News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

I think they have ruined it. Apalling really. Same as what's happening at the Eaton Centre.

I think they have ruined it. Apalling really. Same as what's happening at the Eaton Centre.

I don't know what the library looked like before but the Eaton Centre's design before was brutal and paid no attention to the street. It it weren't so large, it would have closed within years, as urban malls are dinosaurs and almost never work. We need active streets, with storefronts and public spaces. I will admit, the renovation at the Eaton Centre was done on the cheap and there were certainly some missed opportunities; despite this, however, Yonge Street is still the better for it, even if it is lined with cheesy chains and billboards.

I don't think they've "ruined it", but the design definitely doesn't add to it... the exterior was kind of clunky and over bearing to begin with.

The Eaton Centre on the other hand is looking fantastic, definitely a step up.

From the outside the look is a drastic change that's not for the better. But this new design takes human beings into account. The old entrance was dark and small. Walking into the entrance of Toronto General Hospital improved greatly with their reno-this should too. Plus I miss the Eaton Centre's colourful Yonge street facade that disappeared in the 90's. All those little metal blocks of colour that moved in the wind.

I don't mind this development, I think it will really invigorate this stretch of Yonge and add some new dynamic space in the library, which already boasts its fair share. The only thing I plead for is some form of cover over the sidewalk.

Ugly before and ugly after. Drab, boring 1970's design. The inside is better than the outside, though.

no it doesn't

Looks fantastic.

The view looking east down Yorkville will still be a blank brown wall in that aysmmetrical style that was so hip n happening in the 70's. It's not simply a boring building, it's an excruciatingly ugly reminder of a very low point in Canadian architecture. The reno is just lipstick on a pig.

My criticism of the reno is that it's too reverential and timid.

The blank brick walls to the north and east are still a major aesthetic problem: I would have loved to see the addition of some whimsical glass or zinc elements to break up the monotony there.

As for the new entrance, I thought the building already offered a decent view to the south west.

Back