News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

do you support this ad?

• Total voters
The merry-go-round goes around and around...
This proves my point in my last post.

What you prove is you don't actually follow all the teachings of Jesus. In fact I don't think anyone can literally follow them all.

I like Jesus, it's his fan club that makes me cringe.

Trust me. I know a lot more about biblical Christianity and what constitutes a Christian than than you do. I explained what a true Christian is in post #212. This snarky comment only shows that you only hate Christianity and only want to argue for it's own sake.
First, don't assume that none of us have Christian backgrounds, or that many of us don't know just as much about the bible as you. Second, a Christian is simply someone who believes that Jesus was the son of God. Everyone who believes that is by definition a "true" Christian. It's that simple, regardless of what your minister tells you.

you need to grow up and learn how to debate with adults.

Learn how to debate? When I explain thoroughly in a post that the Inquisition was actually not done by genuine Christians (Who in many cases were the victims of the inquisitors.) and someone simply replies--twice--that I'm "rewriting history", it speaks volumes about who the real bratty rabble-rousers are.

"trust me, I know more then you" :rolleyes:

If you had extensive knowledge of something and was debating with a layman, would'nt you say the same thing if he insisting he knew more than you, especially if he's being argumentative?

It proves that you're a narrow minded bigot....but we knew that already, no proof needed.

No. It proves that I realize there are absolutes in this world, something you relativists need to grasp.

If you had extensive knowledge of something and was debating with a layman, would'nt you say the same thing if he insisting he knew more than you, especially if he's being argumentative?

No, that's what you would do, and you'd be labelled an arrogant troll.

If I insisted i knew more then you, I'd be happy to prove it....something you've been asked to do many times, but you won't, because you can't. Instead you arrogantly claim to "know more then the rest of us", consequently, every post you make from now on will be doubted, tossed aside as baseless drivel.

When I explain thoroughly in a post that the Inquisition was actually not done by genuine Christians

Unless you were there, you don't know anything, and your statements are complete fabrications, seemingly pulled from your ass.

No. It proves that I realize there are absolutes in this world, something you relativists need to grasp.

You have no grasp on reality, you have no right to tell anyone else what to do...but that's what 'xtians' like yourself do.

The merry-go-round goes around and around...
This proves my point in my last post.

Your post makes no sense.

Those who carried out the Inquisition were professed christians and carried out their actions in gods name. They believed that their right to arrest, terrorize, torture and kill emanated from god.

Your original statement and subsequent follow-ups are incorrect. Period.

I was quite amused to see this campaign on the buses in London... the atheist movement has been talking about having a louder voice in society for the last couple of years. (Since Richard Dawkins "The God Delusion" came out) Its debatable whether many minds are going to be changed, but I like this ad campaign for its audacity in challenging this traditionally untouchable subject, neatly worded in a very liberating phrase.

Ideally though as others have mentioned, advertising would be strictly limited to products or services and off limits to belief syatems.

p.s. - Prometheus - I always love reading your posts on religion in various threads! Youve definitely seen the light!

Last edited:
Mother Theresa questioned her faith.

Why would Jesus want to seek credit for the good deeds I do? That's seems mighty self centered of him. If religion helped your friend, that is great, but he should accept the credit for himself. If he fell off the wagon would Jesus get credit for the fall too. It seems deities take credit for things like the plane crash where everyone survived, but never when they all die.

The point of that quote wasn't to say "Jesus takes my credit for the good things I do". The point is that you will be judged by your actions and not by your thoughts. Those who do good in the name of any other religion or in the name of nothing will be rewarded. Those who do bad and who claim to be "christian" will be judged as such.

I don't remember Jesus ever claiming to save or down aircrafts.

p.s. - Prometheus - I always love reading your posts on religion in various threads! Youve definitely seen the light!

thanks. i'm glad i saw the light. i just wish i saw it sooner in life.

Quote:

No, that's what you would do, and you'd be labelled an arrogant troll.

If I insisted i knew more then you, I'd be happy to prove it....something you've been asked to do many times, but you won't, because you can't. Instead you arrogantly claim to "know more then the rest of us", consequently, every post you make from now on will be doubted, tossed aside as baseless drivel.

How can I prove something like how many people who profess to be Christians actually are? It's based on intellect and is unprovable by stats. I could always provide a link to a conservative Christian apologetics website, but you would simply write it off as "opinion".

Quote:
When I explain thoroughly in a post that the Inquisition was actually not done by genuine Christians

Unless you were there, you don't know anything, and your statements are complete fabrications, seemingly pulled from your ass.

You didn't have to be there to know that the Reformation was an HISTORICAL FACT and it put an end to the corruption of the established church of the middle ages and ended the persecution by those so-called "Christians".

Quote:

You have no grasp on reality, you have no right to tell anyone else what to do...but that's what 'xtians' like yourself do.

Christians and absolutists don't tell anyone what to do, they just warn of the consequences if people don't. Think about it; take the relativist concept of "I'll just do what's right in MY eyes" and take that to its logical conclusion.

which other translation would you like?

The point of that quote wasn't to say "Jesus takes my credit for the good things I do". The point is that you will be judged by your actions and not by your thoughts. Those who do good in the name of any other religion or in the name of nothing will be rewarded. Those who do bad and who claim to be "christian" will be judged as such.

I don't remember Jesus ever claiming to save or down aircrafts.

LIAR!

Mark 16:14-16 (King James Version)

14Afterward he appeared unto the eleven as they sat at meat, and upbraided them with their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they believed not them which had seen him after he was risen.

15And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

16He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Mark 16:14-16 (Contemporary English Version)

14Afterwards, Jesus appeared to his eleven disciples as they were eating. He scolded them because they were too stubborn to believe the ones who had seen him after he had been raised to life. 15Then he told them:

Go and preach the good news to everyone in the world. 16Anyone who believes me and is baptized will be saved. But anyone who refuses to believe me will be condemned.

Mark 16:14-16 (English Standard Version)

14Afterward(A) he appeared(B) to the eleven themselves as they were reclining at table, and he rebuked them for their(C) unbelief and(D) hardness of heart, because(E) they had not believed those who saw him after he had risen. 15And he said to them, (F) "Go into all the world and(G) proclaim the gospel to(H) the whole creation. 16(I) Whoever believes and is(J) baptized(K) will be saved, but(L) whoever does not believe will be condemned.

You didn't have to be there to know that the Reformation was an HISTORICAL FACT and it put an end to the corruption of the established church of the middle ages and ended the persecution by those so-called "Christians".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luther_and_antisemitism

http://www.religioustolerance.org/jud_pers3.htm

1543: In his 20's, Martin Luther, had expected Jews to convert to Christianity in large numbers. Distressed by their reluctance, he developed a hatred for Jews, as expressed in his letters to Rev. Spalatin in 1514, when he was 31 years of age. He wrote:

"I have come to the conclusion that the Jews will always curse and blaspheme God and his King Christ, as all the prophets have predicted....For they are thus given over by the wrath of God to reprobation, that they may become incorrigible, as Ecclesiastes says, for every one who is incorrigible is rendered worse rather than better by correction." 6

In 1543, he wrote "On the Jews and their lies, On Shem Hamphoras" :

"...eject them forever from this country. For, as we have heard, God's anger with them is so intense that gentle mercy will only tend to make them worse and worse, while sharp mercy will reform them but little. Therefore, in any case, away with them!...What then shall we Christians do with this damned, rejected race of Jews?
First, their synagogues or churches should be set on fire,...
Secondly, their homes should likewise be broken down and destroyed... They ought to be put under one roof or in a stable, like Gypsies.
Thirdly, they should be deprived of their prayer books and Talmuds in which such idolatry, lies, cursing and blasphemy are taught.
Fourthly, their rabbis must be forbidden under threat of death to teach any more...
Fifthly, passport and traveling privileges should be absolutely forbidden to the Jews...
Sixthly, they ought to be stopped from usury. All their cash and valuables of silver and gold ought to be taken from them and put aside for safe keeping...
Seventhly, let the young and strong Jews and Jewesses be given the flail, the axe, the hoe, the spade, the distaff, and spindle and let them earn their bread by the sweat of their noses as in enjoined upon Adam's children...

To sum up, dear princes and nobles who have Jews in your domains, if this advice of mine does not suit you, then find a better one so that you and we may all be free of this insufferable devilish burden - the Jews."

Your post makes no sense.

Those who carried out the Inquisition were professed christians and carried out their actions in gods name. They believed that their right to arrest, terrorize, torture and kill emanated from god.

Your original statement and subsequent follow-ups are incorrect. Period.

They may have believed what they were doing came from God, but they believed W-R-O-N-G, as I said for what...the third time now?

You have got to be the most stubbornly argumentative person I've come across. I think it's time to jump off this merry-go-round now.

LIAR!

Mark 16:14-16 (King James Version)

14Afterward he appeared unto the eleven as they sat at meat, and upbraided them with their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they believed not them which had seen him after he was risen.

15And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

16He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Mark 16:14-16 (Contemporary English Version)

14Afterwards, Jesus appeared to his eleven disciples as they were eating. He scolded them because they were too stubborn to believe the ones who had seen him after he had been raised to life. 15Then he told them:

Go and preach the good news to everyone in the world. 16Anyone who believes me and is baptized will be saved. But anyone who refuses to believe me will be condemned.

Mark 16:14-16 (English Standard Version)

14Afterward(A) he appeared(B) to the eleven themselves as they were reclining at table, and he rebuked them for their(C) unbelief and(D) hardness of heart, because(E) they had not believed those who saw him after he had risen. 15And he said to them, (F) "Go into all the world and(G) proclaim the gospel to(H) the whole creation. 16(I) Whoever believes and is(J) baptized(K) will be saved, but(L) whoever does not believe will be condemned.

:eek:

My God, do you have a freaking Bible on standby? Or is there a handy website where you can quickly get the juiciest bits? Or perhaps you were a huge Bible thumper in the old days, and have the whole thing memorized? :rolleyes:

Anyways "shall be damned" is a really murky phrase. Just exactly what does it mean? Some "fundies" (as they are so lovingly called on this forum) would consider it to mean that "you are going to hell!!! :mad:" while others like me would think it to say that many people will find an emptiness and even ... a sadness if you will without some sort of spirituality. That was the way I felt before I found the church, so I can even relate to that quote.

Ps. Keep your cool. Don't call me a "LIAR!"

:eek:

My God, do you have a freaking Bible on standby? Or is there a handy website where you can quickly get the juiciest bits? Or perhaps you were a huge Bible thumper in the old days, and have the whole thing memorized? :rolleyes:

Anyways "shall be damned" is a really murky phrase. Just exactly what does it mean? Some "fundies" (as they are so lovingly called on this forum) would consider it to mean that "you are going to hell!!! :mad:" while others like me would think it to say that many people will find an emptiness and even ... a sadness if you will without some sort of spirituality. That was the way I felt before I found the church, so I can even relate to that quote.

Ps. Keep your cool. Don't call me a "LIAR!"

why is it murky? damned, either by not going to heaven or burning in hell, jesus/god is saying that he will not reward nonbelievers. you said he would. what does that make you?

Back