Ka1, could you give us a rough estimate of your locker space in cp1/2? Since it is the same builder, I think it would provide some information to compare aura's locker with.

For those that were able to buy lockers during the original release for Aura, did canderel quote you a size and location? I have to agree that 3ft x 3 ft seems ludicrous and it did make me chuckle, but like the previous posters have mentioned it is probably worth it to get for the sole purpose of resale.

Ka1, could you give us a rough estimate of your locker space in cp1/2? Since it is the same builder, I think it would provide some information to compare aura's locker with.

For those that were able to buy lockers during the original release for Aura, did canderel quote you a size and location? I have to agree that 3ft x 3 ft seems ludicrous and it did make me chuckle, but like the previous posters have mentioned it is probably worth it to get for the sole purpose of resale.

Exodus, my locker is appx 5x5x6.5.

No, Canderel did not quote either the size or the location of the locker -- just the amount.

Locker is not only desirable for resale purposes, but also for storing clutter. Locker is like a cage. One can see what is stored in the locker. In the locker room, others have stored suitcases and various other items. I store my humidifer, lawn chairs and summer/winter tires in the locker.

Definitely a very useful item.

Thanks for all the help guys.

In the end I think I will be purchasing the locker. It makes the most sense in the future and I'm sure I'll find junk to throw into it.

KA1, any idea if there's security in the locker areas? I was looking to perhaps store my sporting equipment in the locker. Can the cage be covered?

Thanks for all the help guys.

In the end I think I will be purchasing the locker. It makes the most sense in the future and I'm sure I'll find junk to throw into it.

KA1, any idea if there's security in the locker areas? I was looking to perhaps store my sporting equipment in the locker. Can the cage be covered?

Locker area is a separate room. Entry is by key. Then, each and every locker has its own door and a lock. That's all the security one has it. Needless to say that entry into the condo building itself is restricted. At times, someone had stored stuff in an abandoned locker that did not belong to him. There was no lock but there was a note and phone number for the owner to contact the individual who had stored the things temporarily. Nothing happened to his stuff and none of the other lockers have been broken into -- at least, not to my knowledge. As regards covering the cage, I never asked the question to any one. However, I did hear management company staff talking about not storing items that could be fire hazard. As such, you might be prevented from covering the cage. There is a gap -- at least 1 ft or slightly more -- between the top of the cage and the ceiling. By regulations, no one can store any time there -- because of potential fire hazard.

I would suggest that you hurry to let Canderel know about your intention to buy a locker. They will go fast.

Addendum: Perhaps you could cover your sports equipment to make it less obvious.

Last edited:
Already reserved one so we're all good. Thanks for the locker info, it gives me an idea of what to expect.

Yes, buy a locker if they're still available. The price hasn't increased, it just includes the HST now.

does that mean the previous purchasers who bought lockers for $5k in 2008 had to pay an extra $400 for HST when it was officially rolled out later?

Locker area is a separate room. Entry is by key. Then, each and every locker has its own door and a lock. That's all the security one has it. Needless to say that entry into the condo building itself is restricted. At times, someone had stored stuff in an abandoned locker that did not belong to him. There was no lock but there was a note and phone number for the owner to contact the individual who had stored the things temporarily. Nothing happened to his stuff and none of the other lockers have been broken into -- at least, not to my knowledge. As regards covering the cage, I never asked the question to any one. However, I did hear management company staff talking about not storing items that could be fire hazard. As such, you might be prevented from covering the cage. There is a gap -- at least 1 ft or slightly more -- between the top of the cage and the ceiling. By regulations, no one can store any time there -- because of potential fire hazard.
Are these official/legal definitions for locker spaces in condominiums? do official definitions for lockers even exist in Ontario? As you probably recall, I am still battling out the ghetto closet that they labelled as a ensuite locker, smack dab within my condo unit. There must be some legal definition that can support my case. This is just deceptive practice on Canderel's part...

Are these official/legal definitions for locker spaces in condominiums? do official definitions for lockers even exist in Ontario? As you probably recall, I am still battling out the ghetto closet that they labelled as a ensuite locker, smack dab within my condo unit. There must be some legal definition that can support my case. This is just deceptive practice on Canderel's part...

I sympathise with your feelings on your ensuite locker. I purchased a suite with one too. Not sure what you find deceptive on Candrel's part though.
I understood quite clearly what I was getting when I bought it.

When I originally bought my preconstruction unit, the builder already drew a 'locker' into my floorplan. The builder basically took a closet in my floorplan and labelled it a 'locker', so essentially what I have is an ensuite locker. Since I already owned a 'locker', the builder refused to sell me an addional locker that was externally located from my unit. They limited purchasers to owning only one locker.

Could canderel legally label what is seemingly a closet, and call it a locker? If so, is this common practice amongst condo developers? Secondly, can they legally include the ensuite locker into my total square footage and subsequently purchase price? Should I not expect a refund of the square footage of my ensuite locker?

This would pose further issues down the road related to calculation of maintenance fees which take condo size into consideration. How about resale? How do you expect to market your unit with an ensuite locker? As well, if purchasers want to rent out a locker to a tenent, they are unable to do so since it is ensuite.

Perhaps deceptive is the wrong word. They did not hide the fact that the locker was ensuite. Maybe devious? They were deceptive in their use of terminology in marketing a closet into a locker and denied the purchase of a real locker until now. The price is now $400 more than what it used to be. This is unconventional practice for a builder that poses negative repercussions on the purchaser.

does that mean the previous purchasers who bought lockers for $5k in 2008 had to pay an extra $400 for HST when it was officially rolled out later?

Any purchasers who bought before the HST was announced (July09?) are not required to pay HST on closing. Canderel is simply passing along this extra 8% tax.

Regarding other builders, I think it's becoming more common to release lockers later when the building is nearing completion. I purchased at FIVE and Massey Tower, neither of which have released lockers for sale yet...

Exodus, I’d buy a locker if you can. I think the locker space in your unit is basically just an extra closet (which is also handy to have).

I admit though, it is strange to have “internal†lockers.

Yeah, I will definitely be picking up a locker because I was always wanting to pick one up for the sole purpose of resale. I understand that Canderel is not charging extra as the $400 goes towards HST, but it's still $400 out of pocket, that I could have saved if they initially allowed buyers to purchase a locker and not a ghetto 'clocker' (closet/locker hybrid)

Yeah, I will definitely be picking up a locker because I was always wanting to pick one up for the sole purpose of resale. I understand that Canderel is not charging extra as the $400 goes towards HST, but it's still $400 out of pocket, that I could have saved if they initially allowed buyers to purchase a locker and not a ghetto 'clocker' (closet/locker hybrid)

I'm not convinced you would have saved the $400. I've heard opposite opinions on whether people that bought before the new land transfer tax came in will have to pay it anyway. I believe we'll have to pay it even though we bought before it was enforced. I hope I'm wrong!!!

Regarding other builders, I think it's becoming more common to release lockers later when the building is nearing completion. I purchased at FIVE and Massey Tower, neither of which have released lockers for sale yet...

Exodus, I’d buy a locker if you can. I think the locker space in your unit is basically just an extra closet (which is also handy to have).

I admit though, it is strange to have “internal” lockers.

Many builders are doing this...not offering the lockers until later. They do this because they charge more as one gets closer to completion (along with the idea that prices go up). We were lucky. The builder had a price specified at the time of purchase.
I got my locker put in my contract at the time of signing (for $3500+ GST at the time). Now people are being asked $4500+HST.

I agree with Johnzz....a locker is definitely a plus. However, I don't think someone would not buy a unit because there was no locker. Maybe if the market softens significantly, and there is a lot of choice, it may be an issue. People will buy the one with the locker. You might get your initial investment back but I would not look to sell for more money because of it in my view.

Back