News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

A friend of mine runs small (3-4 people) bussiness of replacing cartridges in printers in North York. He told me RE offices have decreased their orders dramatically , 2 ReMax offices moved to the basements, a few others closed. THe guy who delivers cartridges to clients says those plazas that were impossible to find a parking spot 2 years ago are now 1/3 or half empty. I just can't imagine how in this conditions RE can hold its ground, leave alone rise in price.

Now that is a very interesting way of reading an RE market - printer cartridges. I LOVE IT!! Oftentimes, it's stuff like this that gets overlooked and smart investors think outside the box. I still hold firm to my earlier comments. Home Index Price up means nothing. Quantitative easing might help our RE, but again, that's a dangerous game and fundamentals will have to reset - this is market manipulation at its worst and if prices do go up then there will be an ever larger reckoning. I really don't hope this happens, but if it does. I'll be selling all my properties very soon and getting out while the gettings good.

A friend of mine runs small (3-4 people) bussiness of replacing cartridges in printers in North York. He told me RE offices have decreased their orders dramatically , 2 ReMax offices moved to the basements, a few others closed. THe guy who delivers cartridges to clients says those plazas that were impossible to find a parking spot 2 years ago are now 1/3 or half empty. I just can't imagine how in this conditions RE can hold its ground, leave alone rise in price.

You can also deduce that listings are down as well. A pretty big time agent in North York told me that listings are down.

Or maybe it's got something to do with email, scanning and mobile apps?

Or maybe it's got something to do with email, scanning and mobile apps?

Thinking out of the box. That didn't cross my mind. Good thinking Lucy.

Another slightly off topic extrapolation. No need for R/E offices, decreased cartridges, and more email/scanning and mobile apps: at what point does the realtor himself/herself become less important as less need for their services. I know this is a stretch but is it adding to support to this view. I note that last month the Competition Bureau settled with the R/E board on their anticompetitive issues and apparently MLS will be opened up with "a la carte services". We shall see.

That's because I just did some real estate dealings that involved a lot of virtual passing of paper and very little hard copy :)

Shtopor, jaybee and others. I would like you to wait for a little bit to come to your pessimistic conclusions that sky is falling.At least wait till such time Condo George has made, as always, his latest optimistic post and has backed it up with hard numbers.

You could be in for a pleasant surprise or, perhaps, even a shock.

You owe it to yourself.

Last edited:
In the Real estate collection Fall 2010 magazine of the Globe and Mail there are 2 articles about the market. I am sorry as I can't find it on line to post them. Perhaps someone on the forum could help out. Thanks.

The first is called a period of adjustment and says "to ignore the doomsayers, expert advise. Signs point to strengthening of GTA real estate market in coming months". They do acknowledge that things have been slow and say the luxury above $1000 a foot is wallowing with only 1 sale sin the past month, however 714 suites since Feb were from $714 to $932/sq.ft. Luxury accounted for only 3.9% of all new suites in the previous year in the GTA. At the end o f July they represented 7.4% of all sales in the past 12 months.

They go on to interpret this as the Lower Ranks of Luxury buyers are regaining their confidence and starting again to make life decisions according to Mr. Carras, the President of RealNet.

Finally, they note that there are 25 projects between $714 and $932 and 10 more above that range. Mr. Barry Lyons sates "I can't see anyone launching a new luxury project in the near term future, but I can see those in the market today being slowly absorbed".

COULD CG BE THE MAN??? I still cling to my well expressed views but even if the article is written by all those within real estate and somewhat promoters for R/E and the industry, other than Hi End, it would appear to be moving. That said, I know there are inaccuracies with the statement of only 1 luxury sale over $1000 and I am quite sure this has to do that projects at the high end range do not disclose in all likelihood their monthly sales (since if I was selling say the 4 Seasons, would I want to publicize that we are selling at the rate of 1/month so it will take us 5 years to sell out at this rate? if I have 50 units: I think not.)

The second article is "new Life in luxury condo sector". The explanation is that high end luxury waits and is not in a hurry to make a purchase. The only irony with this statement is that when 4 Seasons, Shangrila were launched, they were selling initially like hotcakes. I realize price point was $700-1200 or so but that was 2007 and that price point now is the $1000 -$1600/sq. ft and higher. Have we abutted a ceiling or is this just a pause I wonder. And if hi end luxury stalls at $1000, does that mean that despite suites selling well below the $1000 which are moving steadily are either next or will they drop?

One other interesting point I thought in the article. "At the Ritz, Mr. Price is seeing greater interest from the local market just now." Does that mean the international investor has bought what he will and is the international investor also nearing the end of his teather in the "investment condo range? I pose the question because if one believes that alot of local buyers rushed to get into the market before July 1, 2010 (beat the HST), there is an increasing proportion of "investors" buying and if these are now going to slow down, does it not mean we have exhausted the main driving force going forward? I pose the question and acknowledge readily I do not know the answer.

New York Times today just confirming what was already anticipated:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/16/business/economy/16fed.html?_r=1&hp

Bernanke Signals Intent to Further Spur Economy

BOSTON — The Federal Reserve chairman, Ben S. Bernanke, indicated on Friday that the central bank was poised to take additional steps to try to fight persistently low inflation and high unemployment.

“Given the committee’s objectives, there would appear — all else being equal — to be a case for further action,” he said in a detailed speech at a gathering of top economists here.

Mr. Bernanke noted that “unconventional policies have costs and limitations that must be taken into account in judging whether and how aggressively they should be used.” But he suggested that the Fed was prepared to manage the risks associated with the most powerful tool remaining in the Fed’s arsenal of weapons to stimulate the economy: vast new purchases of government debt to lower long-term interest rates.

Yet even as Mr. Bernanke sent an unmistakable signal to the markets that the Fed was prepared to wander into uncharted territory, he seemed intent to limit expectations for how much could be achieved.

“One disadvantage of asset purchases relative to conventional monetary policy is that we have much less experience in judging the economic effects of this policy instrument, which makes it challenging to determine the appropriate quantity and pace of purchases and to communicate this policy response to the public,” he said.

Mr. Bernanke addressed a criticism made about the potential for new asset purchases, that they would “reduce public confidence in the Fed’s ability to execute a smooth exit from its accommodative policies at the appropriate time.” Such a reduction in confidence, “even if unjustified,” could lead to an undesirable increase in inflation expectations, he said.

For now, inflation appears remote. As Mr. Bernanke spoke, the government released the September figures for the consumer price index, showing a rise of only 0.1 percent from the previous month. The core inflation rate, excluding energy and food, was flat.

Mr. Bernanke’s comments in Boston strongly suggested that the Federal Open Market Committee, which sets monetary policy, is likely to take new steps at its next meeting on Nov. 2-3.

The Fed’s balance sheet has nearly tripled, to about $2.3 trillion, since the financial crisis of 2008. Most of the increase can be attributed to the Fed’s purchases of $1.7 trillion in mortgage-related securities and Treasury securities in 2009-10. The Fed has tested a number of technical tools to drain the large pool of bank reserves that the Fed created in order to purchase those securities.

“With these tools in hand, I am confident that the F.O.M.C. will be able to tighten monetary conditions when warranted, even if the balance sheet remains considerably larger than normal at that time,” Mr. Bernanke said.

Mr. Bernanke also weighed one other tool the Fed could take: communicating that it intends to keep short-term interest rates at nearly zero for even longer than the markets now expect. (The Fed has been saying since March 2009 that the benchmark federal funds rate, at which banks lend to each other overnight, will remain “exceptionally low” for “an extended period.”) Changing the statement could help lower longer-term rates.

“A potential drawback of using the F.O.M.C.’s statement this way is that, at least without a more comprehensive framework in place, it may be difficult to convey the committee’s policy intentions with sufficient precision and conditionality,” Mr. Bernanke said, hinting that that strategy was not his favored approach.

Mr. Bernanke’s speech followed signals from within the Fed that for all its previous steps to get the economy back on track, new action was needed.

Minutes of the Fed’s most recent policy making meeting, released this week, showed the members divided between those with the view that the Fed should act “unless the pace of economic recovery strengthened,” and others who thought action was merited “only if the outlook worsened and the odds of deflation increased materially.”

The minutes of the meeting of the Federal Open Market Committee, held Sept. 21, indicated that several officials “consider it appropriate to take action soon,” given persistently high unemployment and uncomfortably low inflation.

But other officials “saw merit in accumulating further information before reaching a decision,” according to the minutes.

The risk as they point out is inflating assets which is what the Fed is trying to do. I realize this is the US but again, how do prices continue to rise in an increasingly less inflationary if not deflationary environment. It would seem Mr. Bernancke is in the same camp as the Bond Market in one of my previous posts expecting more trouble ahead and pricing in a poor environment going forward (which in turn is having the perverse effect of lowing mortgage rates thereby risking more people getting into the market with 2 risks: market improves, interest rates go up and how many will be unable to afford that?" and second, market does not improve, job losses continue, economy does badly and all things including real estate have to be "priced to move".

Shtopor, jaybee and others. I would like you to wait for a little bit to come to your pessimistic conclusions that sky is falling.At least wait till such time Condo George has made, as always, his latest optimistic post and has backed it up with hard numbers.

You could be in for a pleasant surprise or, perhaps, even a shock.

You owe it to yourself.

Is this a serious post?

No. I tried to crack a joke. I will stop making these kind of posts in future.

Apologies

Don't stop trying to crack jokes. Some will go over like a lead balloon but we need humour instilled in the forum

After all, humour is the best medicine.

From the Star today:

September home sales drop 20% compared with 2009

AARON HARRIS/Toronto Star By Tony Wong | 29 minutes ago

The weather is turning cooler – and so are sales in the Canadian housing market.

Canadian home sales were up a seasonally adjusted 3 per cent in September over August, according to the Canadian Real Estate Association in figures released Friday.

However, actual year over year activity in September fell by 19.8 per cent compared with 2009.

And unlike the strong increases in past months, prices are flat lining and back to where they were a year ago. Average prices are now at $331,089, down 0.4 per cent from September 2009.

“Supply and demand are rebalancing, and that’s keeping prices steady in many markets,” said CREA president Georges Pahud.

One thing that’s keeping pricing from dropping further is that new listings remain 15 per cent below the peak reached in April, as some vendors have decided to take their homes off the market.

The seasonally adjusted number of months of inventory, representing the time it would take to sell current stock, is at 6.6 months at the end of September, down from 6.9 months in August.

In the Toronto market, sales are down by 22 per cent in August compared with last year.

One moderating factor is that some banks have eased off on mortgage lending rates, said CREA economist Gregory Klump.

“Interest rates are going nowhere fast, so home ownership will remain within reach for many homebuyers.”

Still, CREA does not expect the latest round of low rates to ignite market demand.

“The continuation of low and stable interest rates is unlikely to cause housing demand to take off, especially since the hangover from accelerated home purchases earlier this year is expected to persist for some time.”

So it has finally happened. Prices year on year are actually lower compared to same month. This was predicted. Since prices continued to rise throughout the rest of 2009 expect now further drops year on year even if prices stay the same.

I just hope now for stability or a slight steady decrease of perhaps 5% more and then no growth or minimal loss over the next couple of years. That I think would in fact be a very ideal outcome

Last edited:
One more post to get discussion going:

From the Toronto Star:

http://www.yourhome.ca/homes/realestate/article/874691--cautious-optimism-rules-2011-housing-outlook

Cautious optimism’ rules 2011 housing outlook
October 15, 2010

Tracy Hanes

SPECIAL TO THE STAR

Two well-known economists offered “cautious optimism” at the BILD Economic and Housing Outlook 2011 breakfast in Markham this week.

But Benjamin Tal, senior economist of CIBC World Markets, and Frank Clayton, consulting economist to the Altus Group, warned that the housing market will continue to soften for some time before stabilizing.

“Not everything is rosy in Canada, especially the housing market, and prices are going down,” said Tal. “This will have a significant impact on the economy as a whole.”

He predicted the housing market will continue to slow down over the next six to 12 months, with prices going down another 10 to 11 per cent before conditions stabilize. House values will rise at about the same rate as inflation after that, he said. The current adjustment period will be “painful but necessary.”

The pair also expect interest rates to remain low for at least another year and perhaps for two to three years. “But rates won’t remain low forever,” said Tal. “The current rates are unsustainable

“I doubt we will see interest rates rising in a significant way for 12 months and beyond,” said Tal, saying that today’s consumers are highly sensitive to rising rates, with the most vulnerable being the 35-plus age group with incomes of $50,000 or less. “The mortgage market is not as vulnerable as people think it is.”

He said the number of households with mortgages has fallen, but the amount of mortgages has increased.

Clayton said this year “is looking pretty good, about the same as last year,” but whenever the market weakens, new housing gets hit the hardest
. When new home sales are up, resales are down and vice versa. As new home sales have been outperforming resale this year, he expects the opposite next year. He figures there will be 27,500 GTA new housing starts next year, compared to 33,500 this year. (During the “good days” of 2002 to 2008, there were about 41,800 starts a year).

“The condo market has been a lot stronger than I predicted a year ago,” he said. With 80 per cent of the sales in the first eight months of this year in Toronto, “it’s really a Toronto story.”
A number of factors will influence the housing market including employment/income, affordability, demographics, confidence, the lack of purpose-built rental housing, relative price (new versus resale), land use planning and government-imposed costs.

While Toronto has seemed to have been an island in adding jobs, he said, adding that “unfortunately I think this is going to do down.”

Clayton, like Tal, said no housing market collapse will take place, “but we are moderating.”

In the condo market, he said the owner-occupant market is slowing and will certainly be lower next year; investor buyers, who buy to rent out unit, are likely to continue to absorb new units coming on the market as long as they believe they can make money from renting, but there’s not a lot of data on these buyers.
The investor market is not going to last forever,” Clayton cautioned, as factors like HST and rising costs will affect the rental condo market.

“The condo market is still a question mark in my mind,” he said. “I think we have too much product.”

As far as demographics go, Toronto’s population continues to grow by 100,000 people a year (nearly all immigrants), said Clayton. There is little growth in the 35 to 49 age group, which means little demand for move-up lowrise housing, and while the 50 to 59 age group is growing, they tend to stay put.

“The real growth is the 60- to 69-year-old age group,” said Clayton. “They want to downsize but a lot want ground-related housing or lowrise buildings. I think this is an untapped market for three- to four-storey condos.”

Clayton also predicted that “intensification is here to stay” and the City of Toronto has the potential to accommodate much more housing.

“I hear that low density land supply is constrained, although there is no data on that, but it should help keep the supply of housing under control,” said Clayton.

He predicted that renovation spending (both contracted and cash) will remain reasonably strong this year and next

A number of interesting points: Ben Taal is still predicting a 10-11% futhter decline to come.

Interest rates may stay low for longer than anticipated (as economy not doing well) but will not remain there forever. So buying to "invest for appreciation" given the lag on new product from purchase to market means likely will have to expect a higher mortgage rate when closing the investment down the road.

The number of owner occupied units is decreasing. Also, the investors will stop buying if economics don't make sense. Amazing: Sounds like people are starting to once again say: Fundamentals: I appreciate some wish to just cheerlead and hope for the best but I think ultimately it will come back to "fundamentals".

Now I appreciate these guys have not been right so far in that they have been calling for a correction for a while now but I think that the analysis is logical and the conclusions as well. Picking the exact timing of the price halt/decrease is difficult but that it will occur I think is the only logical conclusion one can come to.

Clayton feels there is too much product.

Back