News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

When I look into my crystal ball I see austerity for Ontario. I see a looming deficit that makes us all a little Greece-like. I see job cuts, I see higher taxes, I see user fees, I see teachers, teacher aids & education workers getting layoff notices. I see Doctors earning less... because expenses increase yet they get cap'd at 2012 rates for the next 10 years. I see less nurses. I see less provincial workers... I see cap'd wages for the next 10 years.

I see smaller pensions... I see smaller increases in pension benefits... I see clawbacks on CPP, and OAS. I see TSFA being cut, I see RRSP being taxed a higher rate... generally I see that governments are going to demand more cash in various ways I haven't even thought of... but they will provide less.

I see the Dalton Government increasing Estate Taxes and Probate Fees as one measure to help reduce the Provincial deficit.

Finally, I see Canadian's moving to Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba... and overseas for a better live...

And guess, which way R/E prices will go then????????

That will be a god opportunity for well-heeled investors/vultures to swoop down and get R/E at basement-bargain prices:rolleyes:o

I am kind of curious who owns and who rents. I wonder if peoples opinion are based on their current living arrangements.

drewp, answer to your question posed, perhaps, in another thread.

Today, I got a letter from Canderel telling me that unit 5902 now, officially, is 6202 and the tentative date of possession is October 1, 2013.

That will be a god opportunity for well-heeled investors/vultures to swoop down and get R/E at basement-bargain prices:rolleyes:o

Dalton McGuilty and his Finance Minister Donut Duncan will reduce spending in Ontario by $18 billion dollars... not just in 2013-14, but every year after that. Those austerity cuts will affect Toronto... Gravy Ford plans for subways or LTRs will be put on hold even though that money been allocated. I have little faith that we even see 10 York constructed, or 120 Harbourfront, or One Yonge or 501 Yonge and bunch of other buildings that are currently in the planned stage... and it's likely but the time AURA registers many of the owners in late 2014 won't be able to get mortgages from the banks... because the CMHC rules will likely change be modified. I could be wrong... but alot can happen in 2 years time... we can compare what we owe on our mortgages in 2020 KA1.

The Berlin Wall fell, the Soviet Union collapsed... and a bunch of other crazy stuff has happened... we don't know what a Rick Santorum US lead government will be like. But... ya... Toronto is so different from the rest of the world... because it's a diverse city full of smart professional Canadians that work hard and are paid really extremely more than people in China and the rest of the developing world... that's why unionized jobs are migrating to those alternative financial centres... and it's why the rest of Ontario is a rust buck state like Ohio.

Dalton McGuilty and his Finance Minister Donut Duncan will reduce spending in Ontario by $18 billion dollars... not just in 2013-14, but every year after that. Those austerity cuts will affect Toronto... Gravy Ford plans for subways or LTRs will be put on hold even though that money been allocated. I have little faith that we even see 10 York constructed, or 120 Harbourfront, or One Yonge or 501 Yonge and bunch of other buildings that are currently in the planned stage... and it's likely but the time AURA registers many of the owners in late 2014 won't be able to get mortgages from the banks... because the CMHC rules will likely change be modified. I could be wrong... but alot can happen in 2 years time... we can compare what we owe on our mortgages in 2020 KA1.

The Berlin Wall fell, the Soviet Union collapsed... and a bunch of other crazy stuff has happened... we don't know what a Rick Santorum US lead government will be like. But... ya... Toronto is so different from the rest of the world... because it's a diverse city full of smart professional Canadians that work hard and are paid really extremely more than people in China and the rest of the developing world... that's why unionized jobs are migrating to those alternative financial centres... and it's why the rest of Ontario is a rust buck state like Ohio.

That's a pretty scary scenario. I think I would need vallium to go to sleep tonight:eek:

drewp, answer to your question posed, perhaps, in another thread.

Today, I got a letter from Canderel telling me that unit 5902 now, officially, is 6202 and the tentative date of possession is October 1, 2013.

Too bad it was ignored. Oh well, I believe people push their own agendas sometime. Anyways 62nd floor, the vews must be amazing. Pictures are a must!!!!!

Too bad it was ignored. Oh well, I believe people push their own agendas sometime. Anyways 62nd floor, the vews must be amazing. Pictures are a must!!!!!

Whenever the time comes, I will let you drop in to take pictures, especially during the night time. To be frank, I do not have a digital camera to upload pictures. I am saving every penny for the BIG down payment and the lowest mortgate. I am insulating myself for any increase in mortgage rates.:)

I am kind of curious who owns and who rents. I wonder if peoples opinion are based on their current living arrangements.

own, and sold a rental property in 2010.
also considering selling principal residence this year and just rent for awhile.

own, and sold a rental property in 2010.
also considering selling principal residence this year and just rent for awhile.

Could this be a trend?? Second person said that to me today. Are people really thinking that there is a correction soon?

Could this be a trend?? Second person said that to me today. Are people really thinking that there is a correction soon?

Is it really feasible to incur R/E closing cost of realtor fees, legal fees, potential mortgage break fee and various other expenses... to avoid a maybe 25% correction in R/E prices? Even, I don't think prices are going to drop that much or more than that... so would it really be worth getting out to get back in... Could you trust your ability to time R/E the way you can short a stock. Houses take time to sell... and then you might not find exactly what your looking for later at the price your willing to pay. And if you're wrong... you'll kick yourself for listening to renting fool like me.

Is it really feasible to incur R/E closing cost of realtor fees, legal fees, potential mortgage break fee and various other expenses... to avoid a maybe 25% correction in R/E prices? Even, I don't think prices are going to drop that much or more than that... so would it really be worth getting out to get back in... Could you trust your ability to time R/E the way you can short a stock. Houses take time to sell... and then you might not find exactly what your looking for later at the price your willing to pay. And if you're wrong... you'll kick yourself for listening to renting fool like me.

I think it would depend on the situation you're in. Are you planning to stay long term? Do you have a lot of equity? There's no blanket answer that applies to everyone.

Look, it's clearly not a postive development on the surface but there are so many factors at play in determining real estate prices. The big two are jobs and population growth. So far both have been steady and who's to say McGuilty has the courage to implement the recommendations of the report? Who knows, it may signal a flood into the GTA of job seekers from suffering regions of the province. Upstate New York may be devastated but New York City marches on, bruised but not beaten. Don't under-estimate the value of intellectual capital in a large yrban region like Toronto. Add to that the wave of foreign capital and things look pretty stable for now. Can you see what's behind that wave? Is another one coming? Will there be calm waters? A storm? Who knows?

When i start to hear about rapidly building inventory of unsold units or my neighbor buying the house across the street from us as an investment then I'll really start to worry. Until then it's business as usual and let's all enjoy the sights & sounds.

Last edited:
Interesting article. Definitely worth the read.

Articles proves one thing that I have been saying all along -- there never was a bubble in Toronto R/E and there is not a bubble to burst. Slow down in the increase in prices ahead, yes. That is not a 'bubble burst'.

Back