News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

From the Star today:

http://business.financialpost.com/2012/05/03/toronto-home-sales-jump-in-april-prices-continue-climb/

Toronto home sales jump in April, prices continue climb

Garry Marr May 3, 2012 – 4:59 PM ET | Last Updated: May 3, 2012 5:07 PM ET
Nathan Denette/National Post

Nathan Denette/National Post

In Toronto, the single detached segment of the market appears to be the strongest with sales up 22% in April from a year earlier.

Comments
Email
Twitter
inShare

Toronto’s housing market continues to be red hot, bucking the trend in other parts of the country.

The country’s largest city had 10,350 transactions in April, an 18% jump from a year ago, according to the Toronto Real Estate Board. Prices also continue to climb with the average transaction price reaching $517,556, an 8.5% jump from a year ago.

Toronto’s numbers come a day after Vancouver —the country’s most expensive market — showed it was suffering from sluggish sales. April sales in Vancouver area were down 12.3% from a year ago and 2.6% from March 2012. It was the worst April since 2001 but prices do continue to hold in British Columbia’s largest city with Vancouver’s benchmark price in April up 3.7% from a year ago to $683,800.

In Toronto, the single detached segment of the market appears to be the strongest with sales up 22% in April from a year earlier.

Related

Vancouver home sales fall to lowest in April since 2001, real estate board says

Putting Toronto's housing boom in perspective

Toronto, Vancouver home markets vulnerable, economists warn

Advertisement

“Interest in single-detached homes has been very high, both in the City of Toronto and surrounding regions. Growth in single-detached listings has not kept up with demand, which means competition between buyers in this market segment increased. With this in mind, it was no surprise that the strongest annual price increase was also experienced in the single-detached segment,” said Richard Silver, TREB president.

The board noted with a larger supply in the condominium apartment segment, price increases were a more moderate 4%.

The board emphasized mortgage rates, still not far off the all-time low hit earlier this year, are driving the market.

“Monthly mortgage payments remain affordable for home buyers in the Greater Toronto Area. While interest rates are generally expected to increase over the next two years, the extent and timing of rate hikes has been thrown into question by slower than expected economic growth in the first quarter of this year. On net, borrowing costs are expected to remain a positive factor influencing home sales through 2012,” said Jason Mercer, senior manager of market analysis for the board.

Posted in: Economy Tags: home sales, housing market

There clearly is a dicotomy between Vancouver and Toronto, and a further dicotomy is playing out between condos which are only slightly higher 4% vs. SFH which are up significantly more.

TORONTO, May 3, 2012 -- Greater Toronto REALTORS® reported 10,350 transactions through the TorontoMLS System in April 2012. This level of sales was 18 per cent higher than the 8,778 firm deals reported in April 2011. The strongest sales growth was reported in the single-detached market segment, with transactions of this home type up by 22 per cent compared to a year ago.

“Interest in single-detached homes has been very high, both in the City of Toronto and surrounding regions. Growth in single-detached listings has not kept up with demand, which means competition between buyers in this market segment increased. With this in mind, it was no surprise that the strongest annual price increase was also experienced in the single-detached segment,” said Toronto Real Estate Board President, Richard Silver.

The average price for April 2012 transactions was $517,556 – up 8.5 per cent compared to April 2011. While price growth was strongest for single-detached homes, the better-supplied condominium apartment segment experienced a more moderate annual rate of price growth, at four per cent.

“Monthly mortgage payments remain affordable for home buyers in the Greater Toronto Area. While interest rates are generally expected to increase over the next two years, the extent and timing of rate hikes has been thrown into question by slower than expected economic growth in the first quarter of this year. On net, borrowing costs are expected to remain a positive factor influencing home sales through 2012,” said Jason Mercer, TREB’s Senior Manager of Market Analysis.

Average price of a home in the "416" - $568,436 up 8% y/y
Average price of a detached house in the "416" - $831,214 up 9% y/y
Average price of a condo in the "416" - $360,807 up 3% y/y

http://www.torontorealestateboard.c...ket_updates/news2012/nr_market_watch_0412.htm

An anecdotal story...

An artist friend of mine and his gf bought a fixer upper east end townhouse in March of 2009 at $330k with 5% down. They just sold at $550k, for a $150k profit (net of reno/transaction costs), and are moving to Hamilton where they are buying a larger nicer property at half the price.

Lucky guy timed the market perfectly.

In their former house they had zero savings, a lot of debt and a crapload of worry about rates and future house prices. In the new house they have 40% equity, and savings equal to 20% of the house price.

Just an anecdotal story, and I'm not claiming it to be a trend. But he and his gf are delighted and relieved.

^^^
daveto:

I appreciate that your story is anecdotal.

The reality is that many people cannot do what your friend did.

This action, by the way, is a 2 sided sword. Imagine if he had to move from Hamilton to Toronto. He either could not do it at all or would have lost a lot of equity since Hamilton has not kept up in absolute dollar terms to Toronto.

For most of us, we end up moving within markets...stay within TO and may move neighbourhoods. Barring gross changes from 1 neighbourhood to another, there will not be a great gain or loss.

I believe it just accentuates the principal that in an up market you want to trade down and in a down market trade up since while the percentage changes may be the same, in absolute dollars you end up ahead. Of course the problem is to know exactly when to do it. If we all knew that, we'd all be rich.

Kudos and I am really happy for your artist friend.

Definitely two sided sword. We moved from a small community to the city. Let's just say that there are huge differences in pricing ...

ETA: I don't know about blue, but definitely not HappyLucy! :)

Last edited:
I've also got friends with similar stories. But the thought of moving to Hamilton makes me shudder :)

I've been considering Windsor myself. Cheapish land (looking for 5 acres), near a major airport, 5 hours (by train) to Toronto, bottommed out so prices may start to increase a bit as auto manufacturing returns, etc.

I've been considering Windsor myself. Cheapish land (looking for 5 acres), near a major airport, 5 hours (by train) to Toronto, bottommed out so prices may start to increase a bit as auto manufacturing returns, etc.

Definitely cheap.
I don't know if it will recover "ever" to previous. Just look at Detroit.
Also, I think I would try it first renting if you have been living in Toronto as the "culture shock" may be more than what you anticipate.
I appreciate perhaps you have been living in the past in smaller towns in Ontario but I think it will definitely be different.
Just my initial thoughts.

I just don't like it. I don't find it very walkable, there are areas not terribly well served by transit, not much in the way of theatre, driving on the Linc or the 403 can be horrendous, not thrilled with the shopping. Had some excellent experiences with the medical system though.

I just don't like it. I don't find it very walkable, there are areas not terribly well served by transit, not much in the way of theatre, driving on the Linc or the 403 can be horrendous, not thrilled with the shopping. Had some excellent experiences with the medical system though.

Thanks for answering my question! I am just curious as why there is so much hate for a city that is surrounded by nature (lakes, bays, waterfalls, escarpment, ravines everywhere), beautiful historical homes for affordable prices (think the Annex but affordable), and great medical system.

To me, Hamilton sounds like a better alternative to suburban living (for those who can't afford living in the Toronto Core)

Ah, that may be the thing: I don't like suburban living :) I also don't like small towns -- I lived in one for 25+ years and am now loving being in the city core.

Fair enough!

Now let's get back to topic. Did the bubble burst yet?

Hardly Radioheadmike: Look at posts 5757 and 5758.
Condos up 3% year on year: Houses 8% year on year. (In the 416). But I still believe it is coming and eventually (maybe in 100 years I will be right...but I think it will be sooner).
Toronto is up

Back