News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

recharts.

I like the data you are providing. I assume it is correct.

However, as Kenny did point out, perhaps the rethoric could be toned down slightly while still making your point.

May I ask a personal question.....do you own or rent, and have you owned in the past? I appreciate this is a personal question which you need not answer but I wonder why the extreme desire to convince all that the the market is "crashing".

I believe I am a fairly balanced person with an interest in the discussion and will readily admit that I am a small landlord, however, a well capitalized one. As such, a drop of 10 or 15% will be of absolutely no importance to me. Given the 10% transaction costs, not to mention that if one has a capital gain 1/4 of that money will disappear and for investors who have been depreciating their properties who will have to declare recaptured depreciation, there is very little incentive to sell.

Let me explain by actual numbers. Say you have a condo which you bought at $200K 7-8 years and for simplicity it is worth $300K today. Depending on your tax bracket...let's say 40% your $100K capital gain at 1/2 taxable rates is $20K of income tax.
Your sales commission @ 5% is $15K. Let's say you have legals and soft costs of $2K. Then if you depreciated @2% the first year and 4%/year thereafter...let's call it 26% on say $250K that is another approximately $52K of depreciation you will have to declare or this@40% tax or $21K which totals totals $58K on $300K or approximately 20 %.

So as long as you are not in a loss position on your condo, why would you sell unless there is at least a 20% drop and probably more like a 25-30% drop if you view rental condos or properties as an investment as opposed to a flip? Furthermore, where do you invest the $242K ($300K-58K)? and get a better return on your condo. For some of us, we are happier to get some rental revenue. Now @ current prices, I agree the rental market does not make sense but unless you bought in the past 2-3 years, you are probably fine.

I appreciate there are others on the margin and they will get burnt but there is probably a fair amount of the market / rental market that is reasonably well capitalized. In fact, that segment is probably waiting on the sidelines for some correction....not the massive one people seem to want which I think will not happen. In fact, a 20-25% drop in prices might just start to bring them into line where it becomes reasonable to invest.

I may be wrong but I do not believe we will have a 1989 style meltdown....interest rates are simply not where they were then and rents back then were similar though slightly lower than now and even that was about 40% decline from peak. Also, we did not experience 30% year on year price escalation as was the case in 1986-1989.

But I readily admit, I do not have a crystal ball.

This statement is ironic in itself

The irony is that the very home owners (I would rather call them mortgage owners) contributed big time to the very bubble that we are having these days
It is interesting how you call "realistic" a very well biased attitude. We have 70% ownership in Canada. Many have became owners lately, why would they favor or express a view that will show they made the wrong decision? Of course this biased attitude is dominant these days hence your conclusion that it must be right. But if it would be that simple we would never have housing bubbles

The always go up side is mostly muted these days.
Most of them are hopping that the things will hopefully stay as they are and it is not going to crash (the soft landing that nobody has seen so far in any other country
).

I have no idea if Flaherty and Carney and the lot will "manufacture" a soft landing....however recharts I am of the view that for those expecting a US style, Spain or Ireland style crash will be disappointed....fortunately because this hurts a lot more people than just those who invested in property....read the general economy and job layoffs etc.

Again a look at the markets there, especially the US where it was hard hit, resembled the 1986 to 1989 run up in Toronto in that the gains were far outpacing what occurred here. Yes our real estate is high priced compared to the US but as others have said, barring a trigger, you will not see a massive decline.

I think the fact that you see listings declining somewhat and people being cautious is a good thing....this is happening before the crash and has a chance to avert it. We can argue whether things are crashing but the declines in the 3-5% range are hardly "crashing". Please see my other post on the reasons why I do not think investors will throw in the towel....unless the situation changes markedly and they are forced to.

I have no idea if Flaherty and Carney and the lot will "manufacture" a soft landing....however recharts I am of the view that for those expecting a US style, Spain or Ireland style crash will be disappointed....fortunately because this hurts a lot more people than just those who invested in property....read the general economy and job layoffs etc.

Again a look at the markets there, especially the US where it was hard hit, resembled the 1986 to 1989 run up in Toronto in that the gains were far outpacing what occurred here. Yes our real estate is high priced compared to the US but as others have said, barring a trigger, you will not see a massive decline.

I think the fact that you see listings declining somewhat and people being cautious is a good thing....this is happening before the crash and has a chance to avert it. We can argue whether things are crashing but the declines in the 3-5% range are hardly "crashing". Please see my other post on the reasons why I do not think investors will throw in the towel....unless the situation changes markedly and they are forced to.

Your other post is built on the idea that the investors bought 7-8 years ago.
Fullscreen-capture-19062013-61502-PM.jpg

See how many entered the market at cheap rates and high prices ?
f1p0.jpg

Well NONE of those guys fits your description yet they are a high percentage of the people who currently own.
I wish them goodluck
If was realtor I would start analyzing how long the sellers have own the currently for sale condos
That will tell you how the market is doing....and what the future holds for us

Attachments

• Fullscreen-capture-19062013-61502-PM.jpg
    Fullscreen-capture-19062013-61502-PM.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 324
Recharts, that 2nd graph from 2007 to 2012 is very helpful. I think it speaks to my point that prices from 2010 or 2011, the past 2-3 years are where it has become unmanageable. I do not believe just because our prices are double the US prices at present that this means we will melt in 1/2. That is just my view.

the other graph (1st graph) shows clearly that 2011 and 2012 are the problem years with excess high rise product. Given the low amount of product in 2009 I would accept 2010 as being OK and catchup.

I would not be buying from 2011 onwards "AS AN INVESTOR" because the price/sq.ft. was simply too high. Even 2010 was borderline. So speculators poorly capitalized may well be in trouble. Most normal investors will tolerate 1-2% easily in rise in interest rates and mortgage rates, and will in any event be able to carry even if there is minor negative cash flow. People very extended who have to refinance, or with situational change, will loose.

As with all markets, there will be winners and losers. However, if you were an speculator hoping to flip at a profit.....I think you are best off to get out quickly.

Finally, yes I illustrated an example of 7 years ago. I could have done the math with 3 years ago (2010). While not as striking, you still loose a fair amount of equity that you have left to reinvest if you sell. I think those in 2011 and 2012 may be underwater but unless they have no ability to close or to carry a couple of years of negative cash flow, they should not be investing. I am not being cruel but one should only take on as much risk as is reasonable. 5%-10% equity with the hope of flipping is not and never was reasonable investing and in fact was just gambling. However, the past 13 years the roulette wheel has come up red every time (save the 9 months stall in 2008 to 2009) so you had to win if you bet red. We know the law of averages and that we may well have 5-10 years of black now.

You can speculate how long you want but here are the cold numbers for the first 15 days of July

Sold under:1286
Sold over:80
Sold for asking:152
June
Average 416:366532
Average 905:288604
AverageGTA:343546

July

Average sale price in GTA (condos+townhouse condos):340965
Average sold under in GTA (condos+townhouse condos):-2.4 <--- this is calculated based on the MLS declared "sold under" values **)
Average DOM:31.23
Dollar Volume:517586148

Average Toronto Condos:354031 (4.42% down)
Average GTA Condos:288354

Let's see how TREB is twisting the numbers this month
There might be a couple of more properties not reported yet as sold but I don't think that they will change much the above number.

Bottom line: GTA is still holding the line (surprisingly) while TO is going down the drain !

**=they differ from real numbers because the real estate agents change the MLS numbers and they reset the initial date of the listing (they make it look like a new listing)

Recharts, that 2nd graph from 2007 to 2012 is very helpful. I think it speaks to my point that prices from 2010 or 2011, the past 2-3 years are where it has become unmanageable. I do not believe just because our prices are double the US prices at present that this means we will melt in 1/2. That is just my view.

the other graph (1st graph) shows clearly that 2011 and 2012 are the problem years with excess high rise product. Given the low amount of product in 2009 I would accept 2010 as being OK and catchup.

I would not be buying from 2011 onwards "AS AN INVESTOR" because the price/sq.ft. was simply too high. Even 2010 was borderline. So speculators poorly capitalized may well be in trouble. Most normal investors will tolerate 1-2% easily in rise in interest rates and mortgage rates, and will in any event be able to carry even if there is minor negative cash flow. People very extended who have to refinance, or with situational change, will loose.

As with all markets, there will be winners and losers. However, if you were an speculator hoping to flip at a profit.....I think you are best off to get out quickly.

Finally, yes I illustrated an example of 7 years ago. I could have done the math with 3 years ago (2010). While not as striking, you still loose a fair amount of equity that you have left to reinvest if you sell. I think those in 2011 and 2012 may be underwater but unless they have no ability to close or to carry a couple of years of negative cash flow, they should not be investing. I am not being cruel but one should only take on as much risk as is reasonable. 5%-10% equity with the hope of flipping is not and never was reasonable investing and in fact was just gambling. However, the past 13 years the roulette wheel has come up red every time (save the 9 months stall in 2008 to 2009) so you had to win if you bet red. We know the law of averages and that we may well have 5-10 years of black now.

Last edited:
You can speculate how long you want but here are the cold numbers for the first 15 days of July

Your average, is that mean or median?

If mean, please give a breakdown of the $1M+ sales.

Second, you say 4.42% down. Down relative to what? June or 2012 prices?

You also don't indicate what movement there was movement in the asking price median.

There are still too many "sold over"s; buyers are still being silly and paying far too much or agents are mispricing properties.

Nobody pays the used car salesman more than the sticker price. It's that way for real-estate in most places too. Sales over asking should be very rare.

Either way, based on the incomplete numbers you presented; I would say Toronto over the last 2 weeks was still a sellers market.

Some variation of a Money Flow Index over the last 5 years would be interesting to see. Base it on a median price with bi-monthly periods.

Last edited:
around 11 units sold above $1M
average for under $1M is 341K

That is for Toronto and relative to June
You have the June values quoted above and you could actually calculate to see if that is relative to June :)

Last edited:
The best way to know the numbers is to use a yoy approach, NOT a month to month approach. You are not factoring the seasonal fluctuations. I would be more interested to see what July 2012 vs. July 2013 were, considering July last year was a slow month. Once again your numbers are skewed by your obvious need to push your biased opinion. If only you were objective, then I would be more interested in your charts and theories, but sadly you sound more like a lonely troll with who can't afford real estate.

The best way to know the numbers is to use a yoy approach, NOT a month to month approach. You are not factoring the seasonal fluctuations. I would be more interested to see what July 2012 vs. July 2013 were, considering July last year was a slow month. Once again your numbers are skewed by your obvious need to push your biased opinion. If only you were objective, then I would be more interested in your charts and theories, but sadly you sound more like a lonely troll with who can't afford real estate.
You are more interested to discredit me than to move your ass and compare the stats available on TREB's site with what I posted above.
Compare unadjusted with adjusted and tell us what your highness will understand

I am strongly biased when I post just numbers huh ?
Sadly you sound like an bankrupt investor ....

Rather than pay Switzerland costs in Toronto I will move to Switzerland or any European city.
Your comments on what I can afford and what I can;t are as baseless as your entire comment.

You might want to explain an 8% gap between detached prices in June and mid July ... THAT IS A LOT. I doubt that that is my bias.
Your beloved match boxes in TO are down 4% from June and 3% from June 2012
http://recharts.blogspot.ca see the last post

And the month is not over!

Last edited:
Recharts a thought for you and others:

Regarding the TO downtown market.

Might it be safe to assume that given that condos have been getting smaller and smaller over the past few years that the sales represent more and more a skewing of smaller units.

I wonder if there would be any way to actually get an idea of what the cost / sq.ft. in downtown TO has done. I know I have seen some numbers before that suggested about a 1% decline in cost/sq.ft. though I do not recall where. I am talking about the resale market...not the new condo market from builders/developers.

Can someone shed some light?

Recharts, do you happen to have this data month to month as well?

It so happens that I have that info (not exact numbers but heat maps).
As you can guess I can generate tons of graphs and stats. There is plenty on my blog but who cares... :)
These two heat maps are a month apart ans ..just look at the downtown ares and see how the orange leaves the ares to make room for yellow (downtown east side of C01) and how green is invading the west side of C01.

http://recharts.blogspot.ca/2013/06/new-gta-condos-bidding-wars-debunked.html

http://recharts.blogspot.ca/2013/07/gta-condo-stats-july-15-toronto-4.html

zoom in
the color codes ($/sqft) are at the right side of the heat map, the so called legend.

That being said this discussion is over for me
I gave you the numbers if you want to speculate and find all sort of reasons not to trust the numbers feel free to do so but I consider that I gave you enough reasons to think and to change your views if you still believe we are doing OK in TO

Recharts a thought for you and others:

Regarding the TO downtown market.

Might it be safe to assume that given that condos have been getting smaller and smaller over the past few years that the sales represent more and more a skewing of smaller units.

I wonder if there would be any way to actually get an idea of what the cost / sq.ft. in downtown TO has done. I know I have seen some numbers before that suggested about a 1% decline in cost/sq.ft. though I do not recall where. I am talking about the resale market...not the new condo market from builders/developers.

Can someone shed some light?

Recharts, do you happen to have this data month to month as well?

Last edited:
It so happens that I have that info (not exact numbers but heat maps).
As you can guess I can generate tons of graphs and stats. There is plenty on my blog but who cares... :)
These two heat maps are a month apart ans ..just look at the downtown ares and see how the orange leaves the ares to make room for yellow (downtown east side of C01) and how green is invading the west side of C01.

http://recharts.blogspot.ca/2013/06/new-gta-condos-bidding-wars-debunked.html

http://recharts.blogspot.ca/2013/07/gta-condo-stats-july-15-toronto-4.html

zoom in
the color codes ($/sqft) are at the right side of the heat map, the so called legend.

That being said this discussion is over for me
I gave you the numbers if you want to speculate and find all sort of reasons not to trust the numbers feel free to do so but I consider that I gave you enough reasons to think and to change your views if you still believe we are doing OK in TO

Recharts,
I profess my ignorance. Perhaps I am not teasing out the information that is there. A range of $300-$350/sq.ft. does not give me the info I was seeking. I wish to know the cost/sq.ft. and how much that has declined, not average prices of condos declining since surely as condos do sell on a cost/sq.ft. basis, if the mix of condos is getting smaller one could reasonably expect a decline in prices at some point.
I am interested in open discussion and observation and perhaps seeking explanations as to why certain things are happening.
I was in no way trying to be an apologist for a declining market if that is what is happening but equally I am not interested in deriding others for having a different view/interpretation than my own.
I really fail to understand the need to be insulting to other posters. This in my view simply stifles reasonable conversation and I certainly find it unpleasant as I am sure other posters do.
I would ask that you and others who resort to this tactic please bear that in mind in the future. I find 95% of the posts and discussion here helpful and interesting and lead to a sharing of different points of view so we can all become more informed and make intelligent decisions.

I am kind of sick of this
When one sees prices going up and data p[osted by TREB nobody questions that
When one posts data showing a decline then the approach changes:
-are we looking at the same sort fo properties
-are they in the same building
-do they have comparable price per sqft
-is this the median or the mean
-is this year over year or month over month
-etc etc etc

And the hair splitting goes on and on....nobody bothers to counter with data and their analysis, just a barrage of questions and doubts
Common sense has left the table, we have a f..king high Debt to GDP ratio, high prices and low salaries, insane low interest rates and RE accounts for a high percentage of our GDP and we are splitting the hair here with the above.

There is no way we are going to get anywhere by selling the same houses every two years.

This is how I see it.

As for you (and others) being deranged by my tone, forgive but I find highly and equally insulting the very polite but undocumented and unsubstantiated questions that some of you ask. The intended and well played ignorance with clear intentions to keep this "house porn" (TM Gath Turner) going on is more nocive and insulting than you believe.
As an adopted Canadian I realize that this country is going to hell day by day and inch by inch and it is dragged in that direction by perceptions like this: we invest in RE we make money we progress. We ask for benefits, pension plans, we bank sick days, we abuse the system to the maximum extent allowed like there is no tomorrow and no future. You might have no idea where years of lies like these can get us but I do because I lived in such a system.

Do you have ANY idea why Germany is where it is ?
Let's have a high level view of some of their rules and regulations regarding RE:

Understanding property taxes is important when selling property:

If property is sold less than 10 years after the purchasing date, any profit made by owning the property will be taxed at a rate of 15 percent.
After owning the property for more than 10 years, any profit made on the property is tax free for private individuals but taxed for businesses.
If the same property owner sells more than three pieces of property within five years, the seller must also pay commercial tax.

By law, houses older than 25 years must have new roofing, new windows and a new heating system. A professional survey on the standard of the property in question will help avoid unforeseen costs. An official surveyor (amtlich vereidigter Sachverständiger) from the local building office (Bauamt) can be engaged for this task.

Fees are negotiable and not regulated by law. However, in most cases it ranges from 1.5 – 3 percent of the purchase price plus VAT (currently 19 percent). Who will pay the fee is again negotiable depending on the situation.

I bet you that if we had such laws we wouldn't be experiencing this RE mania and addiction.
This country is mostly preocupied with selling resources and homes.
We are not able to keep up and running any good business that requires work and talent.
Nortel and RIM and just two epic Canadian failures. Why? Exactly because of what I mentioned above: our outstanding parasitic approach toward any sort of source of good income. Drain it, suck it like a leach and leave it dead, eventually make others to pay the price.

So forgive me if, when I see small landlords (not targeting anybody in particular here) or quasi investors questioning the possibility that RE might go down soon and denying the fact that the current prices are kept high artificially, I feel like insulted.

My message to you is this: let's put aside the gloves of politically correctness and let's look at this straight, let it be a fair bare fists fight, some might get hurt but we will eventually learn to stay of our own feet.

Recharts,
I profess my ignorance. Perhaps I am not teasing out the information that is there. A range of $300-$350/sq.ft. does not give me the info I was seeking. I wish to know the cost/sq.ft. and how much that has declined, not average prices of condos declining since surely as condos do sell on a cost/sq.ft. basis, if the mix of condos is getting smaller one could reasonably expect a decline in prices at some point.
I am interested in open discussion and observation and perhaps seeking explanations as to why certain things are happening.
I was in no way trying to be an apologist for a declining market if that is what is happening but equally I am not interested in deriding others for having a different view/interpretation than my own.
I really fail to understand the need to be insulting to other posters. This in my view simply stifles reasonable conversation and I certainly find it unpleasant as I am sure other posters do.
I would ask that you and others who resort to this tactic please bear that in mind in the future. I find 95% of the posts and discussion here helpful and interesting and lead to a sharing of different points of view so we can all become more informed and make intelligent decisions.

Last edited:

June
Average 416:366532
Average 905:288604
AverageGTA:343546

July

Average sale price in GTA (condos+townhouse condos):340965
Average sold under in GTA (condos+townhouse condos):-2.4 <--- this is calculated based on the MLS declared "sold under" values **)
Average DOM:31.23
Dollar Volume:517586148

Average Toronto Condos:354031 (4.42% down)
Average GTA Condos:288354

Let's see how TREB is twisting the numbers this month
There might be a couple of more properties not reported yet as sold but I don't think that they will change much the above number.

Above in bold you reference 1,518 sales (and avg condo prices of $341), but you didn't say what those sales refer to. I presume they are condos+townhouses?

TREB's 2012 july mid-month data references 1481 sales, and average condo prices of $329k.
http://www.torontorealestateboard.c...market_updates/news2012/nr_mid_month_0712.htm

So that would be a 2% increase in sales volumes, and a 4% avg price increase.

I'm a RE bear, but those figures demonstrate ongoing strength in the market (although I wonder if rising rates might have brought demand forward)

Last edited:

Back