News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I predict some buyers' remorse coming soon...

Lawrence Park ‘fixer upper’ gets 72 offers, goes for 195 per cent of asking

As bidding wars go, it was the ultimate battle and a warning for frantic buyers bracing for spring market: A five-bedroom detached house in the Yonge and Lawrence area has sold for almost double its $699,000 list price with a record 72 offers.

“We expected in the $1.1 million range, but the market pushed it,” said listing agent Bradley Hutton, who sold the Glencairn Ave. house for $1.366 million, about 195 per cent of list price.

More than 1,000 people booked appointments or toured the 1930s Glencairn Ave. fixer-upper over the last 10 days before the offer deluge Sunday night. About 80 per cent of the offers were for over $1 million, even though the house, on a 30 by 127.66 foot lot in prime Lawrence Park, was being sold in “as is” condition.

^ 1,000 booked appointments - astonishing!

The "double ending" tactic does seem like a sleazeball move as well... especially in this instance. It's almost as if all the people who weren't Hutton's clients really had no chance at getting the house in the first place.

An attractive alternative to condo investing maybe this ......

April 29, 2014 2:52 am JST

Ukraine tensions drive nickel prices higher

TOKYO -- International nickel prices are climbing as tensions in Ukraine raise the specter of supply instability.

The metal settled at around $18,600 a ton on the London Metal Exchange on Monday after touching a 15-month high of $18,715.

The U.S. and Europe on Monday announced additional economic sanctions against Russia, which continues to intervene in Ukraine. Russian resource company Norilsk Nickel accounts for nearly 20% of world nickel production and many feel it will eventually become a sanctions target if tensions continue to escalate.

Nickel prices have also been driven higher by rising ore prices as a result of Indonesia's ban on nickel ore exports. Philippine ore is gaining popularity as a substitute, with prices currently around $80 a ton, 2.6 times what they were in January prior to the ban.

Speculative money is also flowing into the LME, which currently has more than 230,000 open contracts on nickel, 10% more than at the end of March.

Tensions in Ukraine are also pushing up other commodity prices. Palladium is at a 13-year high on the Tokyo Commodity Exchange and wheat has rebounded to more than $7 a bushel on the Chicago market.

(Nikkei)

As bidding wars go, it was the ultimate battle and a warning for frantic buyers bracing for spring market: A five-bedroom detached house in the Yonge and Lawrence area has sold for almost double its $699,000 list price with a record 72 offers.

“We expected in the $1.1 million range, but the market pushed it,” said listing agent Bradley Hutton, who sold the Glencairn Ave. house for $1.366 million, about 195 per cent of list price.

More than 1,000 people booked appointments or toured the 1930s Glencairn Ave. fixer-upper over the last 10 days before the offer deluge Sunday night. About 80 per cent of the offers were for over $1 million, even though the house, on a 30 by 127.66 foot lot in prime Lawrence Park, was being sold in “as is” condition.

Odd how the realtor basically boasts about lowballing it.

Here's the photo of the house, if anyone is interested.

115_glencairn.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo.jpg

If I can add my 2 cents, I really hate these types of articles. Partially to blame are the journalists who feel this is newsworthy. Selling X% above asking is meaningless when you list significantly below market value so that X figure is simply for sensationalism. Based on location, that house would've sold over $1M anyway.

The other point, as others have noted, was that the listing agent double ended the transaction, meaning he brought in the buyer, meaning he likely cut his co-operating commission, meaning the seller pays out less commissions overall, meaning their lower offer would be equivalent to a non-client potential buyer's higher offer, but I digress.

Here's the photo of the house, if anyone is interested.

115_glencairn.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo.jpg

If I can add my 2 cents, I really hate these types of articles. Partially to blame are the journalists who feel this is newsworthy. Selling X% above asking is meaningless when you list significantly below market value so that X figure is simply for sensationalism. Based on location, that house would've sold over $1M anyway.

The other point, as others have noted, was that the listing agent double ended the transaction, meaning he brought in the buyer, meaning he likely cut his co-operating commission, meaning the seller pays out less commissions overall, meaning their lower offer would be equivalent to a non-client potential buyer's higher offer, but I digress.

House is on a nice street. Easily worth $1,300,000 because finished properly it could go for over $2,000,000 I'm sure.

Story is really more about an effective selling tactic than an overpriced house.

Reflecting further, consider the high demand for North Yonge housing in close walking proximity to amenities and mass transit. That's a very positive trend for the city.

I disagree with the second sentence.

I agree with above statement. property will not go for 2m. max $1,785,000. if its a flip its not a good investment at all.
land transfer tax on 1.365m= 47k
reno 2000 sqft x $150sqft = 300k+++
resale realtor 3%-5%= 53k- 88k
lawyer buy/sell= 5k
carrying cost 6 months to flip= 50k
total=490k+1.365m= 1.855 break even
it don't make cents at the end of the day

comparable for sale with a bigger lot 33.33x186.16 FT vs 30X127.66 ft.
realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?PropertyId=14321733

Last edited:
There is no reason to price it that low......and no reason to call this news when it was priced so poorly. Might as well have priced it at one dollar.

Hey Eug, I stumbled across an article today talking about US homeowners and the percentage of them that have buyers remorse. This may be coming to Canada sooner than we think.

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/homeowners-regrets-buying-a-house-redfin-163113390.html

When Jennifer Berry, 41, purchased a home in Grand Rapids, Mich. with her husband in 2001, they had a simple plan: live there for 10 years or so, cash in on the equity and upgrade. Thanks to the financial crisis, things didn’t quite go as planned. Her husband’s business failed, they separated and she was forced to sell the home at a loss.

“Instead of gaining equity, [our home] actually lost equity and I ended up literally paying someone to buy it just so I could get out from under it and save my credit score,” says Berry, who now rents her home. “I’m looking at retirement in 20 years and thinking about having to take out a 30-year mortgage now and worry about [the upkeep] drives me crazy.”

Berry isn't the only one suffering from homebuyer's remorse. One out of four homeowners admit they wouldn’t buy their home again if they had the chance, according to a recent survey by real estate brokerage Redfin.

The biggest factor contributing to homebuyers’ remorse appeared to be affordability. Nearly one-third of homeowners who reported a household income of less than $100,000 said they were unhappy with their decision. In contrast, just 14% of homeowners who earned more than $100,000 said they were unhappy, according to the survey.
Younger homeowners were also more likely to have regrets. About 28% of homeowners under 65 said they regretted buying their home, compared to 14% of senior homeowners. And one in five homeowners with kids still living at home said they regretted their home purchase as well.
Redfin’s findings come around the same time as new home sales have begun to lag in the U.S. Sales of single-family homes fell by 14.5% to an eight-month low in March, with just 384,000 units sold. Experts have blamed slow sales on bad weather, low home inventory, rising mortgage rates, and a rise in vacant homes (homes that are under repair or being rented). Whatever the case, one thing is certain — buyers today are at a distinct disadvantage when it comes to finding a home that meets every point on their checklist.

“One of the biggest regrets homeowners have is feeling pressured [to buy],” says Marshall Park, a Redfin agent based in Washington, D.C. “There aren’t enough homes on sale now, they’re sort of under the gun to buy their home.

Half of homeowners admitted to having regrets about their home purchase in a similar study by Trulia released last August. The majority of people with buyer’s remorse said they regretted choosing a home that wasn’t large enough for them. One in five homeowners said they wish they’d inspected the home more carefully before moving in — a trend that doesn’t surprise Park.

In order to compete with other bidders, he’s seen many homeowners signing contracts and moving in without getting a professional home inspection.
“In competitive markets like D.C., it’s not rare to just forego a home inspection or say you won’t ask for any repairs,” he says. “People are doing that and purchasing properties they could possibly have to dump tens of thousands of dollars into later.”

This is the kind of mistake that Trulia real estate expert Michael Corbett says is a “disaster waiting to happen.”
“I would never waive an inspection,” he says. “I would pass on the house before I’d waive on an inspection, mainly because I may get to a house and realize [too late] that there are issues.”

In other cases, owners said they loved their home but were unhappy with their chosen neighborhood. Neighborhood-related complaints made up four of the top 20 homeowner regrets in Trulia’s report. Fourteen percent of homeowners said they wish they’d vetted their neighborhood more, and 15% wished they had picked one closer to work.

“Very often our clients fail to do basic research and end up living in the right house but the wrong town,” says Ali Bernstein of Suburban Jungle Realty Group, which specializes in helping New York City renters transition into suburbia. “Agents are there to sell you the house, but the way the real estate market is set up, they don’t tell you about the towns. You’ve got to find a town that fits your personality.”

So how can you make sure you get through the whole home buying process without disappointment? Here are a few tips.
Don’t bite off more than you can chew. Your housing costs should typically take up less than one-third of your total household budget (or 40% for those who live in high-cost areas like New York or San Francisco) — property taxes and homeowner’s insurance included. Free mortgage calculators are plentiful online and can give you a pretty good estimate of what you can afford in your area.

Think beyond the inspection. In addition to a home inspection, don’t kid yourself into thinking maintenance costs end there. “People forget about the ongoing homeownership costs,” says Corbett. “Not just the closing costs, but the ongoing homeownership costs and keeping a slush fund for ‘invisible systems’ like electric and plumbing that will eventually break down.” Keep an emergency savings account flush with at least $1,000 to handle any unexpected maintenance issues.

Hire a good real estate agent. In Redfin’s survey, more than 30% of homeowners said they felt like their real estate agent wasn’t very helpful, and another 8% said their agent was the worst part of the homebuying process. Always vet your real estate agent. Ask trusted friends and family for recommendations and come up with a list of your top picks. It’s wise to arrange to meet in person at their office. Not only will you get a sense of their personality, but you can take a look around their workspace to see how seriously they take their job.

Get to know your neighborhood. With such low inventory out there, buying a home can feel like a dog-eat-dog competition. Take the time to vet your choice of neighborhood before rushing a bid on a home there. That means driving by at several times throughout the day — morning, noon and night — to get a feel for the environment. You might discover a nearby highway makes too much noise at night, or morning school bus traffic that could make your commute a disaster.
Test your homeowner smarts — take this quiz to find out if you’re smart enough to own a home.

There is no reason to price it that low......and no reason to call this news when it was priced so poorly. Might as well have priced it at one dollar.

Seller got her price, buyer got her house, agent got some free press.

What's the problem?

Bubble

Seller got her price, buyer got her house, agent got some free press.

What's the problem?

A thousand people went through the house. What a waste of a lot of people's time. If the house was worth well over $1 million, price it at $999K....it would still get lots of offers presumably....at least the article suggests that.

Also, the multiple offer situation wastes the buyers, the sellers, and all the agents who don't get the sales time.
It is also stressful for everyone involved and the level of stress increased unnecessarily by pricing it ridiculously. My personal view is that if it is priced low and noone but one offer comes in at full with no conditions, the seller should have to sell. As it stands, only the seller has nothing to lose (unless the agent sues him for non acceptance which occasionally can happen I understand). The agent and the buyer make an offer at the ask and still don't get the property. Seems unfair to me.

You are correct about your 3 points however as described in the quote.

For those who are interested, all info will be released at a private event today at Queens Park for 11 Wellesley condos, if priced at high $600s psf on the ground I will be buying multiple units for myself and promoting the site. Occupancy est 2018/19. It will be interesting to see how this site sells with the recent success this year of Core and YC condos.

www.georgekozaris.com/11wellesleycondos

A thousand people went through the house. What a waste of a lot of people's time. If the house was worth well over $1 million, price it at $999K....it would still get lots of offers presumably....at least the article suggests that.

Also, the multiple offer situation wastes the buyers, the sellers, and all the agents who don't get the sales time.
Maybe, but it worked wonders for the seller. I wouldn't be surprised if he got over 10% over true market price. I don't blame the sellers at all. If I were in their shoes I'd want the same thing.

It is also stressful for everyone involved and the level of stress increased unnecessarily by pricing it ridiculously. My personal view is that if it is priced low and noone but one offer comes in at full with no conditions, the seller should have to sell.
Well, that's not the law.

As it stands, only the seller has nothing to lose (unless the agent sues him for non acceptance which occasionally can happen I understand). The agent and the buyer make an offer at the ask and still don't get the property. Seems unfair to me.
A savvy buyer should know it's a complete waste of time to offer $800000 on a $1.2 million property, when there are lots of other people interested and about to make offers. Or at least his agent should know. I've been in the exact situation in fact. There was a very nice but unique property in Cabbagetown that even had private parking in back off the laneway, something I wanted. I was ready to make an offer higher than other comparables in the neighbourhood, but a bit under asking. They had priced it high because it was unique and was drawing in potential buyers for that reason. My agent advised that unless I offered over asking I would be guaranteed not get the property, since there were already going to be several offers on the table over asking. So, I just didn't bother, and yes, the property went for 10% over asking. However, even if I had decided to make an offer anyway under asking, it would have taken minutes to submit the offer.

Last edited:
Well, that's not the law.

Eug, I realize that is not the law. Let me ask you though to think of this in terms of other purchases.

Imagine you want to buy a car and the price is $20K. You offer $20K and now the dealer says no the new price is higher?
Same thing with a couch you want to buy. The price is $3K. You offer it in full and the person selling says "no the price is more".
Imagine you are selling a business for $500K. You ask that and are offered the full amount. Then you say, no I want $600K and I may ask for more...."we'll see"?

I get that houses are in demand now and hence the bidding wars. I am just saying if we extrapolated this to all purchases you can quickly see how ridiculous things would get. I am hard pressed to think of any other area of commerce where the "price is not the price". I just think there should be an obligation to price at a price that the seller would accept. And I say this as someone who owns a couple of properties, not looking to buy (at least at present) and will probably sell before I buy anything going forward....so it would theoretically adversely affect me.

Back