News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

There is a definite difference beginning to be seen between 1+ and smaller units and 2+ units. There is a huge glut of small condos and I think Casa might be an exception. Closer to the waterfront, landlords are offering deals, free parking, free month - especially in older bldgs - to attract tenants. The MLS system quoted in the Globe article is very misleading as MLS only tracks units it has listed and I would guess that makes up less than 30% of the rental market in Toronto.

The MLS system quoted in the Globe article is very misleading as MLS only tracks units it has listed and I would guess that makes up less than 30% of the rental market in Toronto.

still, that should be a reasonble guidepost, and they of course have lots of data to compare to. 30% is a big sample. But i see you poiint about the 2 bedrooms, they sound much harder to find.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/real-estate/in-vancouver-the-third-wave-hits/article1607761/

A link to an article on The Globe and Mail's web site about buyers from mainland China buying luxury properties in Vancouver -- a third wave as the article has stated.

I have noticed 2 assignment listings of condos at 80 Yorkville at $ 1000/sq.ft.

It seems that 'luxury' market is still vibrant, alive and well.

KA1-

Do you know the difference between listing price and selling price?

KA1-

Do you know the difference between listing price and selling price?

I think I know the difference between the listing and selling price. If 2 different real estate agents are listing a property at certain sq. ft, then, they hope to get somewhere near the list price. They may not get the list price -- that is a function of market place. I was just trying to draw attention to the fact that, even in the current environment, a few agents still hope to get $ 1,000 sq. ft.

Uber bear economist David Rosenberg (whom I respect) has often espoused the risk of a real estate crash here in Canada (which I've respectfully disagreed). Interestingly enough, here's an article in yesterday’s Globe listing 7 reasons why he now thinks Canada is viewed as a “Bastion of Stability”:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...ted-as-a-bastion-of-stability/article1614825/

7 reasons Canada is rated as a 'bastion of stability'

(1) The federal government “actually deserves” its Triple-A credit rating.

(2) No Canadian bank failed.

(3) Canadian banks did not cut dividends, and as a group have a dividend yield just shy of 4 per cent, compared to less than 1 per cent in the U.S.

(4) The Bank of Canada is raising interest rates given the stronger economy, while its U.S. counterpart is on hold, meaning a yield premium over U.S. alternatives for investors wanting to park funds in liquid short-term securities.

(5) Top marginal tax rates are already higher in New York City than in Toronto.

(6) Real estate in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver is cheap on a global comparison.

(7) It’s not just about oil anymore, but also natural gas, where prices have hit bottom, and precious metals that account for 13 per cent of the TSX market capitalization.

Last edited:
Here's how I can tell when the market is slow in Toronto: tons of realtors join UT to push presales events. I am waiting for Yossi Kaplan to reappear. When he does, I know it's gonna be slow out there.:D

That 50/200 bearish cross happening on the stock markets is surely gonna spook investors. Now, it's all psychological of course, but it will spook the condo market for the next 2-6 months.

(My BJL mole, interestingly enough, isn't partying as much as they used to....less sales equals less disposable cash?)

Last edited:

this article shows what has been happening for the last few years. Developers have conscprited the realtors who are willing partners to get at their clientele by offering them in exchange for a middle man profit.

i find similarities to what happened in the brokerage industry when the big 5 banks took over all the brokerages and suddenly brokers had access to alot of the bank's capital investments from its clientele. Brokers made a lot of money. the banks made alot of money.

Similarly, developers make money, realtors make money, and the ultimate consumer pays more since layers have been added, all of which adds to price.

Still, despite all the projects, I believe that if the pre-construction boom is really back, which I don't necessarily concur with, some developers will be caught out as being late to the party as will some of the latest purchasers. History has shown that developers (due to the lead time from start to finished product) must be prepared to whether recessions, changes in market conditions. They will surely overbuild this time as they have in the past. The risk has just been transferred more from developer to investor/end users since they cannot break ground without a minimum of 60% sales in most cases and even approaching 70% now.

Urbandreamer does have a point. Dow is now 7% below the start of the year. In correction territory if one looks at the last 3 months (down more than 10%). Will it hit recession levels and down more than 20%, I don't know but a very real possibility in the next few months. The TSX is down 4% on the year so far again. In the past few months, it is down more than this not only giving up the early gains of the year but losing a fair amount. It appears China's growth may not be as robust as first thought. With withdrawal of stimulus, unless the private sector picks up the slack which is looking shakey at the moment at best, the economy is likely to faulter or at least not grow in the next few months/year.

So again, why shoud there be a boom being back on economic terms? and is it sustainable?. If the article is correct, investors are up to 50% of the market. Are these same investors seeking real estate now as it has continued to perform? bonds yields hit lows again last week. Stock market down, Cash bringing in nothing, wages not increasing, productivity not increasing, yet real estate continues to advance. At what point do the investors lack the cash, or find an alternate new investment, bringing a halt to the investor 50% purchases, with subsequent large fall in demand.

I am not saying it will happen now or when, I just fail to see what is driving this continuous price increase. also, as inventories continue to accumulate, there will have to be at least a pause if not a correction.l

resale homes are selling much slower now than a month ago. MLS is getting saturated. prices will have to dip.

Back