News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Look, Toronto is a great city, but let's be real. No pile of crumbling brick and rotting bug-and-mold infested tree fort is worth anywhere near what these people are paying for them. The market is simply stoned on its own fumes. You simply cannot have stagnant wages, rising interest rates, record-setting levels of personal debt, and expect the housing values (and people's ability to pay them) to rise ad infinitum. Something has to correct.

Toronto is a great city and the value of most of the homes in the city lie in the land, not the structure. If you look at any home insurance company's replacement/rebuild cost estimate, it can easily be less than half the market value of the property were you to list and sell it on MLS.

Buyers may seem crazy paying the prices they pay for that house in Toronto, but they're paying 'crazy' money not for what you see physically, but for the intangibles that come with living where that house is located. I'm not necessarily trying to justifying it, merely stating my observations.

Last edited:
Toronto is a great city and the value of most of the homes in the city lie in the land, not the structure. If you look at any home insurance company's replacement/rebuild cost estimate, it can easily be less than half the market value of the property were you to list and sell it on MLS.

Buyers may seem crazy paying the prices they pay for that house in Toronto, but they're paying 'crazy' money not for what you see physically, but for the intangibles that come with living where that house is located. I'm not necessarily trying to justifying it, merely stating my observations.

I don't think anybody doubts there is a lot of land speculation going on. Whether the city has the economic fundamentals to back up these valuations is another matter.

Like Ed says.. when you look at wages, debt levels, employment, and other economic indicators, it really doesn't add up. Plenty of economists have said the same thing.

Last edited:
I don't think anybody doubts there is a lot of land speculation going on. Whether the city has the economic fundamentals to back up these valuations is another matter.

Like Ed says.. when you look at wages, debt levels, employment, and other economic indicators, it really doesn't add up. Plenty of economists have said the same thing.

if what I'm seeing in correct and prices for dt condos (excluding Yorkville proper and Yonge/Bloor) are asking/selling for $650-700 psf, then prices are 35-40% over inflated.

what has been your observation because I've looked at units and listings south of Yonge/Wellesley, Yonge/College/Bay to King West.

Bay and College prices are through the roof, I'll give you that. But there are other pockets where condos are not selling for that much. I could only wish I sold my condo for anything close to that ppsf.

One thing I have said is 2 bedroom condo market is HOT! I don't know if it has to do with the low inventory or just all the people who can't afford houses are jumping in on 2 bed condos. Example: 1 2 bed condo in an older building in distillery came on the market on Wednesday. It was sold by Thursday, most likely for list. Another open house I was at in the King/Sherbourne area had an open house today...property will sell for well over list. Which IMO is too much. But when demand exceeds inventory, people do silly things.

Lack of inventory are making purchasers do dumb things and sellers are getting very greedy (I don't blame em, really)

One thing I have said is 2 bedroom condo market is HOT! I don't know if it has to do with the low inventory or just all the people who can't afford houses are jumping in on 2 bed condos. Example: 1 2 bed condo in an older building in distillery came on the market on Wednesday. It was sold by Thursday, most likely for list. Another open house I was at in the King/Sherbourne area had an open house today...property will sell for well over list. Which IMO is too much. But when demand exceeds inventory, people do silly things.

Ever since I joined this forum, I have been making the case for family-sized condos.I think King East is correct. Our very centrally-located building, older, solid with only 2 and 3-BR suites of decent size, walkable, bike-able, a TTC dream AND in one of the best school districts in town, has started to attract young families who would love to buy houses in the hood but can't lay out the $900K+ for one. Last year, of the six units that flipped, five were bought by families with 1-2 children under the age of 10. At Halloween we had a little party for them all because we didn't want them knocking on doors. There was a dozen -- and I hear two more are moving in Feb. 1. When we moved in here 3 years ago, there were only 2 families with one child apiece) and then one family moved out when the mother became pregnant with a second and they bought a house.

What I am curious about is how this will affect our market values which have been, relative to the rest of city, pretty stagnant. I think that's because most of the suites that have turned over were not renovated as many of the owners either passed on or relocated to nursing homes. Virtually all of them were the original residents. The well-renovated suites did great price-wise, as in sold for $680+ per sf.

Note that this isn't a building that will attract the shiny fairy magic stainless laminate floor staging crowd -- our floors are beautiful parquet (and many of us have stained them dark), we do not have large "spa-like" bathrooms with double vanities (what a waste), and are kitchens are eat-in, although many people have knocked down walls to open them up.

I bet that, by the end of 2015, the number of children here will double.

I find this all very interesting but I am starting to have that "kids get off my lawn!" feeling. :)

Any investors of recently completed buildings here? Wondering how your flipping and/or renting experience is going right now. Buildings like Ice, L Tower, Pier 27, Ivory on Adelaide, Aura, etc. look to have a lot of investory available both for sale and rent.

Thanks.

Any investors of recently completed buildings here? Wondering how your flipping and/or renting experience is going right now. Buildings like Ice, L Tower, Pier 27, Ivory on Adelaide, Aura, etc. look to have a lot of investory available both for sale and rent.

Thanks.

Ice is down to just shy of 30 listings from a high of 90 last month. Writing up an offer on a 3 bedroom tonight. Even though all the buildings have such a long construction to go minus Aura, which was the king of rentals in the summer. Everything should be absorbed by May.

Ice is down to just shy of 30 listings from a high of 90 last month. Writing up an offer on a 3 bedroom tonight. Even though all the buildings have such a long construction to go minus Aura, which was the king of rentals in the summer. Everything should be absorbed by May.

Are you talking sales listings or rental listings?

It's hard to figure out the active listings between Craigslist/Kijiji and MLS as some may be duplicates. Using Ice as an example, within the past 24 hours there have been 4 new rental listings on Kijiji alone: http://www.kijiji.ca/b-apartments-condos/ontario/ice-condos/k0c37l9004

About that bubble....

http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?PropertyId=15202602
what's the square footage of this unit ??? maybe 650 sq ft, so they're asking $1,000 psf !?!?
granted it's a higher floor but really .... come on people, get your head out of your asses ! :rolleyes: :eek:

http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?PropertyId=15169639
$750 psf on a low floor

*sigh*

so TKE, what prices are you seeing for the dt core?
as I mentioned I saw them ranging from $650-700 psf but you said that wasn't the case but forgot to mention figures and locations.

Last edited:

LOL...if somebody buys that first one for anything near $650k I would recommend they be checked into a mental hospital.

With 20% down ($130k), that is a $2,400 mortgage payment at 2.79% interest. You can rent similar units for $2,100 to $2,300 per a minutes research on Kijiji: http://www.kijiji.ca/b-1-bedroom-den-apartments-condos/city-of-toronto/cinema/k0c213l1700273

An investor would be putting down $130k for the privelege of losing $600+ in cash every month. Insanity.

Last edited:
There was a 1200 sq ft 3bed 2bath at BStreets up for rent for about 3 weeks on viewit.ca in December for $3,000. If you factor in taxes and condo fees (generously $300 + $700 each month), that puts $2000 towards mortgage payment.

It looks like you could get a 5 year fixed mortgage from Scotiabank for 3.19%, which would be for a mortgage of $415,000. If you made a 20% down payment to get this mortgage amount, this would put the condo price at $523,000. The price per square foot? $435.83.

Currently units there are up for sale at BStreets on mls for between $650-$825/ sq ft.

Oh, when you called the phone number to rent this 3bed unit, it went to the developer's retail sales office.

Back