News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

IDK, never in my 24 years here in Cabbagetown have I seen so many houses taking weeks and weeks to sell.

https://www.realtor.ca/map#ZoomLevel=16&Center=43.666230,-79.368790&LatitudeMax=43.67304&LongitudeMax=-79.35180&LatitudeMin=43.65942&LongitudeMin=-79.38578&Sort=6-D&PGeoIds=g10_dpz83vjg&GeoName=Cabbagetown, Toronto, ON&PropertyTypeGroupID=1&PropertySearchTypeId=1&TransactionTypeId=2&BuildingTypeId=1&Currency=CAD

These prices are insane still. $2+ million for three floor semis? Who can afford these? When I bought in 1998 it was well under $300k, or about four times our household income after tax income. Now it's about fifteen times our current income. Jeez.
If you look at transactions, looks like most of the recent ones in Cabbagetown are hundreds of thousands below asking, or well down from earlier transactions. A lot of deals falling through on valuations.

I was reading an article, somewhere, a few days ago that outlined a couple who bought a house near the end of the low-interest/high price wave, then either couldn't get enough for their house or it wasn't moving (can't remember) and ended up selling the house they just bought for $60K less just to get out of it.

I was reading an article, somewhere, a few days ago that outlined a couple who bought a house near the end of the low-interest/high price wave, then either couldn't get enough for their house or it wasn't moving (can't remember) and ended up selling the house they just bought for $60K less just to get out of it.
Ouch. Unless you can easily float both, never buy a house until you’ve sold your house. You don‘t remarry until the current spouse is divorced or expired.

It’s a timing thing. We bought then sold a few years back when the condo market was hot. We did it that way because both my siblings sold and then couldn’t find a place to buy … one was “between houses” for a year because once they did buy, they had to do some significant reno work.

With prices down 20-30% YTD and interest rates spiking, do we think this might be enough to start slowing down the pace of development? Seems like we might start to see too large a gap between new build and resale prices.

With prices down 20-30% YTD and interest rates spiking, do we think this might be enough to start slowing down the pace of development? Seems like we might start to see too large a gap between new build and resale prices.
Some of the GTA's greatest development was when interest rates were double digits. After we arrived in Canada in 1976 my parents in the early 1980s bought a new-build house at Derry Road and Winston Churchill and I believe my Dad said the mortgage was over 15%.

Some of the GTA's greatest development was when interest rates were double digits. After we arrived in Canada in 1976 my parents in the early 1980s bought a new-build house at Derry Road and Winston Churchill and I believe my Dad said the mortgage was over 15%.
That would require a lot of adjustment between home prices, rents, and cost of construction. Home prices cannot be 10x incomes with 15% interest--it just doesn't pencil out.

Only about 10% in my area.

Much of the 905 is off around 30%. Comps to my house are down about that much since the high in Feb.

That would require a lot of adjustment between home prices, rents, and cost of construction. Home prices cannot be 10x incomes with 15% interest--it just doesn't pencil out.
A fair point. When my wife and I bought our three floor, five bedroom semi in downtown east in 1998 it cost about $290k when our combined income before tax was about $60k, or about 1/5 of the house cost. My children won’t be so lucky.

I bought my first house in 1980 and felt blessed by angels to get a 5-year mortgage at 10%.

Back