News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Johnny Au

Member Bio
Reaction score
Today is the day of the future!

Let's discuss which predictions were accurate and which ones were not.

Today is the day of the future!

Let's discuss which predictions were accurate and which ones were not.

I will bite.

I am going to cover the Chicago Cubs topic, because out of all of the Oct 21, 2015 predictions, it was among the few non-ridiculous ones. Like all movies based in the near future, the predictions are wildly optimistic and most just aren't worth addressing. But the Cubs thing is an interesting one.

They clearly went with the Cubs because of how they have been a historically non-competitive team. They have not won a World Series since long before Back to the Future (1908!)
Interestingly enough, the Cubs are in the NLCS this year for the first time in over a decade, and although they are facing elimination 3 games to 0, they still have a shot. What the movie failed to predict was the increasing length of the playoffs. The World Series doesn't even start until October 27th these days, so a 4 game sweep in time for the October 21st newspaper is impossible in today's league.

But the Cubs winning the 2015 World Series actually seemed pretty plausible up until this week.

Mets defeated Cubs 8-3. The wild prediction that the Cubs would win the World Series turned out to be false.

JA: So much for the Cubs winning the 2015 WS - I say "Let's Go Mets!!!"

They will match well with the Blue Jays or Royals - this looks to be a good WS this year...

I hope that the Blue Jays get to the WS - winning two ALCS games in KC is going to be a tough task...

LI MIKE

Hey we were promised flying cars! Where are they? And also back then people thought you would actually see the person that you were talking to on a PAYPHONE. Cellphones anybody?

Back