News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

A point about the arguement that our architecture is ugly because of its juxtaposition with adjacent structures of different scale:
The OPs from the time clearly envision a city in which those differences were eradicated - their goal was to get rid of the rundown, unsanitary heritage housing, and replace it with more apartment-style buildings. Just look at Jamestown - that's an example of a completed neighborhood following those ideals. In the same way, something like 77 Elm was built NOT to complement the buildings in its context, but those buildings which were expected to come afterwards.

"In the same way, something like 77 Elm was built NOT to complement the buildings in its context, but those buildings which were expected to come afterwards. "

LOL, That's why we have all those surface lots, eh!

Horrible sense of planning - a city that for perpetuity appears in transition.

That Boston thread is incredible ...

Re: Yonge Street. I know what Ganj. means and which buildings he dislikes. They meet the street very badly, though the one at Yonge + Wellesley has held the Just Desserts for some time (despite my predictions that its setback would cause closure soon after it opened). There's hope for those buildings, because the ground floor could easily be remodelled to provide a streetscape to Yonge. Also, because this would raise the rents that the owners of the buildings could charge, I actually think it is reasonable that it might happen. Some day.

cdl42,

Blur actually sing about the Trellick Tower in their song "Best Days." Here's a wee verse of the song...

Trellick tower’s been calling
I know she’ll leave me in the morning
In hotel cells listening to dial tones
Remote controls and cable moans
In his drink he’s talking
Gets disconnected sleepwalking back home

pglondonLADBROKEtrellicktower.jpg

I actually spent a red-wine filled night this past December looking up at the tower from Westbourne Park and thinking it was both the coolest and ugliest structure I'd ever seen.

ur.03-10.trellicktower.jpg

The Trellick Tower actually has a huge waiting list to get in; it's considered a really trendy building.

cdl42,

Call me crazy but the only one of those I can't appreciate is the one from Paris. Although brutalist, IMO they're all somewhat unique.

I'm starting to like brutalism again. Tartu, 'Rochdale', St.Lawrence Centre, Jorgenson, Manulife Centre, Erindale College etc. I suppose everything old becomes new again eventually....

The Sheraton Centre. Thin slab, but kinda imposing in a striking way.

I have heard the same thing!
Personally, i think its a great piece of architecture-
I think the idea of separating the lifts and stairs from the rest of the building is a great idea..also the cantilever is great!

p5

Back