News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

The Beaver on Queen West.

It was nearbye, after Opera 101 at The Drake, so we tried it ... more or less on a dare.

A dive too poorly lit for us to determine, with any certainty, what was on our plates. The bovine waitress couldn't have cared less when I drew her attention to the shard of broken plastic in my lamburger.

You write well. I'm actually hoping you get more bad meals so we get more gems like this. Thing's a goddamn haiku.

not that I expect much from this place....but I went to Jack Astor's with a bunch of friends as it was late and we just wanted to get something quick to eat. We all hated our meals. Bruschetta didn't even have tomato on it. The buffalo wings were battered and tasted bad. My chicken sandwich was awful. None of us finished our meals.

On the flip side....Pan on the danforth is a wonderful restaurant. Nice intimate atmosphere, great wait staff and wonderful food. I've always enjoyed myself there.

Just Wing It! on Younge across from College Park Shops. We went there last summer when it was Wild Wings and it was pretty good. This last time (when we were in T. for the boat show) it had changed names but the waitress assured us they had just dropped the franchise but the food was the same - it wasn't. Thick gooey breading and no heat to speak of. I was hungry but couldn't even finish my serving.

The Brazen Head pub in Liberty Village was baaaaad too. I had fish and chips (dried out, freezer burnt fish) and the wife had prime rib which she ordered medium rare but arrived as microwaved to well done.

We went to Toula too as we were staying in the Westin. I had a mushroom appetizer which consisted of two mushroom caps and a toonie sized piece of polenta. My wife had a Caesar salad which was two romaine leaves. Plus two glasses of the cheapest white wine - $90. The view was great though!

We usually have much better luck with dining in Toronto. I'll do better research next time.

Last edited:
Shocker`s just showing his age.... While the Beaver definitely swings toward a gay crowd, I find myself there quite often--a friend lives nearby--because the food is decent and affordable and I love the dark atmosphere. Try their house made sausages--very tasty; and their beet burger is probably better than the lamb burger. Brunch is good there as well.

Anyone been to Union or those other newer Oz hangouts?

I really dislike the Pickle Barrel and Spring Rolls for the single reason that I don't like their entire menu (except for the giant milkshakes from the Pickle Barrel and spring rolls from Spring Rolls).

Also, I always get sick at the Pickle Barrel and get terrible service at the Spring Rolls at the Yonge and dundas/Atrium on Bay locations

Oh, you should show them this thread and they'll give you another burger for free! Everyone has a bad day. I love the dark gloomy atmosphere--so romantic that I often go there on dates.:)

I'd far rather you show them this thread ... and get two burgers for free.

Truffles hasn't been a top restaurant for a long time - that's why it closed down.

Susur Lee still has restaurants here, but wanted to open one up in NYC.

The simple fact is, the restaurant industry is very much a cyclical industry, where even high end restaurants close. This is especially true in this economic climate. I'm willing to bet all of these cities have seen their share of closures; that isn't something that's about to change.

As far as I know, Toronto is quite well regarded as a culinary city.

Looks like NY didn't go so well...
http://www.eyeweekly.com/food/feature/article/110153

The Beaver on Queen West.

It was nearbye, after Opera 101 at The Drake, so we tried it ... more or less on a dare.

A dive too poorly lit for us to determine, with any certainty, what was on our plates. The bovine waitress couldn't have cared less when I drew her attention to the shard of broken plastic in my lamburger.

I stumbled into The Beaver one night. I wouldn't consider it much of a restaurant -- it's a borderline dive bar.
Lots of hipster victims there that night. They have a surprisingly ample selection of wines. Their bartenders are either really nice or total assholes.

Shocker, after checking out Angell's latest Kim Dorland idols--freaking awesome btw!--and updating the Bohemian Embarrassment, I had an excellent brunch at your local dive, the Beaver. Very non-plasticky sausage, eggs, potatoes and sour dough bread etc--impressed my starving friend and I. Sadly, forgot to tell the server to check out this thread--need 2 free meals from them, my gf is demanding it!

Back