News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
The City has launched a public engagement exercise towards some level of re-do of the park in 2024.

Given the meager budget offered, I'm not sure this merits its own thread, but I know from my review of it as is, in the Problematic Park Design thread that many here are interested in and engaged with this park, so for those who are......here ya go!

Project Page:

Not stated there, but having looked at the budget, this project, inclusive of design is allocated only $300,000 that will not go far at all!

Budget: (see p.12): https://www.toronto.ca/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/965e-2023-CAPTOR-Report-PFR-V1..pdf

For those wanting a bit of refresher on the issues, my post from the Problematic Park Design thread:

Now to tag the person who asked for that review, and those who 'liked' or commented immediately after:

@TossYourJacket , @Sky High Arch , @ADRM, @Patch , @TRONto and @toast_and_tea

If no other money were added to the budget 300k (270k for construction) would allow some minor fixes and one material change of some type (done well). Not a whole lot more.

Last edited:
The City has launched a public engagement exercise towards some level of re-do of the park in 2024.

Given the meager budget offered, I'm not sure this merits its own thread, but I know from my review of it as is, in the Problematic Park Design thread that many here are interested in and engaged with this park, so for those who are......here ya go!

Project Page:

Not stated there, but having looked at the budget, this project, inclusive of design is allocated only $300,000 that will not go far at all!

Budget: (see p.12): https://www.toronto.ca/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/965e-2023-CAPTOR-Report-PFR-V1..pdf

For those wanting a bit of refresher on the issues, my post from the Problematic Park Design thread:

Now to tag the person who asked for that review, and those who 'liked' or commented immediately after:

If no other money were added to the budget 300k (270k for construction) would allow some minor fixes and one material change of some type (done well). Not a whole lot more.
maybe they can buy a trash can with the money. Haha . Dont get me wrong i'm happy to see the some money, lets hope they get more. I see this money as more of fixing / maintenance to what has been damaged over the pandemic.

Project Page:

Guess 1/3 of it will go to the public consultation? :rolleyes:

AoD

@Northern Light, I guess I'm gonna come out of my self-imposed exile/early-retirement for this one.

IMO, this is a tough challenge. A lot of the issues with this park aren't going to be solved with park design, but with programs to help with mental health, addiction, and homelessness. $300K will not fix that, obviously. I think a lot of the issues with Barbara Hall Park come down to that it doesn't feel safe much of the time. I can say I personally barely ever go there, despite living nearby, because it just doesn't feel safe. Maybe redesigning for more open sightlines, better lighting, etc will help, but I don't know.

Maybe this redesign can make it a better space for the events it hosts during Pride? That would be an easier task I suppose. Figuring out better ways to manage traffic flow, etc.

@Northern Light, I guess I'm gonna come out of my self-imposed exile/early-retirement for this one.

IMO, this is a tough challenge. A lot of the issues with this park aren't going to be solved with park design, but with programs to help with mental health, addiction, and homelessness. $300K will not fix that, obviously. I think a lot of the issues with Barbara Hall Park come down to that it doesn't feel safe much of the time. I can say I personally barely ever go there, despite living nearby, because it just doesn't feel safe. Maybe redesigning for more open sightlines, better lighting, etc will help, but I don't know.

Maybe this redesign can make it a better space for the events it hosts during Pride? That would be an easier task I suppose. Figuring out better ways to manage traffic flow, etc.

In my earlier review of this park, I made suggestions I believe would help, from a design perspective. I certainly agree there are broader social issues at play, both generally and in a site-specific way.

I'm not convinced that the money allotted is sufficient to address those design consderations I outlined; however; and needless to say, absent broader investment, any design changes would fall short of ideal.

PS, stop being retired, your more active presence is missed.

Barbara Hall Park is in the 2024 Capital budget for just over a quarter million.

1705027069039.png

Survey on the this project is up:

From the survey:

View attachment 557874
As it is a very small park, I doubt all of this could actually fit! Maybe its time to decide if we want parks that offer everything to everyone poorly or offer top rate facilities to most people. If the 519 and the Park were 'programmed' together it could be better - shared toilets, 519 cafe opening onto park etc etc.

As it is a very small park, I doubt all of this could actually fit! Maybe its time to decide if we want parks that offer everything to everyone poorly or offer top rate facilities to most people. If the 519 and the Park were 'programmed' together it could be better - shared toilets, 519 cafe opening onto park etc etc.

I may have submitted similar commentary. ;)

Back