News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Now, lets look at all the other terminus of the other GO lines. How many of them have a double track and 2 or more platforms?
West Harbor and Oshawa have a double track terminus. Aldershot is 3 platforms, same with Oakville.

Kitchener has multiple tracks but 1 platform. But i think Kitchener Central will get 2 platforms. Georgetown is 4 tracks, mount pleasant is 3. Bramalea has 3 platforms (island +side) but will eventually get a 4th (island +island) with OnCoor.

Linconville is in a yard, Unionville will have a 3 track configuration. I don't know what the plan is for Mount Joy.

Bloomington and Milton have only 1 platform but multiple freight tracks.

But there is only one track at Newmarket so how will they achieve that service frequency to Bradford?
They’re going to add them. Currently the south section from Aurora to the Union station corridor is having double track work done. I think we’ll see work between Aurora and Bradford/Barrie start within the next year or two

Now, lets look at all the other terminus of the other GO lines. How many of them have a double track and 2 or more platforms?
You're missing the point.

2 tracks with platform faces means that 2 trains can stop there simultaneously. A terminal station with two tracks and platforms will allow a train to arrive, and another train to leave at the correct time, even if it has to wait a bit where the single track starts. If it was just a single platform, that means that the train would have to stop, go through the protocol of changing ends (which can take as long as 10 minutes) and then head the other direction - and if the train was late and only had a limited amount of time to change ends, it wouldn't be able to make up much if any time.

This kind of thing is done in a lot of places - especially in Europe - that operate single-track lines with passing sidings because it means that the trains can be scheduled more reliably.

Dan

You're missing the point.

2 tracks with platform faces means that 2 trains can stop there simultaneously. A terminal station with two tracks and platforms will allow a train to arrive, and another train to leave at the correct time, even if it has to wait a bit where the single track starts. If it was just a single platform, that means that the train would have to stop, go through the protocol of changing ends (which can take as long as 10 minutes) and then head the other direction - and if the train was late and only had a limited amount of time to change ends, it wouldn't be able to make up much if any time.

This kind of thing is done in a lot of places - especially in Europe - that operate single-track lines with passing sidings because it means that the trains can be scheduled more reliably.

Dan

With 15 minute headways, how would this be a problem?

West Harbor and Oshawa have a double track terminus. Aldershot is 3 platforms, same with Oakville.

Kitchener has multiple tracks but 1 platform. But i think Kitchener Central will get 2 platforms. Georgetown is 4 tracks, mount pleasant is 3. Bramalea has 3 platforms (island +side) but will eventually get a 4th (island +island) with OnCoor.

Linconville is in a yard, Unionville will have a 3 track configuration. I don't know what the plan is for Mount Joy.

Bloomington and Milton have only 1 platform but multiple freight tracks.
Bradford (former terminus and also future terminus of 15 minute service) has 2 platforms as well. There's certainly merit to the idea at Allandale given the level of service expected

most of the last few postings above would be fascinating on one of the multiple GO threads :)

County wants to hear from residents on plans for Barrie-Collingwood Rail Trail

I'm going to respond to the survey and say "trails beside rails" is the best option.

The County's page for the project, including a link to a survey, can be found here:

I suggest people passionate about preserving the corridor with future rail in mind give their input, suggesting that the trail be laid out within the ROW such that if service were reintroduced in the future, the trail could be maintained; and
that ideally trees not be planted in the way of possible service restoration.

Currently, where there is an existing trail off the rails, the plan is to keep that, but otherwise, for the most part, to go centre-line on track corridor (rails removed); they appear to wish to simply bury the ties in gravel, which seems questionable given the creosote issues that may be in play.

The presentation with slides showing the preliminary design can be found here:

I'm not going to do all the trail slides here, there are lots.

But a couple that may be of interest:

1643389832753.png

1643389857907.png

1643389886156.png

Done. In a lot of the ROW, there may not be room for a trail to the side of the ROW, particularly in areas of culverts, etc., without significantly more expense. Also, I'm not sure there would be much of an environmental impact to leaving the ties in situ; this a very old line and I imagine any leaching has long since passed. I would imagine if the County was to pull the ties they would face a significant disposal bill. Interesting that they are only looking at Angus to Stayner.

To me, $4.7Mn doesn't seem out of line.

Done. In a lot of the ROW, there may not be room for a trail to the side of the ROW, particularly in areas of culverts, etc., without significantly more expense. Also, I'm not sure there would be much of an environmental impact to leaving the ties in situ; this a very old line and I imagine any leaching has long since passed. I would imagine if the County was to pull the ties they would face a significant disposal bill. Interesting that they are only looking at Angus to Stayner.

To me, $4.7Mn doesn't seem out of line.

The problem with leaving the ties is that as they rot, they will create voids under the surface that will cause the surface to become uneven. Best Idea is to simply pull the ties and ballast up and put down something else.

Back