News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Toronto or should I say Canada is too small a market to warrant a supertall over two smaller twins. (not to mention anything taller than what we have now would simply not be allowed) The only missed opportunity is the facade which, while aestetically pleasing, is as common place as green glass window walls.

How do the Chicagoans do it?

A highly centralized highrise district with few heights limits within it -->> Higher floor to floor height as developers need not cram as many floors into a building's envelope but also above ground parking which, no matter how well concealed, still looks like parking levels. Something about seeing curtains and balconies above retail that just animates the street a little more than parking. I think Toronto certainly competes with Chicago except when it comes to pre-war; especially apartment houses in which we have none over 10 floors while they have hundreds

Why would the city put on height restrictions?

Yes, there is the 'shadow' effect, but how many 40 story towers can one city have?

Plenty. It's not like we're running out of space.

Also, the Chicago metropolitan area has roughly twice the population of the GTA.

Plenty. It's not like we're running out of space.

Also, the Chicago metropolitan area has roughly twice the population of the GTA.

You are WRONG on that one. I think in SSP and SSC we have discussed the issue Ad Nauseam. Stop misleading the uninformed; the US measures Metropolitan Area in a much more generous way than Canada!
If we applied the same standards, then the Golden Horseshoe area should be used on par with US Metropolitan areas. Whoever negates this fact is an American :)

According to:

1) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_horseshoe
Golden Horseshoe Inner ring population: 6,488,062
Golden Horseshoe Inner ring Area: 10,097.45 km² (3,898.6 sq mi)

2)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_metropolitan_area
Chicagoland population: 9,785,747
Chicagoland Area: 18,679 km² (7,212 sq. mi)

Now hardly twice the population, as you claimed.

this seems like a common complaint from you. You must not have a very good internet service...

It's his "image shack" image that will not load properly for some reason.

I have sympatico high speed. Everything loads lightning fast except for that large image.

....And Grey, please never change your signature. I laugh everytime I read it.

I have Sympatico high speed as well, and the image in question loads like molasses pouring for me too.

2 August 2008 photo update

The Hipster view...from WQW/Tecumseh:

DSC00145-1.jpg

You are WRONG on that one. I think in SSP and SSC we have discussed the issue Ad Nauseam. Stop misleading the uninformed; the US measures Metropolitan Area in a much more generous way than Canada!
If we applied the same standards, then the Golden Horseshoe area should be used on par with US Metropolitan areas. Whoever negates this fact is an American :)

According to:

1) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_horseshoe
Golden Horseshoe Inner ring population: 6,488,062
Golden Horseshoe Inner ring Area: 10,097.45 km² (3,898.6 sq mi)

2)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_metropolitan_area
Chicagoland population: 9,785,747
Chicagoland Area: 18,679 km² (7,212 sq. mi)

Now hardly twice the population, as you claimed.
Thanks for clearing that up!

I apologize for spreading this barrel of lies.

I think the above street power lines really suit some neighbourhoods. Like in the photo above. The older low rise buildings makes it feel almost historic.

In a funny way, it suits a neighbourhood like this, too.
wielkikrakow1.jpg

If I were into avatars, that'd be perfect for me.

It would still look better if the focal points of the streetscapes were actual buildings rather than thick wooden poles and many wires, and on some streets, overhead transformers. Of course, there are the practical concerns of overhead utilities in storms, and the fact that often trees have to be trimmed in a bizarre through-the-centre fashion to accommodate the wires. We need a more aggressive strategy to get rid of the overhead clutter.

The overhead wires add character. - I like them. Perfectly manacured cities seem so American..............

Back on top, BA is looking good! - need some shots of the glass working it's way up the building though...

Back