News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Wow, look how nice the Bay and Queen area used to look... so dense and urban.

^^Not that important but just interested-I just realized when looking at the image of Bay and Queen street from the past, that there used to be a fair sized street running through what is now NPS. Would that have connected, or rather been the extension of the street which now curves down from Dundas and connects to Univ. Ave?

p5

eaton.jpg

thanks for that map mark simpson.

Look at all the urban streets that were lost.
I know we laud our City Hall and Eaton Centre (sometimes) but they were also examples of sixties(and seventies) style block-busting that tore out much of North America's urban fabric.

A much needed public square and an iconic City Hall, added more, not less, to the 'urban fabric.'

I am not really sure that the small streets that Eaton Centre swallowed were really critical to the area. Yonge Street and its surrounds certainly have enough small streets and laneways that it could afford to lose a few and remain healthy. And sometimes the mix of big and little developments add some variety in areas.

That being said, block long developments should generally be avoided and do account for much sterility in urban cores. I think though that in these contexts, I would certainly trade Nathan Phillips Square and City Hall for those streets and I would not spend too much time lamenting the loss of the streets Eaton Centre took.

Well, I might be a little qualified about the Eaton Centre--after all, when all is said and done, Zeidler was hired to perform an urbanistically-correct quick-fix on a predestined blockbuster. Worked with flying colours; but, still.

Came about at just the right time, too. A few years later, there might have been a more vocal outcry over the loss of the old Eaton's store and the whole Yonge blockfronts north of that; not to mention the old Eaton's warehouse (which these days, might be coveted for some kind of office/institutional/condo conversion; imagine if *it* contained the Rye High Biz School...)

The application sign on the St.Mike's parking lot site calls for a 37 and 25 storey buildings. Expect something along the likes of Murano I&II.

Just noticed my neighbourhood is not anywhere to be found in this list.

Some might argue this isn't a neighbourhood, but I disagree. There are quite a lot of people who live here, enjoy the parks nearby at Queen's Park, and fuel the booming restaurant business over on Yonge.

For a definition of the neighbourhood, I would say this includes anything on Bay north of Gerrard.

Here is the first photo! Feel free to add more Bay Street canyon pictures.
murano1-1.jpg

I don't doubt that there is a sense of community among these buildings, but I truly believe that Bay Street from Dundas to Bloor is the most ghastly architectural strip in downtown, hands down. When people ask for more density along Yonge Street in the hopes that it'll create Toronto's Broadway Ave, I kindly refer them to the Bay streetscape.

That being said, If I lived in one of those condos I'd be heading to Queens Park and UofT everyday after work. As well, Murano seems to be a HUGE step in the right direction.

I do head to Queen's Park and U of T everyday after work when it is warm outside. It's so nice being so close such a large green area downtown.

I'm curious to know how to streetscape will change around Bay and Grosvenor once Murano and Burano are complete. Will some retail and coffee shops open up on Bay? Or will the people who move into those buildings do what everyone else in the current condos do. Head towards Yonge, Bloor, or College Park.

mjl08, you mentioned Murano, did you see the glass? They've got it installed on the side closest to the YMCA. I think it looks amazing. (maybe I should move this talk to the Murano thread).

Queens Park is great especially in the summer. My favorate spot that I often take my dog to play ball is the space south of Burwash Hall at the west end of St. Mary Street through the gateway. It's a beautiful, relaxing and meditative spot. Not really "upper Bay Street", but close.

Back