News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Wellesley was identified as a 'preservation' station when Commissioners voted on the station revitalization program. However, it was never clear whether or not the preservation was with the look as it is today (which is hardly preservation worthy), or the look when the station first opened (of which there's no remnants left to preserve).

The elevators will not be built onto the north entrance, there was just enough room to put in the automatic entrance in addition to the exit - it was initially only to be a second exit, with no entry. I don't recall any talk of installing elevators at the same time, but it should be pretty easy to do at Wellesley since it doesn't have a concourse level.

Wellesley was identified as a 'preservation' station when Commissioners voted on the station revitalization program. However, it was never clear whether or not the preservation was with the look as it is today (which is hardly preservation worthy), or the look when the station first opened (of which there's no remnants left to preserve).

Re "no remnants left to preserve", remember that the fundamental form of the street-level entrance/bus loop zone is intact, even with the apartment garage plopped on top of it--and, bless them, they never sought to reclad the brick in the concave entrance wall.

And if you're talking about the tile; well, as what's happening at St Andrew now proves, that still shouldn't prevent them from seeking something like the "original look"...

Yes, but remember that when you see "blah concrete forms" on the 1954 line, they aren't original. The original "subway entrance railings" tended to be stainless steel pipes with a Moderne feel. Now, *those* I'd reinstate, rather than importing Guimard...

...and if you want a (momentarily) remaining example of what I'm talking about, look into the abandoned bus bays at Eglinton.

If an archive photo of the original station is available, please post. Wellesley in it's current form (seen from the street) looks like it was designed ugly.

A few more shots:

The rear of the station
ser381%5Cs0381_fl0277_id11431-6.jpg

The interior, ground level:
ser381%5Cs0381_fl0271_id11271-50.jpg

Platform Level:
ser381%5Cs0381_fl0271_id11271-49.jpg

People getting off the Rosedale bus at Wellesley (when the Rosedale bus use to run to Wellesley)
ser381%5Cs0381_fl0321_id13171-21.jpg
ser381%5Cs0381_fl0321_id13171-22.jpg

Hmm, that last photo's proof that Toronto was far from an all-white joint in 1954...

Once the entrances are done ....

Maybe some money can be spent on the interiors. The photos do not do justice to the skankiness of the Toronto subway system. This is the main station of the entire system. It looks like it's been this way for a while. It will be interesting to see how long this continues to deteriorate before something is done.

3798738911_78bd9e8263.jpg

3798739743_dcabe64af1.jpg

i wonder what sort of mold or other fungus is growing with that wet looking wall. Our subway system needs a billion dollar renovation.

priority should go to the downtown stations first.

Maybe some money can be spent on the interiors. The photos do not do justice to the skankiness of the Toronto subway system. This is the main station of the entire system. It looks like it's been this way for a while. It will be interesting to see how long this continues to deteriorate before something is done.

The place looks like it's leaking water, in which case you either fix it in a full scale renovation at this piont or you don't touch it at all. Minor cosmetic fixes is a waste of money in this case as it'll simply be destoryed the next time it rains, maybe even before the fix is completed.

The TTC is doing the logical thing to wait until the renovation to address this.

I was at Broadview subway station on the weekend and, for the first time for ages, used the new staircase from the subway to the bus platform. Though it was built only about 18 months ago it looked like a relic from the 1950s! The tiles were stained and dirty and it was really VERY hard to see any difference between the 'new' part and the old part. I doubt it was planned to blend in!

Wellesley Station

Some work is being completed at Wellesley Subway station. Two of the four double entrance doors off Wellesley are being replaced to sliding doors (so I was told), doors in the east bus bay are being replaced, some tiling has been redone and the aluminum ceiling slats are being replaced in the west bus bay.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Back