News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I know there's a bunch of reasons for why they're doing this renewal, but this one sticks to me as one that if the City was looking to shore up the budget now, this is one that could have been put on hold for a few years. Hard decisions need to be made and this one is $10m on something that IMO really doesn't need to be priority.

Albeit I do think the City is trying to be smart and use some sort of economies of scope running this project at the same time as WHDP construction, looks like it might even end up being the same contractor? Both had fence being delivered by the same co yesterday.

^It's coming from the CRL, so it takes up debt space and serving the debt is taxpayer supported but it's not a straight $10m from taxes. CRL is supported by Downtown taxes.

Taking down trees today.

IMG_2712.jpeg

IMG_2714.jpeg

IMG_2713.jpeg

So this park is getting their current water features “enhanced” for the homeless to take a nice warm bath and to do their laundry in but yet the Warehouse one gets zero.zero water features eh?

If you look at the design, there is no water feature. The wall between Beaver Hills and Michael Phair Park is being removed. If you're looking at the rendering, what looks like water is probably rubberized surface for the play area.

Also, the title of this thread could be changed from 'refresh' to 'renewal'. This is essentially a full renewal.

I don't think all mature trees are coming down, right? Probably just selective cutting based on health and location within the new design?

^You are correct. The community league asked for as many mature, healthy trees as possible/reasonable to stay. I talked about the challenges earlier in this thread.

^You are correct. The community league asked for as many mature, healthy trees as possible/reasonable to stay. I talked about the challenges earlier in this thread.
Thanks for the information/clarification. That's what I thought, but I was wondering exactly the same thing when I went by and saw them cutting trees.

If you look at the design, there is no water feature. The wall between Beaver Hills and Michael Phair Park is being removed. If you're looking at the rendering, what looks like water is probably rubberized surface for the play area.

Also, the title of this thread could be changed from 'refresh' to 'renewal'. This is essentially a full renewal.
Isn't the water area in the back of Beaver Hills what is being referred to, not anything on the Michael Phair park side?

I didn't realize the existing water feature was being removed. For some reason Edmonton sure seems against having water in downtown parks, like you know nicer cities.

I guess we have to keep it looking cheaper, even if it isn't.

Well that's too bad. I remember as a kid visiting my dad at work and us going to the park near the water fall at lunch hour. Water features are nice in the core, there should be more.

I didn't realize the existing water feature was being removed. For some reason Edmonton sure seems against having water in downtown parks, like you know nicer cities.

I guess we have to keep it looking cheaper, even if it isn't.

And people wonder why we're known as Deadmonton.

Back