News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

It also depends on where they came from. Our neighbors had them and didn't want to spray. The exterminator told us that they will just keep coming back. We moved.

It also depends on where they came from. Our neighbors had them and didn't want to spray. The exterminator told us that they will just keep coming back. We moved.

Absolutly true.
this is how i got my BB's.

Complain to management/condo board.

I now routinly spray in all vent and electrical housings and around doors once a month.

I think it's time buildings do MANDITORY routine spraying in all units.
If a tenate dosen't like it, THEY CAN MOVE.

Caulk all around electrical switches/cable/telephone jacks, ceiling lights, cracks in walls (if any)/along floorboards, around pipes in the kitchen and bathroom, HVAC vents etc. This will greatly reduce the chances of getting bedbugs from a neighbouring suite. Bedbugs could migrate to nearby apartments before the person who brought them in even knows that they have them. Pay the most attention to bedrooms or wherever people sleep because it's the warmth and carbon dioxide we breathe out that draw them into your bedroom, they can detect it up to a hundred feet away.
Toronto Public Health did a presentation through our Tenants Association at the 519 Community Centre about a year & a half ago after a few units in our building got bedbugs. They said that bedbugs can fit through a crack as thin as a piece of paper. Very creepy. Luckily our landlord is right on top of problems as they arise, I think we've had about a dozen apartments affected and last I heard (around November), the building is all clear so it's a battle that can be won without having to move but it can cause many people extreme emotional distress.

Absolutly true.
this is how i got my BB's.

Complain to management/condo board.

I now routinly spray in all vent and electrical housings and around doors once a month.

I think it's time buildings do MANDITORY routine spraying in all units.
If a tenate dosen't like it, THEY CAN MOVE.

I'm just curious; what are you spraying with?

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I was under the impression that PCOs can't spray without a reason (ie they need to actually see a bed bug before they will spray bed bug chemicals).

They just wont go away:eek::eek:

Toronto bed bug reports up 38 per cent

The tiny creatures spread their misery in growing numbers in the neighbourhoods off Victoria Park between the Danforth and St. Clair, Roncesvalles and shoreline Etobicoke. Bed bugs continue to be a problem in the east downtown.

"It was the most uncomfortable and stressful situation I ever had," remembers Bill Barrs, who was afflicted in a building on Oak St. in the east downtown. Barrs says he still has scars from bites on his ankle.

"You didn’t want to go to sleep at night," he says. "There was a point where I thought I might want to sleep in the bathtub just so I didn’t wake up the next morning with tons of bites and stuff."

Bed bugs don’t only afflict low-income neighbourhoods, says exterminator Avery Hunsberger.

"People associate bed bug infestations with unclean, low-income housing, all the things that go along with that. But that is very inaccurate. We treat all walks of life. We’ve treated million-dollar condos and low-income housing and everything in between."

Public health officials confirm the more than 2,000 bed bug reports last year, and say it hasn’t slowed down in 2011.

"We continue to receive a large number of requests for service," says Reg Ayre of Toronto Public Health. "We're way over 500 already this year."

Ayre says the reason behind the increased reports is likely more awareness.

"I think we're talking about bed bugs a lot more, and people know that Toronto Public Health is providing a response. In the past, that information was not necessarily out there."

The city agency has also set up a dedicated bed bug team this year, comprised of public health inspectors and nurses.

http://www.globalwinnipeg.com/Toronto+reports+cent/4921461/story.html

My worst nightmare: I have them. I went away to Europe for 3 weeks dreading finding bedbugs or bringing them back with me. I took all the precautions and quarantined all my luggage and clothes and took a long shower just in case.

My 3 weeks of habit building in checking mattresses for bugs led me to do it at home as well. I found one! Then 3 more.

All the psychological effects mentioned along the articles in this thread are true. I can't sleep and I feel like I won't ever sleep until I know they're gone for sure.

This looks to be a light problem right now so I'm going to get to work on it right now, as soon as my building's landlord office opens.

^ :( Sorry to hear this MetroMan! I hope you are able to remedy this really fast.

We don't have 'em, and we don't want 'em. We will be travelling a lot in the near future and I guess that it is incumbent upon me to take some preventive measures.

Again, I wish you a speedy resolution and I hope you get through it with sanity intact.

My worst nightmare: I have them. I went away to Europe for 3 weeks dreading finding bedbugs or bringing them back with me. I took all the precautions and quarantined all my luggage and clothes and took a long shower just in case.

My 3 weeks of habit building in checking mattresses for bugs led me to do it at home as well. I found one! Then 3 more.

All the psychological effects mentioned along the articles in this thread are true. I can't sleep and I feel like I won't ever sleep until I know they're gone for sure.

This looks to be a light problem right now so I'm going to get to work on it right now, as soon as my building's landlord office opens.

While the problem is young, head out to Canadian Tire or Home Depot and pick up a can of Raid Spider Blaster. Its a red can, and it says 'keeps killing for up to 2 weeks'. On the fine print (Side of the can), it also says it works on bed bugs, and worked like a charm when I had the problem. Remove your mattress and spray every nook and cranny on your bed frame, the carpet under your bed, and behind the head board. Also vaccuum your mattress and wash your sheets in hot water. It will help until your landlord gets someone in there, and might even end the problem if its still small.

Worked for me, and didnt have to call anyone in the end.

MetroMan, your in the early stage of infestation, that's the good news. A few hints, follow the "Integrated Pest Control" instructions to the "T" which means prepare your suite for the first spray, wash every stitch of clothing & bedding in hot water/hot dryer (dry clean that which cannot be washed) then bag it all in secure bags, move furniture for the spray, buy lots of vacuum bags and vacuum along walls every day then immediately dispose of the vacuum bag down the garbage chute, caulk cracks & outlets, don't sleep on the couch or you'll bring them into the living area and the problem spreads. You WILL get rid of them, just follow the instructions to get rid of the bugs, and most importantly the eggs that you cannot see. A good landlord will notify neighbours above, below and next to you to do preventive treatments as these things migrate very easily. In the meantime try to get some sleep, do NOT be ashamed or embarrassed and keep in mind that although they will bite they cannot give you any diseases, they're just bugs - like mosquitoes- which can carry disease. In the weeks following the second treatment continue vacuuming and keep your eyes peeled to ensure none were missed or hidden in cracks so that they don't return. If they do don't despair, notify management right away and repeat the process.

Good luck. You WILL win this battle through professional treatments, planning and lots of vacuuming.

Thanks a lot guys for the advice. The exterminator came in today to have a look and will return in the morning to blast the mothereffers.

I didn't sleep a wink last night. I put all my clothes in dryers (took up the entire laundry mat) and sealed everything in plastic garbage bags. They're all mounting up on a glass table (can bed bugs climb upside down on glass?)

I did some research and heard a lot of good things about diatomaceous earth. I'm heading up to a store on Bloor called Grassroots that sells it. I'll powder up the legs of my bed which will give me at least a little peace of mind. I've also been vacuuming obsessively around my bed. Thanks dt_toronto_geek on the advice to not sleep on the couch. I guess I have to just sleep on the bed and act as bait for them to walk over the D-earth.

As much as I realize that they're just bugs that are mostly harmless, there's this stigma associated with bed bugs that makes it feel like you've just contracted an STD or SARS. I only told my best friend and even she sounds a little hesitant to meet me now. The rental office manager told me it couldn't be bed bugs because all the tenants are clean middle class people. That's the reaction I expected. She's probably surprised because she's been in my apartment and commented on how clean and organized it always looks.

Tuscani, I'll also be following your advice and picking up the can of Raid Spider Blaster. I will take no chances on letting this problem grow.

The good news is that as far as I can tell, I haven't been bitten once yet. Maybe they don't like my blood. :)

Thanks a lot guys for the advice. The exterminator came in today to have a look and will return in the morning to blast the mothereffers.

I didn't sleep a wink last night. I put all my clothes in dryers (took up the entire laundry mat) and sealed everything in plastic garbage bags. They're all mounting up on a glass table (can bed bugs climb upside down on glass?)

I did some research and heard a lot of good things about diatomaceous earth. I'm heading up to a store on Bloor called Grassroots that sells it. I'll powder up the legs of my bed which will give me at least a little peace of mind. I've also been vacuuming obsessively around my bed. Thanks dt_toronto_geek on the advice to not sleep on the couch. I guess I have to just sleep on the bed and act as bait for them to walk over the D-earth.

As much as I realize that they're just bugs that are mostly harmless, there's this stigma associated with bed bugs that makes it feel like you've just contracted an STD or SARS. I only told my best friend and even she sounds a little hesitant to meet me now. The rental office manager told me it couldn't be bed bugs because all the tenants are clean middle class people. That's the reaction I expected. She's probably surprised because she's been in my apartment and commented on how clean and organized it always looks.

Tuscani, I'll also be following your advice and picking up the can of Raid Spider Blaster. I will take no chances on letting this problem grow.

The good news is that as far as I can tell, I haven't been bitten once yet. Maybe they don't like my blood. :)
MetroMan, you have my sympathies. Seriously. Just the thought of bed bugs gives me the heebie jeebies, and I'm obsessive about checking hotels and vacuuming my bed, just in case.

Re the Spider Blaster -- does it really work for spiders? Because we have a ton of them hanging out on the balcony! (and they bite)

I got a few extra tricks up my sleeve if I continue to see them -- and for the record, I haven't seen any after I vacuumed up those 3.

I know that heat works really well to kill them. I'm picking up one of those hand held steamers and will steam every little crack, nook and cranny in my apartment. I'm also getting zip seal mattress covers just in case any bugs managed to find a way into the inside of the mattress.

In any event, the psychological effects are just as intense (or more) as has been discussed. You constantly feel like something is crawling on you, you can't sit down or lay down anywhere in your apartment. You can't use any of your clothes. You're afraid to go to your friends' houses in fear of spreading it to them or they won't let you come over if they know of your problem. Worst of all is that I've had no sleep and haven't eaten properly since finding out. I also haven't gotten any work done since I got back from vacation -- and that's bad. I'm so behind.

Hopefully my mind will rest a little more after tomorrow, knowing that the exterminator is taking control of things. Also, my building manager is proud of the perfect record of this building (no known cases) so she's probably going to pay close attention to my unit. She wouldn't want it spreading. It would be the end of this place.

MetroMan I think I know where you live based on past posts (of course I won't say where), if it's where I think there have indeed been other incidences in there - my friend had them about a year & a half - two years ago. He doesn't know if he brought them in or if they came from another unit but the problem was solved quickly & permanently. Anyway, re: diatomaceous earth there is a lot conflicting information & opinions on that product. The best use for it from all that I've read is to spread it sparingly along baseboards (after your problem is solved as a precaution) and inside of cable/electrical/phone boxes. Take off the covers in the problem area(s) and put a teaspoon or so inside of it then screw the covers back on, these are prime areas where they travel from suite to suite. To best monitor activity go to Canadian Tire (I've also seen them at Home Hardware at Parliament & Carlton) and buy those sticky pads in the pest control section, they are about 5" X 8" & put one under each leg of your bed. Bed bugs cannot jump or fly but they can climb up pretty much anything. If you have these sticky pads under the legs of your bed (plus keep your headboard a few inches away from the wall) - along with other strategic locations along walls etc. you can monitor activity because once they try to climb over the sticky pads they become trapped in the glue and cannot get out. We use them for tracing mice at work, even they can't get out of them. Other things you mentioned above sound like your doing everything absolutely right. You'll be okay bud. :)

MetroMan I think I know where you live based on past posts (of course I won't say where), if it's where I think there have indeed been other incidences in there - my friend had them about a year & a half - two years ago. He doesn't know if he brought them in or if they came from another unit but the problem was solved quickly & permanently. Anyway, re: diatomaceous earth there is a lot conflicting information & opinions on that product. The best use for it from all that I've read is to spread it sparingly along baseboards (after your problem is solved as a precaution) and inside of cable/electrical/phone boxes. Take off the covers in the problem area(s) and put a teaspoon or so inside of it then screw the covers back on, these are prime areas where they travel from suite to suite. To best monitor activity go to Canadian Tire (I've also seen them at Home Hardware at Parliament & Carlton) and buy those sticky pads in the pest control section, they are about 5" X 8" & put one under each leg of your bed. Bed bugs cannot jump or fly but they can climb up pretty much anything. If you have these sticky pads under the legs of your bed (plus keep your headboard a few inches away from the wall) - along with other strategic locations along walls etc. you can monitor activity because once they try to climb over the sticky pads they become trapped in the glue and cannot get out. We use them for tracing mice at work, even they can't get out of them. Other things you mentioned above sound like your doing everything absolutely right. You'll be okay bud. :)
Sticky boards are great; I've used them for mice. However, be careful with them because they are ... STICKY! Blankets, clothes, pets, books will all stick to them so place them carefully and remember that they're there.

dt, I have no problem saying where I live specially if my building manager was blatantly lying to me about there never being a single case of bedbugs here: I'm in the tallest building behind the 7/11 on Queen St. West near Trinity Bellwoods Park. Is that the one?

I was going out to buy the D-earth but had to turn back when clients started calling for work to get done :( Instead, I walked in to a Shoppers looking for double sided tape and found the Spider Blaster that Tuscani was suggesting. It indeed does say that it kills bedbugs and that it works for up to 2 weeks.

I got home and immediately started partitioning off areas of my home with the Spider Blaster. I've only seen them in the bedroom so I created an invisible wall to prevent them from getting out. I also partitioned off the kitchen because I'm just paranoid about them getting into my food :p I also sprayed the feet of the glass table where my bagged up clothes is sitting.

I then took off the mattress and box spring and vacuumed everything along the frame and proceeded to spray that too. This is when I found bedbug exoskeleton shells. Looks like they've been here for a while, and didn't just piggyback from my recent trip to Europe after all (I got back yesterday). I also found a lot of blood spots so I think I've found where they're concentrating. That pretty much makes the sticky tape under the bed feet useless since they're almost certainly living in the box spring, inches away from my body .... ughhhh

Nonetheless, I sprayed the bottom of the box spring and along the sides to create a barrier. Hopefully it keeps them out for at least tonight until the exterminator brings out the big guns. I just find it odd (though I'm very thankful) that I haven't been bitten once. At least I don't feel that I have. No welts, no red spots, no itching or pain.

Back