News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Have you watched the Harry Potter movies or read the books? There are scenes or chapters where the students actually are having alcohol such as rum. In France, children actually can have wine with their meals. What other countries (other than North American English countries) disallow children from having alcohol?

I hope this hasn't already been posted elsewhere:

New booze rules for Ontario?

By Tanya Talaga
Queen's Park Bureau
Ontario wants to loosen up its liquor laws with a number of changes from removing the need for beer tents at licensed events to allowing all-inclusive vacation packages to be sold in the province.

Attorney General Chris Bentley says the proposals will make Ontario more attractive to tourists and that this is not an attempt to shake Premier Dalton McGuinty’s “premier dad” image before the fall election.

“This will give our tourism operators just another option in a very competitive tourist business,” Bentley told reporters at Mezes restaurant on Danforth Ave.

“The world doesn’t stop turning because there is an election coming up. We are acting in the best interests of Ontarians every day of the year.”

There has been “a natural evolution” of the Liberal approach to alcohol rules during their time in office, Bentley added.

“You’ll remember take a bottle to the restaurant ... we brought that in. The VIP lounges in movie theatres,” he said. “This is a natural evolution much of which we heard over the past number of years during the consultations we had on those other changes.”

Tourism Minister Michael Chan said the Caribbean countries have all-inclusive packages and now Ontario does too.

“We wanted a level playing field so we can attract those international tourists,” he said.

The province will start a month of consultations on the changes – including extending the hours that booze can be served at charitable and special events to 2 a.m. from 1 a.m.

Another change includes allowing people to circulate in retail booth areas of festivals with beverages.

“These are socially responsible changes,” Bentley said. “Let’s hear from Ontarians in the next 30 days or so, see what changes they would like us to make and move as quickly as we responsibly can.”

However, he move comes just a few weeks after Progressive Conservative Leader Tim Hudak mused about missing the days of buck-a-bottle beer. Premier Dalton McGuinty shot that idea down.

PC MPP Ted Chudleigh (Halton) said this is just an “election geared” announcement. “This is six months before the election,” he said. “I doubt whether the Legislature will sit until the end of April.”

The minister said there might be some requirement for legislation, Chudleigh added. And if that is the case, “this won’t see the light of day until after the election.”

The provincial election is Oct. 6.

(Source)

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like pushing back last call is on the table right now.

Never understood why weddings have to finish by 1 AM when the weddings in some European countries last until dawn the next morning.

Dalton is trying to shed a bit of his Daddy image but this falls short. I don't see the point of limiting last call... at all. In fact, letting out crowds of buzzed and drunk kids at the same time 2am causes a problem where there otherwise would be none. Further adding to this is that there's a mad rush to buy drinks minutes before 2am so people buy multiple drinks which they end up consuming in quick succession rather than gradually through the night. Let people drink til 3 or 4 or 6am. Bartenders would still need to serve responsibly so the time that people could drink until would be irrelevant.

As I get older and find it more and more difficult to even stay awake until closing time I find that the 11am opening hour irritates me even more than the 2am last call. I'm generally up at 4:30am, so going by my internal clock I'm having lunch when most people are having breakfast. So around 9:30-10 when I'm having a burger and fries at a greasy spoon it kills me that the place could lose its liquor license if it committed the cardinal sin of letting me have a beer with my meal. It's even worse when you're on a night shift and you're looking forward to dinner at 8am.

But I mean, God forbid the thought of someone having a mimosa with their 10 o'clock brunch. That would surely spell the end of civilization as we know it.

First, I think the proposed changes, as far as they go, are long overdue.

But, lest I look a gift horse in the mouth; "Thank You Dalton"

I would really like to see less restrictions in other respects.

Although I have no 'moral' objections, I can't say that I see the overwhelming need for 24-hour licensing........

But I do think by 'western' standards, our hours are unduly restrictive, as is our minimum drinking age (which needless to say, I'm long past)

An interesting comparison might be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_call_(bar_term)#Australia

The above looks at Last Calls around the world.

or here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_laws_of_the_United_States_by_state#List_by_state

Which looks broadly at U.S. laws on legal hours of sale and place of sale.

or here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_laws_of_the_United_States_by_state#List_by_state

which examines drinking ages around the world

While my attitudes would be on the liberal side of this issue (that is to say libertarian/permissive)

I think a reasonable position should be we should be no less liberal than our immediate neighbours.

Drinking Age in Manitoba and Quebec: 18

Last Call in New York: 4am; Quebec 3am

On the point of 'early hours'........On weekdays it has never really occurred to me as an issue, though I have somethings thought Sunday brunch demanded a light cocktail at 10:40am....

But I do note w/interest most U.S. states permit serving by 8am......

I wont miss those cramped beer gardens but i would rather be able to buy alcohol at the convenience stores and grocery stores during the hours of 8 am - 4 am 7 days week, like in NY state.

I don't drink but I totally agree that beer and wine should be sold in grocery and convenience stores. I think 19 is a good drinking age, I don't think it should be lowered. An end to beer gardens and tents is long overdue.

Back