8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Filip

Member Bio
Reaction score
Known as the New York City of the Balkans, Belgrade is a large city of about 2 million citizens. Located at the confluence of the Sava and Danube rivers; it has one of the most important geostrategic locations in Europe, making it a constant target of foreign invaders of the past.

Most of Belgrade was rebuilt from a Turkish Kasaba to a modern European city by Serbian Kings and Queens who insisted on modelling the city after Vienna and Budapest. After severly being destroyed in WWII; Belgrade has been rebuilt, but not to its former glory....

Pictures from March 2007

PICT0318.jpg

St. Mark's Church, standing proudly in the heart of Belgrade, was built in the 1930's as a much larger copy of the famous Gracanica monastery in Kosovo

PICT0329.jpg

On Takovska Street stand great examples of Academic and Serbian-Byzantine buildings

PICT0333.jpg

King Aleksandar Boulevard ends at Nikola Pasic Square (formerly Marx and Engels)

PICT0340.jpg

"Black Horses Playing" is a famous sculpture standing in front of the Serbian Parliament

PICT0347.jpg

Manicured grounds in front of the former Old Royal Palace, currently the City Hall of Belgrade

PICT0350.jpg

"Girl With Water Jug" in the palace park

PICT0351.jpg

The Old Palace facing onto nice examples of the rebuilding of 'European' Belgrade

PICT0372.jpg

Prince Milos Street, lined with grand, stately government buildings; we can see the Ministry of Statistics, Offices of the Government of Serbia and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs

PICT0374.jpg

King Milan Street is a major artery of Belgrade linking Terazije Square with the Temple of St. Sava

PICT0384.jpg

The modern glass facade of the Yugoslav Dramatic Theater

PICT0392.jpg

"With strength anything can be achieved" loosely translated from Old Slavic; a sculpture of the Serbian patron Saint, Saint Sava standing in front of the temple built in his honour (where his remains were burned by the Turks 600 years ago)

PICT0398.jpg

Walking down Karadjordjev Park near the underground railway station bearing the same name

PICT0402.jpg

St. Sava's Temple is the 2nd largest Orthodox place of worship in the world. Still under construction for over 70 years it awaits completion of its interior frescos and mosaics

PICT0415.jpg

Manjez Park is a lovely little retreat in the heart of the city

PICT0425.jpg

Details of the Government of Serbia building

PICT0447.jpg

Looking towards the Ministry of Transportation building and a newly rebuilt park

PICT0448.jpg

Up the stairs to the old annex of the Ministry of Defense, heavily bombed in 1999

PICT0455.jpg

Monument to the first Serbian uprising against the Turks

PICT0456.jpg

Incredible how such damage occured in the heart of Europe at the end of the last century; thank you NATO

PICT0461.jpg

Up Prince Milos Street towards the old Vrachar Bank building

PICT0466.jpg

Details of beautiful Academism buildings lining King Milan Street

PICT0470.jpg

Cariathides adorning the Old Palace

PICT0472.jpg

Through Palace Park to the Parliament of Serbia; that building surprisingly took over 20 years to build due to WWI

PICT0484.jpg

Derelict yet still gorgeous buildings on Terazije Square

PICT0494.jpg

Sremska Street is a cute little meandering crescent going towards the first skyscraper of the Balkans built in the early 30's: Albania Palace (named after a cafe that stood there before)

PICT0499.jpg

A continuation of Republic Square on the busy Prince Michael pedestrian zone

PICT0512.jpg

Toplicin Park with a statue to a Serbian hero who's name escapes me atm

PICT0529.jpg

Makedonska Street towards the Radio Belgrade building

PICT0534.jpg

Monument to a famous Serbian actor; the background building is the Palace of the Army (loosely translated)

PICT0538.jpg

A Serbian hero against the Turks pointing towards Republic Square; the National Theater is clearly visible

PICT0539.jpg

A mix of styles; heavily bombed parts of Belgrade were rebuilt quickly albeit, with a commie perspective. This gives us an eclectic mix of architecture

PICT0551.jpg

The Serbian Academy of Arts and Sciences, built in 1928; it is one of the greatest examples of secessionist Serbian architecture. The opening was attended by numerous foreign dignitaries including Nikola Tesla, one of the greatest Serbian minds to have ever lived

PICT0555.jpg

Reflections in the few modern buildings on Prince Michael Street

PICT0562.jpg

Details of ornate palaces

PICT0563.jpg

Details of the Serbian Academy of Arts and Sciences

PICT0574.jpg

Street scenes

PICT0578.jpg

This building has a quirky history. The inscription reads "First Croatian Savings Bank", this building was copied in Zagreb where the inscription reads "First Serbian Savings Bank" as a sign of south slavic (Yugoslav) unity

PICT0580.jpg

Prince Michael Street widens and then narrows at this point

PICT0584.jpg

The end of this pedestrian paradise; Kalemegdan Park, a beautiful central park and fortress

PICT0589.jpg

Architectural variety on King Peter Street

PICT0600.jpg

An arts pavillion in Kalemegdan Park where student organized expositions are often held

PICT0602.jpg

"Warrior at Rest"

PICT0603.jpg

"Nude Girl"

PICT0607.jpg

Monument to Riga of Pharaos, Greek hero killed by the Turks in Belgrade

PICT0614.jpg

Vasa Carapica Street's begining in Kalemedgan Park

PICT0620.jpg

One of the many interior gates of the Belgrade Fortress in Kalemegdan, and I swear that must be Julia Styles

PICT0631.jpg

Gates, bridges and many more of those...

PICT0640.jpg

Towers, walls and more gates!

PICT0644.jpg

Belgrade's Fortress was one of the most fortified in Europe, being at the border between 'East' and 'West' (Ottoman and Austro-Hungarian Empire)

PICT0647.jpg

This charming church has a chandelier made of muskets and swords due to its military nature and location

PICT0653.jpg

Remember Riga of Pharaos? He was killed in that tower

PICT0657.jpg

'Pobednik' or 'The Victor' is the undisputed symbol of Belgrade. Built as a symbol of victory in WWI, it was originally meant to have stood at Terazije Square but Belgrade's prudish women thought it was too scandalous to have a naked man staring them down

PICT0665.jpg

The Italian Steps leading out of the park towards the French Embassy and the Cathedral Church

PICT0675.jpg

Looking back at The Victor and the Italian Gardens

PICT0679.jpg

Kalemegdan Park slowly meets the city again, this time, in front of the Austrian Embassy

PICT0680.jpg

Statues, sculptures and monuments in the grand part of the park

PICT0681.jpg

"Man Fighting With Snake" the same sculpture also stands in Zagreb as a sign of (former) Yugoslav unity

PICT0683.jpg

A grand monument celebrating Serbia's love for France, as a gift of rememberance for French help during WWI. This monument is often defaced due to France turning its back on historical allies and bombing Serbia in 1999

PICT0684.jpg

Slowly the city engulfs the park as Prince Michael Street begins (or ends)

PICT0688.jpg

Modern against very old. The Baroque steeple of the Cathedral Church is the heart of the Serbian Orthodox Church

PICT0692.jpg

Cafe, hotel and the former headquarters of the National Bank of Serbia. The headquarters have moved to a new skyscraper built at Slavija Square

PICT0693.jpg

Serbian bankers, must be Belgrade's version of Bay Street

PICT0715.jpg

Prince Michael Street is the most popular location for foreign retailers who want to enter the Serbian market with a bang. Some of the more famous names on this strip are: Swatch, Swarovski, Adidas, Nike, Tommy Hilfiger, Diesel, Lacoste, Escada, Mango and Zara

PICT0694.jpg

Details of ornate buildings on King Peter Street

PICT0720.jpg

The steeple of the Cathedral Church is there to remind us that we're afterall still in the old, old part of the city

PICT0722.jpg

Toplicin Crescent is one of the most interesting parts of old Belgrade

PICT0725.jpg

From one of the most luxurious restaurants in Belgrade we can see New Belgrade and the Usce Tower, symbolic of the city's progressive nature towards a new and stable economy

Hope you enjoyed the first part, I will slowly pump out all my pictures of Belgrade taken over the last few years:cheers:

Beautiful city. Architecturally, it looks like it reached its zenith around 1905, much like a lot of cities in Eastern Central Europe.

Superb pictures Filip, of a rather amazing city. I lived in Belgrade for a little bit of time during the 90s, after 'escaping' from Croatia (long story). I liked the city then, but it was a city ready to bust. The poverty of the locals was made only more depressing by the endless amounts of refugees.

I spent a few months in Belgrade a few years ago and come back every once so often when I 'tour' the Balkans, and it is just amazing how much the city has changed. The beauty of the place does come out in the pictures - though Belgrade can still be ugly in places - but I think not the vibrancy and just the feeling of pure chaos and energy; I don't think this is your fault as this feeling cannot be captured by camera.

I'd have no qualms living in the city if I was indipendently wealthy.

Belgrade reached its zenith I would say immediately before WWII. Photos from then show a city comfortable in its own skin... Before being razed to the ground by Nazis and Fascists coming from the north and the west.

Belgrade really is an experience, every time I go back I see a city that has moved further ahead, cementing its position as one of the major urban centres of southeast Europe. With the economic situation in Serbia getting better by the minute, Belgrade can only fly ahead to become once again what it was before the fall of Yugoslavia.

I grew up near Novi Sad, and have been to Belgrade several times in my younger days. I always thought it was one of the most beautiful European cities. These pictures bring back some old memories. Thanks, Filip. :)

This is LARGE SUCCESS for L A N D B L A C K E A G L E . I have made very pride by this announce!!!

Yes, superior SABRE technology will help NA TO troop SLAY WARRIORS on battlefield AFGHAN and IRAQI (MESSOPOTAMIA).

Mister Filip you are once again show yourself to be ALBANIAN PATRIOT

Amazing architechture...I was born in Indjija - right in the heart of Srem between two of the most influential and important cities in Serbia - Belgrade and Novi Sad. I go back every couple of years, and Belgrade is a wonderful, special, and resilient place, makes me proud to be Serbian! Great pictures!

Back