News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Is anyone good here are pulling data from a website? Bell's site now will tell you if your address has fibre to the home (vs fibe). And they don't ask if you are a bot. Would be awesome if someone could pull this down and create a map for all of Toronto.
I bet Bell has a map and it would surely be easier to ask them for it - presumably it changes frequently. Though I am not really sure why anyone would want such a map (except Bell and its competitors). (From a quick check, the link by postal code tells you which areas COULD have fibre not which actually have it TODAY - for example, my building is listed but we are actually not fully connected.)

I bet Bell has a map and it would surely be easier to ask them for it - presumably it changes frequently. Though I am not really sure why anyone would want such a map (except Bell and its competitors). (From a quick check, the link by postal code tells you which areas COULD have fibre not which actually have it TODAY - for example, my building is listed but we are actually not fully connected.)

I'm a visual person (like many). I'm thinking about moving and one of my conditions for my new place will be fibre. I want my house future proofed and in the next 3-5 years Cable Internet speeds will pale in comparison to fibre (and I don't want to be at the whim of when Rogers/Bell rolls out fibre to a neighbourhood).

Hence a map would be handy for the areas that you can get fibre. I guess I will have to type in the address from MLS into the Bell website each and every time :(

And yes, I know Rogers just rolled out a 1 Gig service and fibre has a max of 1 Gig right now. But with the right electronics fibre can go exponentially larger while the "dumb pipe" of Rogers is pushing its limit.

I've had gigabit fibe in my apartment from the 70s for around a year now, but still can't justify paying the prices bell charges for their service.

Fibe-TV is a great service. It's not cheap though, but I prefer it to the alternatives. I mean alternative. LOL.
Alternative, singular? Aside from Rogers Cable you have satellite and a handful of IPTV services from independent telcos

I've had gigabit fibe in my apartment from the 70s for around a year now, but still can't justify paying the prices bell charges for their service.

Right now I agree. 99% of people only need 50 or 100 megs. But based on historical growth we will need 1 gig in 2020 or 2021 and then more thereafter. So when looking for a home its just prudent to make sure fibre (not fake fibe) is an option.

I 100% do not want a place where Bell and Rogers has illegally placed their poles in the back yards 50 years ago (without an easement). I would be afraid that Bell/Rogers will not upgrade these wires because they know that one person can screw over the entire street by kicking them off.

Right now I agree. 99% of people only need 50 or 100 megs. But based on historical growth we will need 1 gig in 2020 or 2021 and then more thereafter. So when looking for a home its just prudent to make sure fibre (not fake fibe) is an option.
And days after making this post, I ended up signing up for Bell lol. $73.90 for gigabit internet + TV + phone sounded like a pretty good deal, so I'm looking forward to the increase in speed!

And days after making this post, I ended up signing up for Bell lol. $73.90 for gigabit internet + TV + phone sounded like a pretty good deal, so I'm looking forward to the increase in speed!

Was about to say, Bell's getting competitive(for once) with their gigabit speed

I prefer to brand it as Bell Fib-E

The "fib" was in BELL's original choice of brand name: Fiber. This led people to believe that BELL was putting FOC (fibre optic cable) into the units, which is not the case. Fortunately, someone complained to the regulators.
Nope.

Its changing.

I can confirm this is real Fiber To The Home.

I know someone who has Bell Gigabit.

Same speed as Google Fiber in USA!

Definitelt rocket fast. Get it if you are lucky and can afford it.

http://www.bell.ca/Gigabit-Fibe-Internet

They are finally wiring this to existing condos. I think they are using that new "Corning ClearCurve" stuff that makes it much easier to retroactively wire condos. Most newbuild condos have wire ducting that you can drop the fiber through, and reach the units. Condo management will need to work things out with bell, to make it happen.... But they are now pulling fiber into condos that don't have the fiber yet. If you are a condo dweller and it doesnt show yet, you might be able to petition your condo board to ask Bell to wire-up your tower.

They are spending over a billion dollars in Toronto doing this now.

I hear that Bell are offering to rewire older condo and rental buildings for Fibre at no cost. Being a cynic, I assume there is a catch. Comments
My main concern is that, once upgraded, BELL will exert pressure on condo boards to make the service compulsory for all unit owners.

Nope.

Its changing.

I can confirm this is real Fiber To The Home.

I know someone who has Bell Gigabit.

Same speed as Google Fiber in USA!

Definitelt rocket fast. Get it if you are lucky and can afford it.

http://www.bell.ca/Gigabit-Fibe-Internet

They are finally wiring this to existing condos. I think they are using that new "Corning ClearCurve" stuff that makes it much easier to retroactively wire condos. Most newbuild condos have wire ducting that you can drop the fiber through, and reach the units. Condo management will need to work things out with bell, to make it happen.... But they are now pulling fiber into condos that don't have the fiber yet. If you are a condo dweller and it doesnt show yet, you might be able to petition your condo board to ask Bell to wire-up your tower.

They are spending over a billion dollars in Toronto doing this now.
I will believe this when I see an FOC media-converter appear in my condo unit....

My main concern is that, once upgraded, BELL will exert pressure on condo boards to make the service compulsory for all unit owners.
If a condo board wanted to add a new service they need a favourable vote by owners. In our condo the Board agreed to have the whole building 'wired' with fibre (at Bell's cost. This brought fibre to each Unit. Then the Board held info meetings and canvassed owners to see if there was interest in a building-wide high-speed internet contract. There was and we passed the necessary by-law with a very large majority. That was 2 years ago and residents are very happy.

Back