8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

greenleaf

Member Bio
Reaction score
I would love to see this built, in some form. I think the concept of it reflects the messy urbanism of Toronto.

From the National Post:

berkeley.jpg

By Diana Mehta, National Post

City planners have deemed too adventurous a proposal to build high-end condos on top of an historic east-end church.

The Berkeley Playing Fields condominiums would see a 26-storey glass and steel structure extend over and above the 19-century Berkeley church on a downtroden stretch of Queen Street East at Berkeley Street.
A pre-application was turned down by city officials last week.

“We don’t typically take historical buildings and put that much density on top of it,†said Greg Pereira, a planner for the city, adding that the development’s extensive blending of old and new was only part of the problem. The city also disapproves of portions of the development that would extend out over the street, Mr. Pereira said, and the city is trying to keep that stretch of Queen Street at six to seven storeys.

“Berkeley Street is identified as a special street, a small-scale neighbourhood with a fine grain character. [The Playing Field’s] 26 storeys doesn’t reflect that,†he said.

In addition to 200 residential units, the Berkeley Playing Fields would feature a cafe and an environmental store on the ground level, a rooftop jazz club and a boutique hotel with 12 suites — each themed from a Hollywood movie — on the second floor.

Doug Wheler, the 70-year-old adman and would-be developer of the $100-million project, said he was willing to make a few tweaks to his “platinum†design to satisfy city requirements.

But Mr. Wheler, who helped design the project, said he was not willing to compromise its fundamental blending of old with new.

“We would never attempt to do something that wasn’t architecturally a beautiful counterpoint,†said the 70-year-old, who restored the Berkeley church for use as an events venue in 1999.

Treatment of the church roof in the condominium plans has been a focal point for the city.

According to the current architect’s drawings, the roof would be made transparent, to look up to a 60 by 100 foot screen fastened to the bottom of the residential units above. Those in the church below would see images of the surrounding neighbourhood projected on the gigantic screen from a camera on the roof of the Playing Fields.

“There will be images of the street, the sky, sailboats out in the lake,†said Mr. Wheler. “It’s an idea I’ve had for a while. I haven’t seen it done.â€
But city officials weren’t as enthusiastic.

“When you start stripping old buildings away, you lose the feel of it. […] Maybe the roof is part of that character,†Mr. Pereira said.
The city is suggesting fewer storeys and a different relationship between the historic church and the new building. The project could still incorporate the church into the design, according to city officials, but high-rise condos are too imposing for the old-town-feel of that stretch of street.

But Mr. Wheler is in no hurry to begin construction on his pet project as he continues to work on his events business at the Berkeley church.

“The Playing Fields is noa project I want to rush†he said. “It’ll be complete before I die.â€

I really have to think about this one. I am suspicious of the illustration, partially becasue it resorts to highly unrealistic colours, and I feel like it's trying to distract me from something. There is something unsettling, perhaps even goofy, about this proposal.

I guess I am with G. on this one.

I think the pillars right beside the church are faking it - they've done it in such a way to suggest that it's going to be a slim, ribbon-like column that somehow can manage to support the weight above. The positioning doesn't make much sense either - the one closest to the right side ended up right below a window without going through it - as if there is no need to transfer the load downward.

It's trying so hard to make itself awkward. Messy it isn't - ugly and inappropriate, it is.

AoD

“Berkeley Street is identified as a special street, a small-scale neighbourhood with a fine grain character. [The Playing Field’s] 26 storeys doesn’t reflect that,†he said.

I guess the four 20 storey Moss Park towers across the street don't count?

They have enough room next to the church, both to the west and to the south, that they don't have to go over the church. Looks horrible.

Agreed. Building something out of scale beside the historic church is bad enough. Building on top of it as well, is even worse. (a very arrogant design).

I have to admire the imagination that has gone into this proposal, (ie. the replacement of the ceiling of the church/event space with a transparent one through which event goers could watch projections on the underside of the condos is rather wonderfully out-there), but what we have here is a bit of a vanity project that needs to be reined-in to a degree.

Nowhere in the article do we find a name attached to the design other than Doug Wheeler's - whoever the architects are that are involved with Wheeler are not deemed important enough to be identified - which may reflect a lack of influence on the design on their part, or a lack of name-brand-recognition (and hence street-cred) if they are a generic we'll-build-whatever-we're-paid-to firm, or maybe both.

Anyway, someone needs to get through to Wheeler that this "platinum" design isn't looking that colour to too many others, and that it would likely benefit from review by a design panel to bring some elegance to his imaginative ideas, and better scale for the area.

I like the design, I just don't like how it's over the church. Makes it look silly. Those pillars on the side of the church look stupid.

yeesh, the vitriol.

If someone is going to make another condo in this city with floor-to-ceiling windows and glass balconies I'd rather see something a bit different and creative like this than another copy of Spire, or glas, or Pure Spirits, or east lofts, etc.

Well, I'm quasi-charitable. Though, yes, it's a bit like a Will Alsop sensibility crossbred with Harry Stinson naivety...

Funny how nobody's raised the L Tower as a comparison point.

I'm not as sensitive to design aesthetics as many on this forum so while I don't have any complaint with the style of the building Tyler I don't really like how it treats the church. What I mean is that the structure seems overtly disrespectful to it's context. Sometimes you can get away with this if it is done in a playful manner, this is not one of those projects.

There also appears to be no visual connection between the two structures. Sometimes it can work, as it arguably does with the ROM Crystal, but in this case it appears the new building dominates and boxes in the the old.

Back