News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Global/CTV/City are all good at that it seems... and the gimmicks these days..
Global's main problem is that they have one signal for all of Ontario. So the newscast is too Toronto for 75% of the province, but not Toronto enough for the 25% here. Ontario needs at least three Global affiliates (Toronto, Ottawa and maybe London) to serve the province more properly.

Isn't Naked News run out of Toronto?

Anyway, I've always watched or PVR'd CITY News at 6 for local coverage and CBC at 10. Tonight CITY News lead with 17 minutes of car deaths (live!), funerals, murder, hit and run & other nonsense. I'm making a conscious decision now to find another 6pm local news source, I can't take all that death every night. Rogers has done something to change the format, it never used to be like that. I'll miss Michael Kuss's weather forecasts. I'll probably try CFTO news for a week or so (in SD) and see how that goes

The only good thing about the evening news is that it must come to an end. Stories on CNN can take on a life of their own. Fox turns them into moral crusades.

The worst was the old Toronto 1 news

That was the only time i heard a reporter drop the F-bomb on live tv.

I gravitated back to CityTV news tonight. By 6:15 they offered a warning of graphic footage and they sure delivered the goods. Shown were graphic YouTube video clips of soldiers in Iraq throwing a puppy off a cliff, tossing a grenade into a herd of sheep and another animal being tortured but I had to turn my head, I couldn't watch it anymore. I thought I was pretty jaded but that really disturbed me. I can't imagine how a child would interpret those images.
They've lost me for good this time.

Regarding the major news outlets in the Toronto area, I think I can range them on a scale from the most objective to the least:

CTV
Global
CityTv (covers local really well but almost trivializes world/regional events)

Oddly enough, the same formula applies to our major newspapers:

Globe and Mail
Toronto Star
Toronto Sun

My favorite is usually the realism and true detective-like sluething done by Channel 9's journalist team but occasionally I glance at the more imformal/human interest angles of Global News at 11.

good discussion here...

for the most part I will watch CBC news at 6. Their actual news segments are done really well, especially the international news led by Neil MacDonald covering the US.

I think CITY does still have the best local downtown feel. Global is often good on international issues, but sometimes I am weary of biases based on their ownership. CTV just seems dated to me somehow and I rarely watch it.

The thing that I am beginning to get sick of with the CBC broadcast as well as every other channel is this "friendly" shallow and goofy banter between the presenters. It just makes me squirm to watch it. Bring back that stoic Walter Cronkite presentation that I grew up on in the '70's!

And even worse is the alternately cheery / gloom and doom weather reporters that seem to have this "God" complex that they are actually responsible for the weather. And weather reports keep getting longer it seems to me... they could tell me all I need to know in 10 seconds... better yet I could look out the window before I need to go out. If you really need a weather report though, the most tolerable seems to be Matt Hayes on CH in Hamilton...

Personally I don't watch the news on TV very much anymore. I get my news from TheStar.com and Globeandmail.com

If I would have to choose though, I'd say CBC or CTV or maybe City. I avoid Global.

^ I've practically written off the entire CityTv netwrok for some time now. I don't think I've watched a show on there since the last Hell's Kitchen.

Online news is becoming a greater force on my media exposure nowadays as well as I get to pick and choose what I want to know more through this medium. CBC still comes off as a boomers channel. Even my parents don't watch it.

Keep your eyes on CBC Vancouver's news if you are able to watch stations from across the country. The Ceeb is using Vancouver as their test market for "getting back into the regions" and are throwing a ton of money at that newcast. Whatever ends up working (or not working) there will be replicated by other CBC stations across the country.

I agree though, despite a very limited budget, CBC Toronto does a great job at 6:00pm.

Agree with all those who've criticized CityTV. It's cartoonish and embarrasing (to me as a Torontonian). Still turn to CP24 for local news, weather and such, but it's a constant disappointment when it comes to integrity/style.

For international news, I'll usually hit BBC World or CBC.

CBC is too impersonal and left wingish. But that probably appeases to most here.

City TV is just a joke. Mark Dailey is a zombie.

CTV does the best job I think. Plus Ken Shaw is a MILF.

Global is almost as cheesey as City TV. Leslie Roberts should be working on the Shopping Channel sellling woman's facial products.

I actually prefer Mark Dailey over most of the 6 or 11 news anchors. Both Gord Martineau and Ann Mcadgjioajdgski are fake and annoying as hell. I miss Alex Pierson on City. She seemed the most normal of the evening anchors.

Back