News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I remember reading it was going to be a Parasuco store at one point.

10 Jan 2011--to open before the Templar?

019uv.jpg

Indeed. Of course the Templar is aiming to be finished by the time the Olympics come to Toronto, so cut them some slack. ;)

Fall 2010 was when the Templar was supposed to open, according to their front door haha.

Latest I've heard is that the Templar will be opening sometime in the last week of this month (or at least a soft opening), to coincide with the Interior Design Show.
I had a sneak peek last month and it's stunning so far and will be one of the most progressive and modern boutique hotels in the city.
It will be well worth the wait.

I see there's a very subtle and minimalist Second Empire reference at the top floor among that modern design. How 1970s: follow the rules of Modernism, while slipping in something historical under the radar like what resemble dormer windows.

All and all, this is a modest but important project. The architecture is comtemporary, but with its scale and brick facade, it fits nicely into Queen's signature brick aesthetic. Duke's could have done something similar instead of going with all that precast.

It looks like it's about to open now. I should have took a pic, but it was too cold to take off the mittens to bother.

I noticed work is being done on the property beside it, and there is scaffolding in the pit. Still no clue what's going on there though.

While it's nice to fill in the gaps on our old commercial stretches, I find buildings like these are where Toronto fails to be creative or forward thinking. Instead of building something truly modern or forward-thinking, we're stuck with a couple buildings that are halfway between run-of-the-mill contemporary and cheesy historical pastiche; the result in this case is too Disney-ish.

http://www.archdaily.com/7093/basqu...adquarters-in-bilbao-coll-barreu-arquitectos/

This example may be a bit much for this location, but there are ways to play off of the existing vernacular by using a contrast of materials and styles, which ends up being more engaging and positive than a cheap facsimile.

Wow that's a public sector building ? The Health department.
Can you imagine the outrage if tax dollars went toward that here!

Anyway, while I do agree with you, these two buildings are quite above par and fit in very nicely, so they're not the best choices to single out ...

I'd rather Toronto be filled with building's like these than that Basque monstrosity. As for the S-Trip! garbage, it's nothing but architectural assault and battery. I hope it's a decal and not a paint job.

Last edited:
Not to be all right wing financially conservative here... but how much of the basque project was paid for by transfer payments from the EU and or "happy" money from the Spanish government.

2004-2008 were good years for public works projects in Spain.

Too bad that 22.8% of Spanish works are currently unemployed - but heck - that public health building is GORGEOUS!

^^ 48.6% youth unemployment (16-24 y/o) and that building is atrocious.

Last edited:

Back