News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Check out this video from Streetfilms:

[video=vimeo;38043563]http://vimeo.com/38043563[/video]

(Count the number of bicyclists with helmets.)

Ugh. As if the P gates along the Ontario Place stretch of the Martin Goodman Trail weren't bad enough, they are now replacing them with vertical posts. In some places there are just 2, but so far at least one road crossing (Ontario Place Blvd. at the east end) has three posts installed. What a pain.

Ugh. As if the P gates along the Ontario Place stretch of the Martin Goodman Trail weren't bad enough, they are now replacing them with vertical posts. In some places there are just 2, but so far at least one road crossing (Ontario Place Blvd. at the east end) has three posts installed. What a pain.

The P gates were certainly terrible, bollards are definitely the way to go. I would expect that to be a big improvement, I don't see why you're upset.

Ideally, there would be one in the centre of the path, and one on each side.

I think the bollards are actually more dangerous than the gates given the amount of traffic that is often at those intersections. The safest situations always seem to be when the gates are open and traffic (both pedestrian and wheeled) is moving freely.

I think the bollards are actually more dangerous than the gates given the amount of traffic that is often at those intersections. The safest situations always seem to be when the gates are open and traffic (both pedestrian and wheeled) is moving freely.

A bollard in the centre of the path doesn't impede anyone since everyone should be on the right side of the path anyway (you're not supposed to change lanes in an intersection). Bollards on the side of the path don't impede anyone because they're not on the path.

I've never really had a problem with the P-gates at Ontario Place or elsewhere; they just seem to be designed to slow traffic down on the trail, which is what should be happening at those intersections anyway.

They actually don't slow traffic -- people whip through them; I've seen a number of accidents and near misses, less so during commuter hours however when "regulars" are using the trail. (I'm on the trail at least once a day, both as a pedestrian and as a cyclist). The way the 3 bollards have been installed, they are ALL on the path, so it's a tight squeeze to go between them.

And yes, everyone SHOULD be on the right side, but unfortunately that doesn't always happen.

I've never really had a problem with the P-gates at Ontario Place or elsewhere; they just seem to be designed to slow traffic down on the trail, which is what should be happening at those intersections anyway.

Why does traffic need to slow at those intersections? Because the intersections are poorly designed. We don't have speed bumps before every intersection on our arterial roads, do we?

Rather than blaming cyclists riding on the bike path for getting hit by cars while crossing an intersection on a green light, we should actually fix the problem, which is that cars are allowed to turn across the bike path while bikes have a green light.

The way the 3 bollards have been installed, they are ALL on the path, so it's a tight squeeze to go between them.

Oh, well that is certainly a problem.

And yes, everyone SHOULD be on the right side, but unfortunately that doesn't always happen.

I find markings go a long way in terms of making paths less chaotic. Toronto's new bike paths (Finch Hydro, Leaside etc.) have a dashed orange centre line as well as directional arrows painted on the pavement. Most people are on the right side of the path, whereas on other paths people are all over the place. The MGT has centre lines which are blue and faded, and I don't think there are arrows. A dashed orange line would be better because technically you're not supposed to pass on a solid centre line.

Last edited:
The green and blue lines of the MGT are iconic in my opinion; the distinctive colour combination evokes waterfront parkland and is calming. The P gates around Ontario Place should be removed as soon as possible because they are too constricting for the volume of trail traffic in both directions. Bollards have also been poorly installed in the past on the MGT, making it impossible to pass with a stroller or on a bicycle with a trailer. These crude attempts at addressing safety issues at intersecting points with car access roads are unfortunate because they compromise another public space amenity in Toronto that is otherwise excellent and very enjoyable and satisfying to use. Cars are creating a safety issue, but it's the trail users that get barricades. Each intersection should be redesigned to better address the issue without compromising trail safety.

I'm curious... but everyday I take what looks to be an old alignment of the Martin Goodman trail beside Lakeshore between Rees and QQ. I have even seen some remnants of this path else where along Lakeshore... does anyone know why the city choose to abandon it?

Cars are creating a safety issue, but it's the trail users that get barricades. Each intersection should be redesigned to better address the issue without compromising trail safety.

OK. Here's my recommendation.

Below is the current situation at Lakeshore and Rememberance, showing the movements that are permitted while cyclists have a green light.

Cars are in red, bicycles are in blue and pedestrians are in yellow.
lakeshoreontarioplaceol.jpg

The solution is to ban all turns while the MGT has a green light. That's not as big a deal as it sounds, because most turns can easily be moved to other parts of the signal cycle.

In order to provide access out of the Ontario Place parking lot without taking too much green time away from Lakeshore Avenue and the MGT, each intersection will have only two signal phases. That isn't enough phases to accommodate all turning movements without conflict, so I had to restrict some movements.

At Rememberance Drive, I've banned left turns off Lakeshore. That movement is accommodated at Newfoundland Dr. instead.
There can now be two conflict-free phases:
lakeshoreontarioplacene.jpg

lakeshoreontarioplacene.jpg

At Newfoundland Drive, I've banned left turns onto Lakeshore. Westbound access out of Ontario Place is provided at Rememberance Drive, and access eastbound out of the Ex is provided at Manitoba Drive.
lakeshoreontarioplacecr.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for working that out, reaperexpress. The Martin Goodman Trail is an excellent waterfront amenity that's very popular and deserves more refined solutions like the ones you've devised and illustrated.

Physically Separated Bike Lanes

[video=youtube;ONS2ptAR4mo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONS2ptAR4mo[/video]

Helsinki's Baana Bicycle Corridor opens.

See this link.

5031008734_5e07e89219_z.jpg

helsinki.jpg

[video=youtube;jM75aG9kqbs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM75aG9kqbs[/video]

Back