News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Here's some good news about our "long overdue" bicycle system getting a good start. Finally.

Clip_2.jpg

Oh, wait, sorry, I should check the dates of things first I guess!

I'm a supporter of a strong network of useful bikelanes. However, at some point I suspect that bike lanes become regressive, not progressive. The objective of municipalities around the world seems to be a race for boasting rights over how many km of bike lanes they can claim (aside: Hamburg is a particularly failed example of this as they have expropriated sidewalk for this purpose). This is not a good thing in my opinion. Bike lanes are somewhat akin to expressways. Their objective is exclusionary to benefit a single transportation mode. I support such exclusion only to the extent that it creates a strong useful network to encourage cycling and allow real improvement to the flow of people and goods through the city. Beyond the basic network backbone my opinion is that mixed traffic is more progressive and that the vast majority of bike trip distances should occur in mixed traffic. I drive and bike in the city extensively. As a cyclist or driver if you are uncomfortable sharing the road with mixed traffic you shouldn't be on the road.

that's amazing! i had a similar idea using lasers, just without the bike symbol.

I've been a fan of the Vancouver bike lane set up whereby the lanes parallel major routes, but aren't on them. I'd much rather bike along a side street where there is much less traffic and consquently much less chance of "interacting" with a car.

As an aside, this spring I think I will begin biking to work along the newish Rogers bike lane, as it goes past my house and goes pretty much all the way to my work. Which shows, I think, that it does encourage cycling as I am an inveterate driver.

someone should create something like this for multilane highways for snowy conditions (but not attached to cars). i was on the 400 last night and it was hard to figure out where the lanes were.

it would be hard to implement since it would have to be overhead & being overhead, it could possibly blind a driver if they have to change lanes.

the bike system is below eye level.

I wonder if there is a stun setting, or a setting to melt the snow, or a setting to remove cars parked in the bicycle lane?

light_lane.jpg

you mean like sharks with laser beams attached to their heads?

200px-Drevil_million_dollars.jpg

*Bump (sorry :eek:)

Toronto's downtown is lacking in continuous, straight biking routes. The Queens Quay proposal would provide a separated bicycle link along the harbourfront and it got me thinking...

What would you think of putting a curb-separated bikeway on Bay street from Queens Quay to Davenport? This could easily be done by only taking away one lane of traffic, or if you wanted to have wider sidewalks, take away 2 lanes of traffic. It would act as a spine for the Toronto bike network in the same way that the bikeway on Boul de Maisonneuve acts as a spine in Montreal.

Also, what major east-west street would you like to see improved to include a bike route?

For me I would be happy with a shared route with bike boxes along Queen from Ronces to the Don. It doesn't necessarily have to be separated. As long as it is a designated a bike route, drivers will get used to the presence of cyclists. Its not like cars can travel the same distance much faster than a bicycle on Queen Street regardless. And for those drivers who don't want to have to deal with cyclists, there is always King or Dundas as alternates.

Last edited:
I agree with you. There needs to be a proper north south bike route on either Bay or Yonge.

The Sherbourne lane is too far removed to the core to be useful.

Back