News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I'm divided on that for if you have reviewed some of the Bloor Street Studies (https://www.tcat.ca/resources/bloor-street-economic-impact-studies/) it seems to indicate that having them right in front of businesses on the Main Street is most ideal for any economic impact.

That said, I love riding down 102 or 83Ave and then rejoining the commercial Main Street where needed and walking to and fro.

For me, I'd prefer it as is... but concede that you likely do have less indiscriminate spending.

I'm divided on that for if you have reviewed some of the Bloor Street Studies (https://www.tcat.ca/resources/bloor-street-economic-impact-studies/) it seems to indicate that having them right in front of businesses on the Main Street is most ideal for any economic impact.

That said, I love riding down 102 or 83Ave and then rejoining the commercial Main Street where needed and walking to and fro.

For me, I'd prefer it as is... but concede that you likely do have less indiscriminate spending.
I think we should have it both ways. Riding on 102 and 103 avenues is, indeed, as pleasant as it gets, with the mature streets, good landscaping and the character houses and buildings, but as for improving the urban experience, having to stop and sometimes carry your bike a block, sometimes a little more, to use bike racks an go to places on Jasper or Whyte, is a big nuisance, especially if it is colder.

I really believe that if we made boking, especially in the core and surrounding neighborhoods, we'd see a big increase in bike ridership and the worldwide experience is that having (well designed and implemented) bike lanes improves the experience for everyone: businesses, pedestrians, commuters and residents of the area alike. So I wouldn't change what we have, I'd just add more, on Whyte, Jasper, 101 and 100 Streets, and some others.

Another catalyst to accelerate safe and inclusive active transportation options in Edmonton.

Deputy city manager Stephanie McCabe said in order for Edmonton to be carbon neutral by 2050, a significant amount of public and private investment will be required to diversify the economy, construct energy-efficient buildings and complete the city’s active transportation network.
We are already seeing the consequences of climate change. Edmonton is one of the fastest warming regions in the world and the science shows that our climate is expected to change even more significantly into the future,” McCabe said. “Our risk of urban flooding may double, we’ll experience more frequent and intense weather events and our ecosystem will change.”

Would love to see continually improved bike networks / active transportation options.

To chime in on the scooter ownership, my wife and I own our own scooters, they're a lot of fun and we have some trails near us that connects us into the bike networks in most of the central neighbourhoods and get us to wherever we want to be pretty safely. Lets me happily leave my car at home in favour of a more fun, green option.

I'd say biggest downside (for me personally) is going into a business. Leaving a personal scooter unattended has not been a good idea in the least, and I've heard one too many theft and vandalism stories for them as well, even with good locks and alarms. I guess they are just easier to take compared to a bike. Usually, it's not a big deal to just bring them into a store with you (you can put a basket right on the scooter in a grocery store!) but in some smaller local places or restaurants, it's just a hassle trying to figure that out. They fold up, but are still pretty bulky and heavy.

Also kind of a bummer is seeing rental scooters 'parked' all over the place in everyone's way, people speeding on busy and narrow sidewalks, or doing tricks and cutting in traffic. Kinda makes you look bad by association!

I don't ride scooters but I'm assuming the main reason people ride on sidewalks versus on the road on busier streets is they don't feel safe?

I also see bikes on sidewalks on certain busier streets such as 100 Ave between 109 and 116 streets - especially in winter. Some people just don't feel safe or comfortable on certain roads like Jasper Avenue or Whyte.

Last edited:
Screenshot_20210502-113930_Samsung Internet.jpg

These are US stats from the comprehensive National Household Travel Survey from 2017 (survey is only done every 8 years). I would say stats are similar in Canada.

Basically, about 1/5 of all car trips are under 1.5km in length and nearly half are under 5km. Such potential to cut a lot of car traffic and also cut future congestion as population increases - and instead opt for walking and biking and rolling. Less need for parking spaces and all the costs associated with that, along with the physical, mental health benefits and of course environmental benefits.

The problem in most cities is that infrastructure is lacking making bike and scooter networks disconnected and potentially dangerous for people who would opt for these modes.

Last edited:
Just saw some Bird scooters on Jasper Ave, so nice to see that it didn’t take until June this year…

They would likely be used more for commuting if they were more affordable. Using them to commute from West Oliver to Downtown and back could end up costing as much as parking, depending on where you park.

When you look at the per-day cost of vehicle insurance + gas + parking, it comes out to be cheaper to use a scooter than to drive that distance

Last edited:
True, but no cargo capacity, no climate control, and only based on no passengers. I love them, but as Chaz mentioned, they are not very affordable (in lots of circumstances)

True, but no cargo capacity, no climate control, and only based on no passengers. I love them, but as Chaz mentioned, they are not very affordable (in lots of circumstances)
THIS /\

And if you consider that most people already own cars, it becomes unthinkable that people would replace them for these scooters as a commuting method.
They're also not available during most of the year.
I love them, and will more likely than not use them quite a lot this spring/summer to go to some places around downtown, but they're still not affordable enough or convenient enough to become a major transportation method.

THIS /\

And if you consider that most people already own cars, it becomes unthinkable that people would replace them for these scooters as a commuting method.
They're also not available during most of the year.
I love them, and will more likely than not use them quite a lot this spring/summer to go to some places around downtown, but they're still not affordable enough or convenient enough to become a major transportation method.

There are cities that run their own bike share programs and the rates are very low that they are not even cost recovery on the surface. That's because the city knows the more vehicles that are off the road, the more money that is saved and so when that is factored in, the city ends up ahead in the end.
That was from either Not Just Bikes or Oh the Urbanity!

Back