News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Imagine walking into a car dealership and wanting to buy a new car. After you pick out the one you want, you tell the salesman “Never mind the headlights, I don’t need them, I don’t drive at night.” and see how far you would get. Same with the horn, “Why do I need to pay for a horn? I never honk at anybody.” That’s the way it is in the US when you buy a bicycle.

I don't think that's the same situation here. We do have some cycling laws.

From http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/pubs/cycling-guide/section5.0.shtml, here are some things that stood out to me.

HTA 147 - Slow moving traffic travel on right side
Any vehicle moving slower than the normal traffic speed should drive in the right-hand lane, or as close as practicable to the right edge of the road except when preparing to turn left or when passing another vehicle. For cyclists, you must ride far enough out from the curb to maintain a straight line, clear of sewer grates, debris, potholes, and parked car doors. You may occupy any part of a lane when your safety warrants it. Never compromise your safety for the convenience of a motorist behind you. Set fine: $85.00

The part about sewer grates is interesting, because here in Vaughan, the sewer grates stick out very far, and have usually sunk down quite far, causing a large area of cracked pavement. So if I ride far enough out to avoid them, I am riding almost in the middle of the lane. Usually what I do is ride at a reasonable distance from the curb and just check over my shoulder and move into the middle of the lane to get around big sewer sinkholes.

HTA 62(17) - Lights
A bike must have a white front light and a red rear light or reflector if you ride between 1/2 hour before sunset and 1/2 hour after sunrise and white reflective tape on the front forks and red reflective tape on rear forks. Set fine: $20.00

HTA 75 (5) - Bell
A bike must have a bell or horn in good working order. Set fine: $85.00

HTA 64(3) - Brakes
A bike must have at least one brake system on the rear wheel. When you put on the brakes, you should be able to skid on dry, level pavement. Set fine: $85.00

HTA 104 - Helmets
Every cyclist under the age of eighteen must wear an approved bicycle helmet. Parents or guardians shall not knowingly permit cyclists under sixteen to ride without a helmet. Set fine: $60.00

We do in fact have safety regulations on bikes. No one knows about HTA 75(5), and I think they would be quite angry if they got fined $85 for not having a bell. More publicity is needed here.

HTA 64(4) is strange, because being able to skid is not a sign of safety. My old bike would not skid on dry pavement because it had mountain bike sized road tires with an insane amount of grip. So I could have gotten fined $85 for that?

On a different note, my CAA driving instructor says that when you get demerit points when you don't have a license, they give you a drivers license number and put the points on that.

PS. For some reason on the MTO site, first sentences in paragraphs are not capitalized until about halfway down the page. I fixed them in my quotes.

Last edited:
About HTA 75:

I've noticed that better bike stores have that information posted in the store (Cyclepath Brampton, for example) and many throw in the bell for free (Urbane Cyclists, for example). Canadian Tire @ Bay and Dundas has it posted near the bike accessories section, but I can't say if other locations do.

I think that in most stores, one can buy a bike and leave without a bell or horn, without a light, without reflectors, etc..

Aside from increasing number of bike lanes, I have noticed the new roads and newly reconstructed non-Regional roads in Mississauga have wider outer lanes to accommodate cyclists.

I didn't know that bells were required on bicycles. I'm not going to put any lights on my bike.

As a kid, I tried to use a generator light. The moving tire would generate power for the headlight, but in the process the friction would slow the rider down. Battery powered lights either ran down to nothing or you forget to change them.

Apparently, there are now solar-powered LED lights. Some have power for up to 8 hours in constant mode or 16 hours in flashing mode. The charge is said to take 3 hours of full sun. Has anyone tried them? How are they after a winter of non-use?

HTA 64(4) is strange, because being able to skid is not a sign of safety. My old bike would not skid on dry pavement because it had mountain bike sized road tires with an insane amount of grip. So I could have gotten fined $85 for that?
The ability to skid relates to the tightness of the brakes on the wheel frame/hub. If the brakes are insufficiently tight, the wheel will still spin while the brakes are fully applied. Hence the reference to skidding on dry pavement.

What they need are generator lights with really strong generators that charge a battery when the brakes are pressed. That way it doesn't matter that it slows you down, and you don't have to worry about batteries dying or solar panels becoming weaker with age.
Regenerative braking systems to charge head/tail lights are well overkill for a bike. Better off with a kinetic charger that'll recharge when you go up/down hill or over bumps.

As a kid, I tried to use a generator light. The moving tire would generate power for the headlight, but in the process the friction would slow the rider down. Battery powered lights either ran down to nothing or you forget to change them.

Apparently, there are now solar-powered LED lights. Some have power for up to 8 hours in constant mode or 16 hours in flashing mode. The charge is said to take 3 hours of full sun. Has anyone tried them? How are they after a winter of non-use?

Modern LED lights last forever on AA batteries. It's been over a year since I last replaced my batteries and they're still going fine. Generators just aren't worth it any more.

The Bay Street lane I approve of, the rest are nonsense. There is already so many quiet streets that go north-south, Spadina, University, and Jarvis bike lanes are largely redundant.

The elephant in the room is that there is no safe options for east-west travel... College through Little Italy is a death trap, and always will be.

Bay/University/St. George are all streets I've tried out on my bike commute and I entirely agree - Bay is better, and University is completely unnecessary and a bit scary. East-west the best is Davenport if you happen to be that far north. I hear Dundas East is good as well.

Back