News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

seperate

Let's be clear, bikes and motorized vehicles shouldn't share the "same" road because they aren't the same. What this means is that in order for cyclists to move safely across our cities they need to be separated and must have their own road system. One quick fix would be to isolate cyclists with barriers from the existing vehicular flow; merely marking the pavement in my view is not adequate and short-sighted. Once cyclists have been properly isolated then we can (a) opt to regulate them since now they are all equal machines before the law or (b) perhaps more appropriately, leave them completely to their own devices and they can self-regulate themselves.

That's a great idea... and most cyclists would LOVE if there were physically separate bikelanes down the side (or the middle) of every street... but are you as a driver willing to give up 6-8 feet of road space on every road? Probably not.

The fact is, we all have to share the roads. True, some cyclists don't play by all the rules (not all of us are scofflaws, you know...), but some drivers don't play by the rules either. Think about speeding on highways and stop signs... it's common knowledge that 100 km/h is the MINIMUM on 400 series highways, and stop signs are hardly ever "stopped" at by drivers.

Downtown, pedestrians and cyclists are a fact of life. You HAVE to share the PUBLIC roads with them.

One problem is that stop signs in many residential areas have been used as traffic calming (i.e. slow down car traffic) rather than traffic control devices. In many cases they should be yields or not exist at all.

I would never assert that all drivers respect the rules of the road, nor would I say that of cyclists. I'm just trying to figure it out for myself. If there's one thing for sure, I wish everyone would drive slower. I'm from Montreal, and I would say that I am an aggressive driver, but, I never fail to meet someone on the road each day, be it cyclist or driver who is more aggressive than me. I have made a huge effort to be a slower driver lately, and back off a little and I can't tell you how much it's made me see how dangerously others drive. I avoid the 401 as much as possible just because I don't feel safe driving 140 km and having some truck flashing it's lights behind me to move over. Toronto is addicted to speed

I'm hoping our traffic regulations evolve to better distinguish bikes from cars. There are things that should be allowed for bikes and not cars. I'm not looking to give bikes an edge over cars, just better reflect the inherent differences between the two.

Rolling stops were mentioned above, along with the valid observations that a lot of stop signs exist just to slow cars down.

One-way residential streets are a similar traffic feature. Many exist just to discourage excess through traffic. Enforcing that restriction on bicycles is silly. Bicycle traffic doesn't present the same safety threats or noise pollution that cars do. We should start formalizing that distinction: "One way - bicycles excepted" signs would alert drivers to potential oncoming bikes. On a quite 30 or 40KM side street it shouldn't be a problem.

In fact I can think of places where it would be good traffic management. Where Dundas East (with a bike path) crosses Kingston Rd, it changes into Dixon. Dixon is one way towards Kingston, so it's "No entry" to traffic coming along Dundas. This is clearly to stop traffic from short-cutting the intersection to the south, at Kinston Rd. and Queen, and clogging up narrow, tree-lined, gentrific Dixon.

If you're on a bike on Dundas, going to the beach, you have two choices. Take the very busy and fast moving Kingston Rd. down to Queen, or break the law and cross over to Dixon. The right decision is to cross over to Dixon. It's safer for the cyclist and less annoying for drivers on Kinston Rd. It should be explictly allowed.

If you're on a bike on Dundas, going to the beach, you have two choices. Take the very busy and fast moving Kingston Rd. down to Queen, or break the law and cross over to Dixon. The right decision is to cross over to Dixon. It's safer for the cyclist and less annoying for drivers on Kinston Rd. It should be explictly allowed.

I routinely do this on Dixon, and Gladstone, Palmerston, Baldwin, and Augusta Ave. I'm tempted to paint on my own little contra-flow bike lane.

Bikes are not pedestrians.

PED refers feet.

Pedestrians means those who are walking.

No 'If's',
No 'And's', and
No 'But's'.

Pedestrians means those who are walking.

No 'If's',
No 'And's', ands
or 'Unless'

I'm hoping our traffic regulations evolve to better distinguish bikes from cars. There are things that should be allowed for bikes and not cars. I'm not looking to give bikes an edge over cars, just better reflect the inherent differences between the two.

Rolling stops were mentioned above, along with the valid observations that a lot of stop signs exist just to slow cars down.

One-way residential streets are a similar traffic feature. Many exist just to discourage excess through traffic. Enforcing that restriction on bicycles is silly. Bicycle traffic doesn't present the same safety threats or noise pollution that cars do. We should start formalizing that distinction: "One way - bicycles excepted" signs would alert drivers to potential oncoming bikes. On a quite 30 or 40KM side street it shouldn't be a problem.

In fact I can think of places where it would be good traffic management. Where Dundas East (with a bike path) crosses Kingston Rd, it changes into Dixon. Dixon is one way towards Kingston, so it's "No entry" to traffic coming along Dundas. This is clearly to stop traffic from short-cutting the intersection to the south, at Kinston Rd. and Queen, and clogging up narrow, tree-lined, gentrific Dixon.

Couldn't agree more with pretty much all of this. If rules for cyclists were more in line with common sense instead of treating them like cars, I think everyone would be better off - cars, bikes and pedestrians.

...for cyclists to move safely across our cities they need to be separated and must have their own road system. One quick fix would be to isolate cyclists with barriers from the existing vehicular flow; merely marking the pavement in my view is not adequate and short-sighted...

I completely agree. It would prevent selfish motorists from parking in bike lanes. More importantly, I believe the would be perceived as a LOT safer and you would see fewer selfish riders on the sidewalks. In short, its a win for cyclists and pedestrians. A physically-separated bidirectional bikeway would take up the same space as bike lanes on each side of a road do now.

Last edited:

Back