Why wait for 5 years for a rail link to Pearson when Porter already has a free bus link from Union or a TTC rail link via 509 tram.

Yeah...dream world. It's still easier to get to the Island airport from the business district than to go to Pearson. Rail link or not.

And with the link only going from Union, it does nothing for the entire eastern and northern portion of the GTA who will keep finding the Island a lot more convenient.

And with the link only going from Union, it does nothing for the entire eastern and northern portion of the GTA who will keep finding the Island a lot more convenient.

What are you smoking to believe that it is easier to get to Bathurst and Queen's Quay from Scarborough, North York and beyond then to simply drive down the 401 to Pearson? Anywhere in the old City of Toronto, yes, but not from anywhere else.

For those of us who do not own a car, getting to Union Station (and the bus to the island airport) is relatively convenient as the subways and GO trains go there. Pearson, not so much.

$15 to $20 each way I believe.

That was the original plan with SNC....have you read/heard anything confirming that? Since the announcement that the Province is taking over the project I have heard everything from regular GO fares ($5.55 currently to Malton) to equal to the cost of airport limos (what is that $50/$60?)......the "truth" is likely somewheres in the middle(ish) but I don't think anyone knows ....or have you seen something more definitive?

What are you smoking to believe that it is easier to get to Bathurst and Queen's Quay from Scarborough, North York and beyond then to simply drive down the 401 to Pearson? Anywhere in the old City of Toronto, yes, but not from anywhere else.

Ever tried to drive to Pearson during rush hour from Eastern Scarborough or Pickering? The TTC can get you to the Island faster. And GO can do it in half the time.

Whenever I am flying to/from TO and to Porter served destinations, the convenience of the Island from Scarborough is a big motivator for me.

And if you're driving, the Island is still quicker to get to from Scarborough than Pearson (providing the DVP isn't acting up too much).

That was the original plan with SNC....have you read/heard anything confirming that? Since the announcement that the Province is taking over the project I have heard everything from regular GO fares ($5.55 currently to Malton) to equal to the cost of airport limos (what is that $50/$60?)......the "truth" is likely somewheres in the middle(ish) but I don't think anyone knows ....or have you seen something more definitive?

I was going off the old prices. No new info. But I can't imagine it'll be that different unless the province wants to start subsidizing travelers to/from the airport. And if that's the case, they might as well pour that money into improved GO service in the corridor and shuttle passengers to the airport that way.

I don't think they'll do that. I think the fare needs to be about the same as the airport express buses today (so just over $30 return fare?). I think it's going to be $30 for a round trip and $20 for a single direction. Maybe, lesser fares for those getting off earlier.

I was going off the old prices. No new info. But I can't imagine it'll be that different unless the province wants to start subsidizing travelers to/from the airport. And if that's the case, they might as well pour that money into improved GO service in the corridor and shuttle passengers to the airport that way.

I don't think they'll do that. I think the fare needs to be about the same as the airport express buses today (so just over $30 return fare?). I think it's going to be $30 for a round trip and $20 for a single direction. Maybe, lesser fares for those getting off earlier.

Thanks.....as I, and others, mentioned in the thread specifically about this project there is a chance (and one that I support) that they don't actually build the rail spur into the airport but use that money, instead, to revamp and extend the people mover north and south of the airport so that, in the north, it just connects to a transit hub at Malton (or other) GO station so that it really is just GO fares to Malton then a quick and free airport people mover/shuttle to your chosen terminal.....south of hte airport it would go to Eglinton/Renforth area and connect to the various LRT/BRT services planned by GO/TTC/MT. So for the same capital investment (+/-) you get a multi-line, multi-direction solution that serves more people cheaper! So your quoting a price got my attention a bit.

Porter has ordered 4 more planes with options for 6 more.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN0613388020100806

Delivery of the new aircraft are scheduled to begin in the second quarter of 2011, through the third quarter of 2012. Porter also said it raised an additional C$15 million ($14.7 million) in equity from existing shareholders. It said it would mainly use the proceeds for working capital and new aircraft purchases.

Service to New York will be increasing to 11 flights per day...

After finalizing approval for four additional slots at Newark Liberty International Airport, Porter Airlines will operate 11 daily roundtrip flights to Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport, beginning Sept. 20. The airline currently operates nine daily roundtrips.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...on-new-york-toronto-city-route-100346029.html

EDIT: Can anyone report on how the US departures lounge at YTZ is coming along? The current combined Canada-US lounge is starting to get pretty crowded at times.

Last edited:
I flew to Boston on Porter the weekend before last and the lounge seemed quite large (and with plenty of available seats)...are there two lounges? The one I waited in was quite big...I'd be impressed if they had another.

The lounge at YTZ that is in use now will eventually be for Canadian departures. Another lounge for US departures is under construction -- you would turn right after going through security to get to it and it would be on the other side of the building from the current lounge, near gates 1-4. (EDIT: Eventually, the US departure lounge will be behind the US preclearance wall).

Back