YTZ-YUL will be able to feed Air Canada (Jazz) flights out of Montreal into Atlantic Canada which could put pressure on Porter's planned Atlantic expansion plans.

Air Canada doesn't have enough slots to offer any serious competition to Porter outside of 1 or 2 routes. Porter will soon have 30 planes to Air Canada's 5 (and maybe 3-4 future Continental planes as well).

I think Air Canada will steal more passengers from itself than it will from Porter (some Porter passengers will switch for Aeroplan points and such), but I expect that a large percentage of Air Canada YTZ passengers will be ex-YYZ passengers (Air Canada and Westjet) looking to use a more convenient airport (including some YYZ-DCA, YYZ-LGA and such passengers).

In any event, this grows the airport which is good for ensuring it remains a going concern for at least long enough to pay for all the new infrastructure.

All the new infrastructure was built with private money (except the ferries). I know on my next trip to Europe (once AC and Continental start flying to ytz) I won't go through YYZ unless the flight is significantly cheaper.

It will be interesting to see 1) how many seats they put in the AC Q400s and 2) whether they extend the flights past YUL to places like YHZ or YQB in order to offer direct competition to Porter on a wider range of destinations.

If AC's YTZ-YUL service becomes successful and cuts into Porter's YUL loads, might Porter look at switching to YHU (St. Hubert)?

Seats were cut from Porter due to weight not any pitch issue was my understanding. That pitch improved was a happy result and was integrated into their branding of the airline as premium.

Regardless of why it was done, Porter has set the standard for YTZ at 70 seats. If the new AC Q400s are ex-Lynx/Frontier ones, as seems likely (unless maybe they got a really good deal on some out-of-warranty ex-SAS planes), they will probably come with 74 seats.

If they took out a row or two, it is easy to space out the remaining rows by an inch?

Will they have J seats? It might be worth putting in a lot of J seats, especially if they are planning to serve connecting flights in YUL, which would give them something that Porter doesn't have.

Not sure why City is doing this but..

Description: For: Review of Billy Bishop Toronto City Centre Airport Capacity Report

Issue date: October 8, 2010 Closing date: October 25, 2010
at 12:00 Noon

Buyer: Strugnell, Vicki Phone number: 416-397-5190
Email: vstrugn@toronto.ca Location: City Hall, 19th Floor West Tower
Client Division: Waterfront Secretariat

Non-refundable document fee:
$50.00 + 6.50 HST = $56.50

Scope of work:
SCOPE OF WORK

The purpose of this RFP is to select a qualified consultant to conduct a due diligence review of the Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport Capacity Report completed by Jacobs Consultancy dated February 2010 as required by the Waterfront Secretariat.

The Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport is owned and operated by the Toronto Port Authority, which was established under the Canada Marine Act as the successor to the Toronto Harbour Commission. The three owners of the airport lands, namely the former City of Toronto, the Toronto Harbour Commission (now the Toronto Port Authority), and the federal Ministry of Transport entered into a 50-year Tripartite Agreement in June of 1983. This agreement remains in effect today, and specifically prohibits additional runways or extensions to runways, turboprop or piston aircraft generating excessive noise, and jet operations (with the exception of medical evacuations, other emergency medical uses as required, and use during the Canadian National Exhibition air show.) As well, the agreement identifies restrictions based upon NEF contours.

The Tripartite Agreement specifically prohibits jet operations (with certain exceptions), and turboprop or piston aircraft generating excessive noise. As part of their analysis of the NEF constraints established in the Tripartite Agreement, the Jacobs Consultancy developed various noise scenarios, with changing mixes of aircraft types, day/night operations and volumes of non-scheduled service traffic general aviation, helicopters, etc. The conclusion reached from the study is that 202 scheduled commercial movements per day can be accommodated with the existing aircraft mix.

The work required on this project would be to prepare a due diligence review of the Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport Capacity Report completed by Jacobs Consultancy (dated February 2010), in terms of methodology, applicable data used for the study, and the study conclusions and recommendations and advise on whether the conclusion are consistent with the terms of the Tripartite Agreement.

Deliverables

• A work plan for completion of the due diligence review.
• A minimum of three meetings with City staff to discuss the due diligence review and final report.
• A draft report for review by City staff prior to completion of the final report.
• A report outlining the results of the due diligence review and analysis to be submitted to the City by December 15, 2010. Five paper copies and one electronic copy of the final report must be provided.

At a meeting I went to, there were a lot of complaints voiced about the data used in the study, how it was collected, etc.

I think Air Canada will steal more passengers from itself than it will from Porter (some Porter passengers will switch for Aeroplan points and such), but I expect that a large percentage of Air Canada YTZ passengers will be ex-YYZ passengers (Air Canada and Westjet) looking to use a more convenient airport (including some YYZ-DCA, YYZ-LGA and such passengers).

Porter has some sort of VIP points program as well for those who travel often, so i don't see too many people switching for the aeroplan points.

Also, why anyone would be happy about AC flying out of the island airport is beyond me. AC has terrible customer service and they couldn't care less about the service they provide to the passengers. I would have preferred West Jet.
On the other hand, Porter has built a cult following among many companies so i don't see them folding or running away.

At a meeting I went to, there were a lot of complaints voiced about the data used in the study, how it was collected, etc.

By the group that wants to close the airport? They would complain about anything if they thought it would help them. Heck, last year at the Board of Health they tried to convince the members there was a cancer cluster on the islands and waterfront caused by the airport! (which was refuted by the medical officer of health at the same meeting).

As signatories on the agreement, it is good they are making sure it is being followed, but I doubt a global consultancy is cooking the books. The planes are exceptionally quiet - sitting at Sugar Beach or HTO the small planes make much more noise than the Q400s.

Of course that was the group doing the complaining :). But perhaps they've raised enough of a fuss to get this new study done ... who knows.

I live right across from the airport. Take-offs and landings are loud, landings especially. With the increase in destinations, the noise has become more intrusive with increased frequency. However, the airport was here before me, and I knew there'd be noise. And I like the convenience of living close.

The Hamilton Spectator
Barbara Brown
Tue Oct 19 2010

Ornge you glad air ambulance is coming to Hamilton?

The company that provides air ambulance service in southern Ontario is moving to John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport and pulling up stakes at Toronto Island Airport.
Ornge and its unusual spelling, carries about 20,000 patients annually and operates from bases across the province. Tuesday, Ornge announced the opening next year of a Transport Medicine Centre of Excellence in Hamilton.

Work is expected to begin within months to outfit an existing hangar at Hamilton’s airport for transport medicine.

Since Ornge assumed responsibility for air ambulance service in Ontario in 2006, the organization has been looking to expand, reorganize and become more efficient in order to meet an increasing demand for its services, said a company spokesperson.

Ornge will continue to operate from its current location at Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport until the new site is completed. The company said employees were informed of the move last Friday, giving them at least six months’ notice of the relocation. Staffing levels will remain unchanged.

Richard Koroscil, president and CEO of John Munro Airport, said the relocation will mean 60 to 70 jobs coming to the city, including full-time and part-time paramedics, pilots of helicopters and fixed-wing aircraft and maintenance engineers.

“Hamilton’s airport gives them a lot more flexibility and also freedom,” said Koroscil, referring not just to more space, but less congestion in terms of airport traffic.

Koroscil said he’s encouraged to see another major tenant make the move from Toronto to Hamilton’s airport, which can offer tenants lower operating costs, complete airport infrastructure and “lots of capacity and capability to grow their business.”

He cited the recent example of DHL Express (Canada) Ltd., which last year moved its transborder air operations to John Munro, starting with five flights per week to Cincinnati, a major U.S. hub for DHL. Hamilton became the air service’s central Canadian distribution point.

Koroscil said Hamilton’s airport saw a 14 per cent increase in cargo business last year at a time when cargo business was shrinking at other airports.

The new facility will become the second Ornge Transport Medicine Centre of Excellence in Ontario. The first, which opened earlier this month in Thunder Bay, is equipped to handle all three types of medical transport: rotor wing, fixed wing and critical care land units, and also houses the Ornge Academy of Transport Medicine.

Porter is going to fly to Myrtle Beach again this winter, with twice the number of flights.

Porter is providing four weekly roundtrips, increased from two last year, between Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport and Myrtle Beach International Airport, beginning Feb. 17, through May 23. With flights on Mondays, Thursdays, Fridays and Sundays, the schedule is ideal for taking advantage of the winter/spring golf season. The initial week of service features flights on Monday and Thursday.

Connecting flights are available in Toronto for Thunder Bay, Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec City and Halifax. Reservations can be made immediately at www.flyporter.com or through travel agents, with one-way fares from Toronto starting at $179, plus fees and taxes.

EDIT: Also this: http://www.thesunnews.com/2010/11/04/1793573/porter-airlines-ups-flights-from.html
Porter Airlines will restart its seasonal route to Toronto in February 2011, making four trips between the airports each week. That's two more trips than its inaugural season earlier this year, when the airline flew 1,269 passengers to the area during March, April and May.

It looks like Porter is now consistently filling more than half of its available seats.
http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/November2010/03/c8529.html
TORONTO, Nov. 3 /CNW/ - Porter Airlines' passenger statistics for October 2010 produced a load factor of 56.3 per cent, based on 98.8 million ASMs (Available Seat Miles) and 55.7 million RPMs (Revenue Passenger Miles). This represents a 4.7 point load factor increase from 51.6 per cent in October 2009. ASMs grew 29.7 per cent from 76.2 million and RPMs increased 41.7 per cent from 39.3 million over the same period.

Last edited:
I came across a picture of one of the new ("pre-owned") Air Canada Q400s (operated by Sky Regional Airlines) that will be flying from YTZ to YUL in 2011. http://www.yyznews.com/

YYZDH8DSkyRegionalsv.jpg

Sky Regional DHC8-Q402 C-FSRW seen at 3-bay hangar at YYZ 06November. Photographer "anonymous"

EDIT: Photo has been replaced by another. Here is a different link: http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab20/bizjets101/AirCanadaQ400.jpg

Last edited:
I came across a picture of one of the new ("pre-owned") Air Canada Q400s (operated by Sky Regional Airlines) that will be flying from YTZ to YUL in 2011.

Thanks nfor that inside look.

It's really strange seeing an AC turboprop in anything other than Jazz colours.

Back