Anyone who has experienced how convenient taking Porter from the Island Airport is would agree that neither Downsview nor quick service to Pearson would be the same. You can literally show up 15 minutes before your flight leaves... it's ultra-convenient.

I couldn't agree more. I take Porter to Montreal every month and I take the 8:55 a.m. flight. I leave my condo (Adelaide/Church) at just after 8 a.m. by taxi and find that I'm still cooling my heels in the terminal because once again I'm early. Even with "blue 22" or whatever it's called from Union (endless talk, no action on its development) you can't even come close to that convenience.

Anyone who has experienced how convenient taking Porter from the Island Airport is would agree that neither Downsview nor quick service to Pearson would be the same.

I have taken Porter to Montreal and it was convenient. However, a non-stop rail link to Pearson's T1 would match the convenience of the Porter bus + ferry from Union. The only edge that the Island Airport would end up having is the fact the airport is virtually empty with no lines at security and no long walk to the gate. However, this lack of congestion at Toronto Island can only last as long as Porter doesn't increase flights and fill planes. If Porter adds Washington, Chicago, and New York it will not be as hassle free at the Island.

I wonder how things will change once Porter starts flying to the US, especially New York. One must pre-clear customs in Canada before flying to New York from Pearson. Will the same thing happen at the Island Airport? One has to wonder if the "friendly, quick security screening" at the Island Airport will cut mustard with the feds in the US. From what I have heard, security at the Island Airport seems to be a bit ....well.... lax.

When I flew AC Jazz out of the Island a couple of months before it was booted out security was really excessive. I really got the impression that the personnel were bored and had nothing better to do than do a full check of every passenger's bag with some frisking tossed in for good measure. Nice to see that things have changed.

Since Porter has no interline agreements at all the people checking in at the Island are incredibly unlikely to have connections and therefore the passengers going through security there are automatically low risk... they are only a threat to Porter, a small commuter. There are only a few ways one could connect to another airline in Montreal or Ottawa off a Porter flight without going out of security and the effort involved means most wouldn't do it.

I wonder how things will change once Porter starts flying to the US, especially New York. One must pre-clear customs in Canada before flying to New York from Pearson. Will the same thing happen at the Island Airport? One has to wonder if the "friendly, quick security screening" at the Island Airport will cut mustard with the feds in the US. From what I have heard, security at the Island Airport seems to be a bit ....well.... lax.

They could always just fly into an international terminal, instead of domestic ones lflights out of pearson do. Of course, Porter still doesn't hav any chance of getting landing slots at any of the 3 NYC airports, so it's really not a burning issue.

Well, actually....

Porter cleared for U.S. takeoff

RICK MADONIK/TORONTO STAR
Porter Airlines executive Robert Deluce stands atop the original control tower at Toronto City Airpot as a flight arrives at the terminal. Email story
Print
Choose text size
Report typo or correction Tag and save

Jun 20, 2007 03:32 PM
Chris Sorensen
Business Reporter

Porter Airlines has been given permission to begin flights to New York despite objections by Air Canada and its regional carrier Jazz that the upstart carrier has been handed a “virtual monopoly†at Toronto’s island airport.

The U.S. Department of Transportation today said that Porter can operate both scheduled and charter airline service to U.S. destinations, noting that Porter's application meets all necessary requirements under the U.S.-Canada air service agreement and “is in the public interest.â€

Porter CEO Robert Deluce immediately applauded the decision.

“Regular service to New York will begin later this year and not later than the early part of 2008,†he said in a statement. “This is great news for business and leisure travelers, for the city of Toronto and the downtown economy.â€

A Porter spokesperson did not immediately return calls for further comment. An Air Canada Jazz spokesperson could not immediately be reached.

Porter, which launched from Toronto’s downtown airport last fall with daily flights to Ottawa and later Montreal, had initially planned to begin flying to New York, via Newark, N.J., in early April, but its application became bogged down as Air Canada and several U.S. airlines complained to U.S. regulators about access to the City Centre Airport.

Deluce accused Air Canada of attempting to stir up controversy south of the border.

Air Canada had argued in filings that Porter has managed to negotiate a sweetheart deal with the airport’s operator, the Toronto Port Authority, which limits the number of take-off and landing slots available for competitors. The issue is still before a federal court.

But the U.S. transportation department noted in its decision that the port authority has never denied a U.S. carrier access to the airport, and that it granted an initial request by US Airways to operate from the facility. US Airways has since scrapped its plans to fly to the island.

Porter, which is hoping to appeal to time-starved business fliers who wish to avoid congestion at Toronto’s Pearson International Airport, ultimately plans to serve as many as nine U.S. destinations, including New York, Chicago, Boston, Washington, D.C., Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Cincinnati and Cleveland.

Interesting. I think EWR makes the most sense, followed by DET (also a Northwest hub) and MDW. Cleveland only if they could code-share with Continental (CLE is one of their hubs). Cincinnati is a big Delta hub, otherwise both Ohio cities aren't that big of markets.

It would only save time if there was customs pre-clearance. I wouldn't care for entering the US and then having to line up at customs there that much.

Who pays for Canadian Customs and Immigration if they set up at the Island? TPA? Porter? Or is this something paid through general federal taxes? (How are they paid at YYZ or elsewhere?)

U S A U S A U S A U S A U S A

If they are focusing on the business crowd, LGA seems to be the easiest airport to the main midtown busness district.
Even though EWR actually has real transit that reaches it.

LGA would require pre-clearance. WestJet flew to LGA (and was really inexpensive - I even took advantage of it) and left due to difficulty getting landing slots and terminal space.

Though transit wasn't that bad, a little slow, but doable. Both the Q33 to the 7 Line or the M60 though Harlem are great ways to enter New York.

Porter's prices have shot up in recent weeks. I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad sign of their financial health.

Though transit wasn't that bad, a little slow, but doable. Both the Q33 to the 7 Line or the M60 though Harlem are great ways to enter New York.

Yes, that M60 could take 45 minutes (usually going from LGA to 125st station in manhattan), too 45-120 minutes (going from 125th to LGA). Because the buses are suppose to come every 15 minutes, when one actually doesn't come for 30 minutes (which is not unusual), everybody tries to get on at every stop as the demand is backlogged. Which is why after 5 attempts, I just take a cab to LGA, and transit back from LGA.

LGA would require pre-clearance. WestJet flew to LGA (and was really inexpensive - I even took advantage of it) and left due to difficulty getting landing slots and terminal space.
rk.

I believe the airport is limited to 40 slots an hour, but on the other hand, larger jets can't use the airport due to its runway length. Also, some airlines that use it also warn of the usual delays. Its almost better to go to JFK and glide over the Van Wyck via the airtrain then take atleast an hour in a cab during rushhour.

Just flew in to TO with Porter. I'm really likin' this airline... must be the free Stellas. A free shuttle to Union is waiting there for you upon your arrival. Your check-in luggage is available for pick-up within a few minutes of your arrival in the terminal. Everything is quick and efficient... Porter is all about convenience. And the aerial view of the skyline with the LED-lit CN Tower is spectacular.

Back