If residents were really concerned about noises, then they would band together and try to restrict loud motorcycles that like to cruise in the middle of a summer night. Even 25 stories up, you can hear one clearly coming from blocks away.
I ride a 1969 Triumph T100S Tiger, see pics below from the recent Paris, ON vintage motorcycle rally, including yours' truly after unpacking and pitching my tent. I ride in groups of other vintage bikes, but I know exactly what you mean. It's those Harley and Jap bike knockoffs that roar from cafe to cafe...I hate them too.

Attachments

• 100_4254.jpg
    100_4254.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 209
  • 100_4263.jpg
    100_4263.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 197
  • 100_4272.jpg
    100_4272.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 202
  • 100_4274.jpg
    100_4274.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 189
  • 100_4276.jpg
    100_4276.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 190
  • 100_4277.jpg
    100_4277.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 191
  • 100_4285.jpg
    100_4285.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 186
  • 100_4308.jpg
    100_4308.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 190
  • 100_4317.jpg
    100_4317.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 209
  • 100_4318.jpg
    100_4318.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 194
LOL. My dog is actually scared of them (she was on the sidewalk when we walked by 4 harleys that were starting up. I think I enhaled large particles of something in the huge exhaust wind that was kicked-up - and they just laughed, as it must have been funny to see our reactions). I personally don't mind them, even the loud ones, as most riders (i see many during the day) don't cruise in high density residential areas late at night. But its those 1 or 2 rebel types that do it, and I can here them coming, and them going back. And my dog starts getting nervous in the apartment. Would like a jumbo jet to fly 20 meters over them when they are trying to sleep (to deal with a few, you gotta attack the group).

And again with the racist slurs.
Andrea, Jap-bike and for that matter Limey-bike, Brit-bike, Red-neck bike, Euro-bike, etc... are not racist slurs, but are commonly used expressions by bikers to describe the origins of their machines. If you hang about with bikers, you'll likely also hear names like rice-rockets, which again certainly sound racist, but the folks I've heard use the term certainly don't fit that bill, and usually seem to respect and envy the reliability of the Japanese machines. However, I can understand why my comment could be misconstrued, so I'll correct that to Japanese bike, and British bike, European (i.e. German, Italian, etc...) bike.

I think my issue is that I take race as too trivial a matter, so I appreciate the group steering me back towards a more PC outlook. I'll keep any unintended slurs or racial comments off my posts going forward.

FYI, JAP (not Japanese, stood for something else I believe) was also the name for one of the best motorcycle engine manufacturers of the pre-WW1 period.

I just flew Porter YTZ-YOW this afternoon on the 5:30 flight. I had an amazing view of Toronto, the sky clear all the way past Peterborough. I got to the check-in area by Union Station 45 minutes before the flight left, got to the airport itself 25 minutes before the departure time and still had time before boarding (security was very quick). The 97 bus from YOW was very convenient as well.

I must admit I feel a bit guilty, because I have always maintained that I would like to see the end of the island airport, the TPA and really don't like how TPA/Porter won subsidies related to the bridge deal. I still feel the same way.

I'm sure people are interested in the load - the plane was almost completely full, but not that surprised as it was a Friday afternoon.

I'll post pics once I get back.

I must admit I feel a bit guilty

They've caught you now!

Soon you'll be dreaming of how convenient a bridge would be to get to the airport, and contemplating the idea of anonymously contributing to the "defeat Adam Vaughan" fund.

;)

I must admit I feel a bit guilty, because I have always maintained that I would like to see the end of the island airport, the TPA and really don't like how TPA/Porter won subsidies related to the bridge deal. I still feel the same way.

A HSR system in the corridor would quickly change that. One trip to Ottawa or Montreal on a high speed train would have you advocating sending the island airport to the flames with unrestraned zeal in no time.

Yes, yes!

I'd like HSR much more than Porter! If only the governments subsidized VIA like they subsidize the TPA and Deluce.

And yes, I'd still like to see something much more useful than the airport for such an important part of the harbourfront. Maybe a St. Lawrence-type neighbourhood that then could be ruined by lousy Concord towers or elegant Clewes towers.

And I'm not going to join any anti-Vaughan group (Adam, that is, I still hate that particular suburb). I'm no big fan of Clubland (where many are from that other Vaughan), and made a big impression on me at the Jane's Walks.

Deluce is still a dick.

I think we will see it in our lifetimes. The population growth in Ontario will make it necessary in 50 years or probably less. Eventually building new airports to fly one hour and the ability of freeways to cope will hit a point where rail becomes necessity. The bad part is that implementing it later will be much more expensive since the land will become less and less available meaning expensive expropriation or tunnelling costs.

I just flew Porter YTZ-YOW this afternoon on the 5:30 flight. I had an amazing view of Toronto, the sky clear all the way past Peterborough. I got to the check-in area by Union Station 45 minutes before the flight left, got to the airport itself 25 minutes before the departure time and still had time before boarding (security was very quick). The 97 bus from YOW was very convenient as well.

I'm sure people are interested in the load - the plane was almost completely full, but not that surprised as it was a Friday afternoon.

I'll post pics once I get back.

Re. load factors - This week, I flew YTO-YUL on Wednesday, mid-afternoon (usually a light travel time of the day and week) and the plane was about 60% full, which was surprising. I flew YUL-YTO Thursday on the 4 pm flight and it was about 80% full, which is the busiest I have ever seen the Mtl-TO flights. When I landed and walked thru the terminal it was pretty jammed with people.
Robert Deluce was on my flight back from Montreal.

I understand that Porter is profitable this quarter and expected to do better in the next. This comes from a Port Authority staffer whom I've known long before they worked at The Port Authority.

Back