Faye Jordan has been on Ward’s Island for four years after spending 26 years on the waiting list for potential homebuyers. Out for a walk on Sunday, she said she couldn’t picture a bridge in the channel, funneling thousands of people through the narrow streets of her neighbourhood. “Look at this, how tranquil it is,” she said. “It will create chaos.”

Meanwhile in 1998….

Island residents are standing firm against what they see as the latest threat to their way of life. In the 1950s, they successfully fought a plan by the city to raze a neighborhood on the island and turn it into a park.

They should build a thousand bridges to the island….each bridge should end at the foot of every islanders house. Then use the ferries a potential commuter ferry service along the GTHA lakeshore. Probably won’t happen, but one can dream.

I didn't realize the islands were for only the residents that live there to decide on what is done. For Toronto to of allowed them this life for all these years is crazy. Islands for all should be the slogan.

So upon further reading, I get the sense that the federal govt will be the deciding factor on whether jets are brought to the table.

I think Toronto/GTA proper would benefit greatly from having a second airport for longer ranged USA/latam flights but I don't know if Billy Bishop is the place to do that. Who knows what the Federal Conservatives will do at Pickering.

I didn't realize the islands were for only the residents that live there to decide on what is done. For Toronto to of allowed them this life for all these years is crazy. Islands for all should be the slogan.

Urban Toronto had dozens of posters who agreed that people downtown should be deciding issues like bike lanes on Bloor, streetcar right-of-way on King, or removal of bike lanes from Jarvis without suburban interference. I.e. those travelling through the neighbourhood shouldn't have an over-riding say over those living in the neighbourhood.

Ward island residents having a veto on a bicycle highway through their neighbourhood is consistent with that opinion.

Of course, Urban Toronto also has had dozens of posters disappointed the city can't seem to jam sidewalks into some specific suburban streets due to resident opposition.

Back