A few articles from the past few weeks.. Deluce saying that Proter on track to make a profit and mulling over Toronto-NY flights.

Dec 4,2006 (CBC)-Porter Airlines on track to make profit: CEO

Can Porter Airlines, the privately owned carrier flying out of Toronto's island airport, survive on flights that are only half full?

It depends on whom you ask.

Some critics who battled the decision that allowed the airline to fly out of downtown Toronto have spent the past six weeks meticulously counting the number of passengers, trying to figure out whether the airline is making enough money to stay in the air.

Bill Freeman, a spokesman for the residents' group Community Air, says the planes aren't full enough for Porter to make money, while competition with Air Canada and WestJet has grown stiffer since Porter Airline's first flight.

But Robert Deluce, president and CEO of Porter Airlines, warns critics not to count on the airline's failure.

Independent observers put the ratio of filled seats on Porter planes at about half to two-thirds, while Deluce has remained tight-lipped about numbers of passengers.

However, he has hinted the planes don't even need to be half full for the flights to be profitable.

In fact, Deluce said, the company is on track to turning a profit in its first year.

"We're very pleased with where we are now, given the very short period of time we've actually been operating," Deluce said.

Porter will begin offering flights to Montreal next week.

Fledgling Porter mulls Toronto-N.Y. flight

Porter Airlines, whose flights from Toronto's downtown airport to Ottawa and, next month, to Montreal have sparked a holiday fare war, is "looking closely" at adding New York city as its third destination early in the new year, chief executive Robert Deluce said.

In what could prove to be a risky move for the month-old airline, Mr. Deluce said in an interview that Porter plans to add flights from its base at Toronto's island airport to Chicago or, preferably, New York by this spring.

"We get more calls about New York than any other destination," he said. "It's clearly a place that people would like to have access to from a downtown airport."

Porter's expansion strategy differs markedly from that of other upstarts such as WestJet Airlines Ltd., which stuck close to its home market in Western Canada for years before attempting an assault on busy U.S. destinations.

In fact, WestJet, the biggest airline success story in Canada over the past decade, was forced to scrap flights to New York last year because of an inability to secure access to more gates at the busy LaGuardia Airport. The routes have yet to be relaunched.

Mr. Deluce said his plans for the Big Apple include flights to both LaGuardia and Newark Liberty International Airport in neighbouring New Jersey, which he said is growing in popularity among travellers because of rail connections to Manhattan. Flights to Chicago would land at Midway International Airport.

Porter, which flew its first flight between Toronto's island airport and Ottawa in late October, is betting that business flyers will prefer to use Toronto's downtown airport instead of battling traffic to Pearson International Airport in nearby Mississauga.

While Mr. Deluce declined to reveal information about Porter's bookings, he said the airline's load factors -- an industry measure of how well an airline fills its planes -- are better than expected.

He also denied that a recent seat sale offering fares as low as $66 from Toronto to Ottawa or Montreal during the typically busy Christmas travel season was a sign the airline was having trouble attracting passengers. Air Canada was offering similarly priced fares between the same cities for December travel on its Web site yesterday.

"I think both WestJet and Air Canada are feeling the effects of Porter being in the marketplace," said Mr. Deluce, adding its holiday pricing was in response to the competition's pricing strategies. "We didn't go to $66 or $69 until the market moved in that direction."

Jacques Kavafian, an analyst with Research Capital, said last week that Porter's decision to offer a December seat sale isn't all that surprising given that most business travel tends to fall off during the holidays.

Porter, which promises "flying refined" in an era of rampant airline cost-cutting, managed to get off the ground despite complaints from local residents and Toronto politicians who argued against the further "commercialization" of Toronto's island airport.

About time. They made a huge mistake by starting up a week too late to get the Liberal convention traffic. I took the train home, and it was 16 cars, all sold out!

2007 seems to be the make or break year for Porter..

Dec 28 Globe and Mail - Porter Airlines is facing a steep climb

BRENT JANG

Globe and Mail Update

Donald Carty knows that for upstart Porter Airlines Inc. to succeed, it must make a name for itself on transborder routes to the United States from downtown Toronto.

Mr. Carty, Porter's chairman and a former chief executive officer at American Airlines Inc., believes that Toronto-based Porter will be able to achieve a breakthrough in 2007 by adding New York, Chicago and Boston to its network.

Porter launched Toronto-Ottawa service in October, then added the Toronto-Montreal route in December.

“We're selling convenience,†Mr. Carty said in an interview at a downtown Toronto hotel, near Porter's shuttle service to Toronto City Centre Airport.

Related to this article
Latest Comments
Start a conversation on this story
Follow this writer
Add BRENT JANG to my e-mail alerts
With the 2005 demise of Jetsgo Corp. and the 2006 shutdown of CanJet Airlines' scheduled service, Porter has emerged as the fledgling airline to watch, analysts say.

In contrast to Porter's downtown base, Air Canada and WestJet Airlines Ltd. have key hubs at Toronto's Pearson International Airport.

“We found a unique place to operate,†said Mr. Carty, who was recently named chief financial officer at Dell Inc., the largest computer maker in the world, but will remain as Porter's chairman.

He said Porter is on track to introduce service to the New York area, first to Newark Liberty International Airport this spring, and then to LaGuardia Airport, possibly later in 2007.

Porter's list of targeted destinations is based on the popularity of major markets within 925 kilometres of Toronto. After New York, Chicago and Boston, next on the list are Philadelphia and Washington.

Mr. Carty said it isn't set in stone that Porter will fly to five U.S. cities before focusing again on Canada, but that's the plan for now.

After Ottawa and Montreal, the three Canadian destinations on tap are: Thunder Bay, Ont., Quebec City and Windsor, Ont. Rounding out Porter's list of potential destinations — which could take until 2009 or beyond to add — are Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Detroit and the northern Ontario cities of Sudbury, Sault Ste. Marie and Timmins.

Porter currently runs four Bombardier Q400 planes, and has another six of the turboprops slated for delivery in 2007. If all goes smoothly, Porter may order 10 more 70-seat Q400s, boosting its fleet to 20 of the planes. Porter president Robert Deluce said there are about 220 employees on the airline's payroll now, and that the number of workers could rise to 500 in 2009.

So far, passenger loads have met expectations, he added. Load factors, or the proportion of available seats filled, have been as low as 10 per cent in off-peak hours, but often exceed 60 per cent and sometimes surpass 70 per cent during busy travel times in the morning and late afternoon, Mr. Deluce said.

Privately owned Porter is marketing itself as an upscale carrier, with leather seats on the aircraft and a business lounge at the airport.

Robert Kokonis, president of AirTrav Inc., an airline and travel management consulting firm, said Porter faces a steep climb. “History hasn't been kind to airline startups,†he said.

If Porter manages to fill an average of 20 seats a flight during 2007, or a load factor of 28.5 per cent, the airline should be able to survive into 2008, Mr. Kokonis said.

But there are wild cards, he cautioned, noting that if the economy slows considerably and if oil prices surge, then Porter will encounter trouble financially, especially if it is forced to maintain seat sales to attract travellers. As well, the Porter brand is unknown in U.S. markets, so relatively few Americans will be customers at first, Mr. Kokonis said.

Mr. Carty said Porter has a few tricks left up its sleeve, including a customer loyalty program in 2007.

A residents group called Community Air is opposed to expansion at the island airport. Toronto Mayor David Miller also has been battling Porter, but Mr. Carty said he isn't fazed by the complaints.

“If the Community Air people are right and if the Mayor is right and no one wants a downtown airport, then our airplanes will be empty and there won't be an airport down here. But if we're right and the people of Toronto really want the airport, then our business will be successful. It will be determined by the economics,†Mr. Carty said.

Porter is on the verge of overtaking Vancouver-based Harmony Airways to become Canada's third-largest scheduled carrier serving major markets.

Mr. Carty couldn't resist poking fun at Harmony, which is owned by wealthy entrepreneur David Ho. “He reminds me of the story of how do you make a small fortune in the airline business? Start with a large one,†Mr. Carty joked, to laughter from Mr. Deluce.

But even Mr. Carty admits that the bragging rights for third place don't mean much, especially considering there are larger charter operations such as Toronto-based Skyservice Airlines Inc., as well as regional airlines that oversee many more scheduled destinations, including Bearskin Airlines of Thunder Bay, Ont.

He said he's a realist, so he envisages a lengthy battle to woo passengers away from Air Canada, WestJet and various U.S. carriers.

Porter Airlines

I am concerned about noise from Porter Airlines. The plane noise is not too bad from inside my condo but I have found it loud when I am outside by the lake. One day I went to the harbourfront for lunch and sat outside on the edge of the water (in front of the Queen's Quay Terminal Building.) I was with a friend and found that the noise from Porter's plane was so loud during taxiing that it was actually difficult to understand what my friend was saying. (I realize that the noise level can be less or more depending on the direction of the wind.) Over the course of 1 hour, I heard two planes taxiing so I heard the noise for about 2-3 minutes only. Not too bad at all. But, Porter currently operates only 4 planes.

My concern is that if/when Porter expands to 20 planes (or more, as Delucci has said his goal is) then the noise will occur far more frequently. If they expand for example to 30 planes, you'd be hearing loud taxiing noises for 15 to 23 minutes of that hour. I think that would be just awful.

I would just like to ask the members of this board (whom I have lots of respect for) what they'd say about my concerns? Am I over-reacting or do I have a point. I welcome all views. I am thinking of selling my condo because of Porter and would like to make sure I make a decision based on a balanced view.

I know some of you will say that the noise from TTC streetcars or the Gardiner are just as loud so why make a fuss over Porter? My response would be that I do acknowledge those noises but you cannot hear them when you are at the water's edge. So, those street noises are really a non-issue for me.

Thanks ahead of time for all responses, including those that are critical of my concerns.

Give it six months as I do wonder how long Porter will last. I have heard rumours that it might not last the summer, but I take those with a grain of salt. Did you notice it when Jazz was flying to Ottawa from YTZ?

That said, I'm giving them a try in early July to Ottawa. I'm curious about things like passenger load and service.

You live next to a commercial airport. Over 400,000 passengers moved through the Island airport in the 1980s when the City Express commuter airline was based at the airport. Porter will never reach those numbers.

I don't live there, but I note that a lot of people do, and there does not seem to be a stampede to get out of Dodge. In fact the rumour is that sales are about to start in a new condo building right on the waterfront, if you can believe it!

Give it six months as I do wonder how long Porter will last. I have heard rumours that it might not last the summer, but I take those with a grain of salt. Did you notice it when Jazz was flying to Ottawa from YTZ?

I've heard those same rumours. But my gut feel is that based on the quality of the investors and Delucci's good track record (along with Don Carty) that this thing isn't going to close so soon. Plus, I think that they are doing a great job in marketing and running the airline (unfortunately!)

I've lived on the harbourfront for 9 years now and I never noticed the Jazz flights. The reason could be that I just bought a unit that has a direct south view and hence a clear view of the airport and I am also directly in front of the flight path.

Thanks for your comments.

I currently live in Harbour Square and I am concerned about noise from Porter Airlines.
Well no one forced you to live at the end of a runway.

Regardless of how old Porter is, by chosing to live next to a busy airport, you also took on the risk of plane traffic increasing at some point in the future.

Regardless of how old Porter is, by chosing to live next to a busy airport, you also took on the risk of plane traffic increasing at some point in the future.

I know, I am not asking for sympathy.

I live under the flight path of Pearson and get massive planes flying over my house during the day. (some at night, but not big planes due to restrictions) What may seem noisy now will eventually become nothing. I barely notice planes flying overhead now, however someone visiting points them out all the time.

Can one hear the planes over the steady white noise of the Gardiner?

Can one hear the planes over the steady white noise of the Gardiner?

I am facing directly south so I cannot hear the Gardiner or Queen's Quay. But I suspect that the white noise from the Gardiner would to some extent eliminate the noise from the planes.

Also, when you are on the water's edge, you cannot hear the Gardiner.

I don't think that's a fair statement.
For years the island airport was mostly only used for small private crafts, helicopters and the like. David Miller probably won the election based on his pledge of stopping the building of a bridge to the island to halt expansion plus even at the federal level we were promised by the Conservatives that Toronto would gain control over the Port Authority's plans to expand the airport. I think it's fair to say that in the last 5+ years we who opposed the island airport (both existing and expansion plans) felt reasonably assured that in good time the airport would eventually cease to exist. That has not happened yet in fact thanks to clever lawyering it has only become busier. Given political promises, grassroots efforts to stop expansion and a majority of Torontonians who oppose the airport, I think it's fair to say that no one "choose" to live at the end of a runway when they bought a property at Harbourfront/Queens Quay area.

Back