Who is the typical Toronto-QC passenger anyways? I thought most of QC's economy was government related, and I've never personally met anyone who has to commute regularly to QC for work. Is it just recreational?

Who is the typical Toronto-QC passenger anyways? I thought most of QC's economy was government related, and I've never personally met anyone who has to commute regularly to QC for work. Is it just recreational?

I believe much of the traffic is recreational...which is why I don't think a non-stop service is essential.

I've had to go there a couple of times since Porter has started up, but their weekend-only service has meant at least one leg of the journey has been on Westjet in each case.

Don't forget that they offer connection service, so the increased flights serve not only Toronto-Quebec passengers, but also New York-Quebec, Chicago-Quebec, etc.

I wonder how AC will overcome the restrictions on aircraft movements. Porter will already be pushing it by the time Jazz even starts up. On top of that, where will they get the terminal space? Porter owns the new terminal. They'd have to be mighty big-hearted to let Jazz set up there.

I don't see this happening. I think this is a ploy to make the TPA look bad and add public pressure on them in the hopes of eventually shutting Porter down. When they get turned down by the TPA because of limited slots or if they get in and have to pay high prices to buy/lease terminal space (now that it's in demand), they'll start complaining about how the TPA is subsidizing Porter, and how the rules favour Porter, etc.

I'm pretty sure that they have indicated that some terminal space would be available to other airlines besides Porter. The new terminal will have 10 gates.

Take-off and landing slots are going to be the issue since there is an overall limit on flights (although we don't seem to know just what that is).

I believe its 120 air movements a day for commercial traffic. Once Porter has its 20 aircraft in service, it'll be pushing pretty close to that.

I believe its 120 air movements a day for commercial traffic. Once Porter has its 20 aircraft in service, it'll be pushing pretty close to that.

It is possible that the tripartite agreement saw fit to ensure competition at the airport by ensuring all slot bidders get something. At least, I would hope it various levels of government at the time would have had this foresight; they often do -- it's part of the Red Tape everybody complains about.

The old terminal will be used for training and office space. Currently the office space at Porter is abysmal.

As for space for other airlines at the new terminal - There will be 10 gates in this terminal and currently they're doing fine with 5 and a makeshift 6th in extreme circumstances. So 10 gates probably aren't necessary in the near future, which means they could potentially lease out 1 or 2 gates if they felt they could make a lot from it.

One issue will be, how would AC passengers interact with the Porter infrastructure (ie. the lounge) since the set up will not be conducive to segmenting.

It'd be such a weird situation. So Porter would run out gates and terminal space to a competitor? Why would they do that? And if they do it, presumably they would have to charge rent that would make it attractive enough for Jazz to operate out of YTZ. I don't see how they could do that without hurting their own business.

The only other way that I can think for Jazz to get on the island would be to buy Trans-Capital's hangars.

I think it would have to make economic sense obviously. They just wouldn't do it if they thought it would hurt their business. So we're talking AC taking on a huge rent/lease. That in itself could deter AC from moving in anyways. So I guess Porter would highball them with a price and see if AC took the bait.

What about an American commuter airline, though? It would be ideal for Continental to feed its Cleveland hub.

Last few Montreal-Toronto flights I've been on have been packed. I've seen people at the ticket counter try to buy tickets for several flights being told they're sold out. The airport lounge is also often packed. This is good for business, but the small personal intimate feeling of Porter is evaporating. Still my favourite airline though.

In other news, Porter wins the award for best regional airline in North America from Skytrax Research.

http://www.worldairlineawards.com/Awards_2009/ResultsFull-09.htm

Back