What about an American commuter airline, though? It would be ideal for Continental to feed its Cleveland hub.

I believe that, under the Canada-US Air agreement, the Port Authority/Porter must allow U.S. airlines access to the airport if Porter wants to have access to U.S. destinations. I don't know if there are rules that say they must give access to Canadian airlines.

^ That, however, does nothing for Air Canada which wants to be able to compete on the TOM triangle routes with Porter.

Now that Miller is leaving, perhaps they should propose building a bridge with stimulus funding. Baird would be jumping up and down in eagerness to sign it.

Or Continental could just code-share with Porter to feed Cleveland.

Not likely, as Continental is joining Star Alliance next month. If AC really wanted to get rid of Porter, they'd have Jazz flights running to YUL/YOW, and AC codeshares on Continental metal running to various US destinations. But of course there's not enough terminal space or landing slots for that level of service so it's probably a moot point.

While Air Canada thinks about setting up shop at the island, Porter just keeps on adding destinations...

Porter eyes flights from a second New York airport

The airline intends to add extra capacity on that city pair in the next 12 months, Porter president and CEO Robert Deluce said during a CIBC investors conference on 23 September......After the airline fills out its Newark schedule, "there's going to be at least one other New York airport we access" he says. Facilities under consideration include LaGuardia and Westchester County airport, roughly 30 miles (48.3 km) northeast of New York City in White Plains, New York.

I note that Air Canada (with Air Georgian Beechcraft) flies three times a day to Westchester County (HPN) for $284 Tango Plus. I expect they wouldn't be too happy with Porter dropping 70-seaters onto the route.

While the low capacity on the route from Air Canada could indicate low demand, Air Canada has been proven wrong in the past about the demand models they seem to be using (see: Toronto Island-Ottawa).

I believe US Air used to fly YTZ-SYR-HPN around 1999 or 2000. Not sure how it worked out or how long it lasted.

EDIT: It's too bad this airport is closed.

Last edited:
^ I knew this already, but I was never sure if it was publicly known, or just internal. I guess it's a lot farther down the pipe now. Passengers would often ask if there were plans to fly to LGA. EWR doesn't seem to be a favourite for a lot of people.

Not likely, as Continental is joining Star Alliance next month. If AC really wanted to get rid of Porter, they'd have Jazz flights running to YUL/YOW, and AC codeshares on Continental metal running to various US destinations. But of course there's not enough terminal space or landing slots for that level of service so it's probably a moot point.

Forget about Continental joining Star. That could play to AC's advantage by giving AC a codeshare partner on Porter's US routes. You are right though on the ops restrictions any Porter competitor would face and about the real fight for AC being on YUL/YOW. That being said, every little bit that damages Porter would help AC. I wouldn't put it past them to try and get in there somehow.

They would buy it and give the investors/owners a strong non-compete.

With what cash? They're have serious cash flow issues right now. And I doubt the owners would sell without a seriously hefty price now that Porter is up and running and doing quite well. In a few months Porter will have finished up it's whole launch phase having placed a large order for Q400s and having exercised all its options. That's quite an accomplishment for any airline in about 4 years. Here on in, they are license to print money for the owners. And that's not small feat when it comes to an airline.

I suspect LGA will be a tough one for Porter to secure landing slots or gates, even with the current reduced demand. I understand that there are now also some restrictions on the number of flights allowed to operate into it.

HPN should be "doable" in terms of airport capacity and is actually quite convenient either for visiting people/businesses in the Westchester area or for getting to Manhattan. It's about $15 by taxi to the main commuter line and then 40 minutes into Grand Central. I've used the route a few times when there is bad weather at the three main NYC airports. Given its location and the low traffic levels it has proven remarkably reliable when the others are subject to lengthy ground delays.

There seems to be a psychological block for passengers about using Westchester as an entry point to NYC. You certainly don't get the skyline views and the suburban taxi experience is far, far removed from the NYC yellow cab or airport limo. If you have to wait for a train there isn't even a cafe within reasonable distance of the train station. Makes Burlington look like a major transport interchange.

Porter is adding more flights to New York and Boston

Porter Airlines gaining altitude in New York and Boston

New York flights via Newark Liberty International Airport increase to eight daily roundtrips from seven, while Boston moves to four daily roundtrips from three. Weekend service also increases in New York.

"These frequency increases will be of particular benefit for business travellers as well as provide more options for passengers connecting with other Porter destinations," said Robert Deluce, president and CEO of Porter Airlines. "New York passenger volume is up notably from the same time last year and Boston is proving to be our best U.S. start-up route. These new schedules will help meet growing demand."

The improved New York schedule provides an added midday departure from both directions. The Boston route now includes an earlier morning Boston departure and later evening flight leaving Toronto. Porter has been flying to New York since March 2008, and started service to Boston earlier this month.

Can anyone report on the status of the new lounge in Ottawa? Is it open yet? I'm flying there tomorrow.

I suspect LGA will be a tough one for Porter to secure landing slots or gates, even with the current reduced demand. I understand that there are now also some restrictions on the number of flights allowed to operate into it.

HPN should be "doable" in terms of airport capacity and is actually quite convenient either for visiting people/businesses in the Westchester area or for getting to Manhattan. It's about $15 by taxi to the main commuter line and then 40 minutes into Grand Central. I've used the route a few times when there is bad weather at the three main NYC airports. Given its location and the low traffic levels it has proven remarkably reliable when the others are subject to lengthy ground delays.

There seems to be a psychological block for passengers about using Westchester as an entry point to NYC. You certainly don't get the skyline views and the suburban taxi experience is far, far removed from the NYC yellow cab or airport limo. If you have to wait for a train there isn't even a cafe within reasonable distance of the train station. Makes Burlington look like a major transport interchange.

Westjet was able to get into LGA a couple years back, and the tri-state airport restrictions the FAA wanted to bring in were never enacted.

The couple times I took the flight, it was pretty delayed, lined up for takeoff, which was the biggest issue that caused Westjet to dump the flight.

If Porter can get into the Marine Air Terminal now that would be another story...

Westjet was able to get into LGA a couple years back, and the tri-state airport restrictions the FAA wanted to bring in were never enacted.

The couple times I took the flight, it was pretty delayed, lined up for takeoff, which was the biggest issue that caused Westjet to dump the flight.

If Porter can get into the Marine Air Terminal now that would be another story...

My understanding on recent LGA restrictions is not the most solid, i.e. what I was told by an AA cabin crew in a TO bar, but it seems to tie in with the ease of getting through LGA recently.

The problems in LGA are both terminal and runway. The longest delays I have had have been sitting on aprons, taxiways, lay-bys, etc. and Marine Terminal would not help here. Even if one can land, if one does not have dedicated gates - which AC did not for a while at Newark, your flight is out-of-luck. Believe it or not, it once took me three days to get from YYZ to NYC.

Porter is returning to Mont Tremblant for another season, this time with connections available to/from Thunder Bay and the US Porter cities:

Porter Airlines is taking to the slopes for a third season in Mont Tremblant, Que., with as many as eight flights weekly, up from five last winter. Flights are just over an hour between Toronto City Centre Airport and Mont Tremblant International Airport and available Wednesday through Sunday, beginning Dec. 19 and running to April 4. One-way fares start at $99, plus fees and taxes. Flights are available from Toronto, Thunder Bay, Boston, Chicago and New York.

Highlights of the new schedule, with up to eight weekly seasonal flights, include:

· December – 3 weekly roundtrip flights
· January to February – 5 weekly roundtrip flights
· February to April 4 – 8 weekly roundtrip flights

EDIT: It also appears that the new 3670 sq. ft. lounge is open in Ottawa.

Last edited:
More airlines at Toronto island airport considered

The Toronto Port Authority says it is considering proposals to have more airlines fly in and out of the city's island airport.

"The TPA is in the process of reviewing the potential for additional scheduled commercial airline carriers and additional commercial flight services at the [island airport]," the port authority said in a Friday release.

The TPA said it has "received inquiries from interested parties" about adding flight services.

The agency, which owns the airport, said it would ensure any proposals would conform to provincial standards that limit the number of daily flights.

Currently, Porter Airlines is the airport's sole commercial airline tenant. Porter began flying between Toronto and Ottawa in the fall of 2006 and has since expanded its roster of flight paths to Thunder Bay, Ont., Montreal, Mont Tremblant, Que., Quebec City, Halifax, New York and Chicago.

The airline has already begun an expansion of the airport that would outfit it with a second passenger lounge, 10 bridged aircraft gates, and Canadian and U.S. customs checkpoints by spring 2010.

Island community groups have been critical of any proposed expansion at the airport, saying it would increase air traffic in the area and contribute to noise and pollution.

"This initiative is not an 'expansion' of the [airport], but rather a way of potentially maximizing an asset for the people of Toronto," said Mark McQueen, chairman of the TPA board of directors, in a statement.

"The [airport] is an attractive gateway to Toronto and our process will determine if the TPA can capitalize on these expressions of interest over the coming months."

The port authority's statement comes 10 days after it announced a proposed underwater tunnel linking the mainland to the airport wouldn't be built because it would not be completed fast enough to qualify for federal stimulus infrastructure funds.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2009/10/16/toronto-island-airport-airlines816.html

Back