News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Well, it's positive to identify what should be done to improve the grid, even it becomes a long list that might take a century to accomplish. All that new infrastructure might create opportunities for new development and the improved grid would better connect the neighbourhoods around Black Creek with the southern part of the city which is doing better.

Last edited:
Now that GO owns the Weston Sub to the 401, its more possible for them to control scheduling. If DMUs or EMUs are adopted by GO and run at a reasonable freuqency along the rail corridor, then Building a park and ride garage at Weston Road and the 401 would allow much traffic on Black Creek Drive to be diverted to GO. Another option would be to extend the Downtown Relief Line to Weston Road along the Weston Sub. Black Creek drive can then be completely eliminated and redeveloped/naturalized. I'm sure lots of commuters would get their shopping done after work as well to avoid the height of rush hour on the 400s.

Last edited:
I like it! It would be good if the trail could be wide enough (4m) to allow adequate room for faster trail users to pass slower ones in the middle. Hopefully, this path could be connected directly to the railpath following the east side of Weston Sub with a slight diversion at the diamond.

As is the case with foresty trails, you can expect plenty of mud, debris, and water damage. If you're biking through the area with speed, there is a residential street called Culford Rd which runs parallel nearby. It just needs to be connected somehow to Eglinton.

I find it puzzling that the Black Creek ROW *hasn't* been made more non-motor-user friendly, esp. in the "valley" sections--unless they're concerned about thugs and hoodlums lurking in the bushes or something...

It's still illegal to bike or walk on this street north of Eglinton, and I can't imagine why you would want to any more than you'd want to walk on Hwy 401.

Not so much the road proper, as the ROW, i.e. to carve out some kind of bikeway, or something, through the Black Creek valley...

It's still illegal to bike or walk on this street north of Eglinton, and I can't imagine why you would want to any more than you'd want to walk on Hwy 401.

Not exactly the same. It would be nice to be able to bike between Eglinton and Lawrence. It's a pretty nice route if they managed to make it make it more bicycles- and pedestrian-friendly. Better yet, since the average speed of vehicles rarely goes about 60 kmh anyway, opening it up to pedestrians and bicycles would not negatively affect motorists' commutes. It's win-win.

Now that GO owns the Weston Sub to the 401, its more possible for them to control scheduling. If DMUs or EMUs are adopted by GO and run at a reasonable freuqency along the rail corridor, then Building a park and ride garage at Weston Road and the 401 would allow much traffic on Black Creek Drive to be diverted to GO.

The rather large parking garage at Pearson Terminal 1 holds about 9000 vehicles. This is about 9 trains worth of people; or about 45 minutes worth of service at 5 minute headways.

I'm pretty sure the streets around the parking garage would be extremely congested trying to move that many vehicles. Private vehicles and roads are a lousy way to load a frequent train. It would take dozens of Terminal 1 sized parking garages and several road widenings spread over a significant area to make good use of a frequent train.

I bet this will happen.. When pigs fly!
pigsfly.gif

Oh, how I love anonymous websites with no "about us" section, claiming some sort of credibility.

It's not a pretty or well organized site, but the information is there. Look to the bottom of each page "Content copyright 2010. The Toronto Party Transportation Committee. All rights reserved." The Contact Us page is also pretty useful to determine identity.

If the Highway 400 was built down what is now Black Creek Drive, would it become a battlefield to tear it down. Like the Gardiner Expressway (east end) today, would it end up like the Sheridan Expressway in the Bronx, New York City and become a theatre of war..

See this link to an article on a Plan to Remove Bronx Expressway Gains Traction from the New York Times.

Back