News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

It just occurred to me that we're talking about Gerrard and Carlaw, right? (Not what is now Gerrard Square at Gerrard and Pape)

I love hearing about what retailers used to be in the area. Not surprising CD was there. But I had no idea Knob Hill Farms was there back in the day. I always refer to it as the old Towers plaza, because of this undated photo floating around the internet:

Towers.jpg

Attachments

• Towers.jpg
    Towers.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 2,677
It just occurred to me that we're talking about Gerrard and Carlaw, right? (Not what is now Gerrard Square at Gerrard and Pape)

I love hearing about what retailers used to be in the area. Not surprising CD was there. But I had no idea Knob Hill Farms was there back in the day. I always refer to it as the old Towers plaza, because of this undated photo floating around the internet:

View attachment 103449

Good to know. My experience with the plaza is 1990s onwards.

View attachment 103449
Nice MGB behind the Ford pick-up. It's noteworthy how small full-size pick up trucks were back then.

We lived near there in the 80s. I don't recall a Knob Hill there. There was a Food City and, below it, Towers. I think the Drug City was inside the Towers. There definitely was a CD, in the location where there is now a massage supply store at the eastern end. Between those, at least one hairdressing salon and nothing else worth recalling. The gas station came in the 90s.

I think the gas station came in a little bit later than the 1990s. I only know this area from 2002-3 or so onwards, and I remember it being built.

The Towers was below the Food City? That makes sense. The building does extend pretty significantly southwards at a lower grade.

ETA: "little bit later", not "little but later"

Last edited:
I think the gas station came in a little but later than the 1990s. I only know this area from 2002-3 or so onwards, and I remember it being built.

The Towers was below the Food City? That makes sense. The building does extend pretty significantly southwards at a lower grade.

The Towers and Food City together became a 2-level Knob Hill with a giant elevator in which you could take shopping carts up and down.

When Knob Hill went under, Loblaws took 5? of the properties, this was one, and turned into the current No Frills

The Towers and Food City together became a 2-level Knob Hill with a giant elevator in which you could take shopping carts up and down.

When Knob Hill went under, Loblaws took 5? of the properties, this was one, and turned into the current No Frills

I haven't spent a lot of time at that No Frills, but it doesn't have a second level, right?

I haven't spent a lot of time at that No Frills, but it doesn't have a second level, right?

I don't believe I've been in it at all, but I wouldn't have thought so.

Though I'm not aware of what's being done w/the lower level then; could have been repurposed as the loading/storage area......

Looking at Google streetview, there is signage on the Carlaw facade suggesting that part of it is used for loading and storage, while part of it appears to be leased to services like Dixon Hall, etc.

In any event, the whole site should be redeveloped with something more urban and pedestrian friendly.

Back