News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

What kind of upsets me is that all these cool stores r in malls. For example, Juicy couture, le creuset, Ben Sherman, true religion, Abercrombie, j crew. I would like it if they opened places on bloor, then the whole bloor strip
becomes a great shopping destination for all types of shoppers. Michigan ave is like that. Even top shop is opening a place there, along with filenes basement and Walgreens drugstore.. So people can buy anything they want there. For us we have eaton's then queen west then bloor. Furthermore u need a taxi to get from one to the other. It's not fluid where one neighborhood opens up to the other. 5 th ave was like that from what I noticed too.

Ben Sherman is on West Queen West. True, all the other ones you've mentioned are in malls but that's where the space is right now. I LOVE Ben Sherman but I don't think it belongs on Bloor anyway. Porsche Design, Victorinox, Brooks Brothers (Flatiron Shop) are all on Bloor. Topshop has more to do with the Bay but I think they will open a Bloor store at some point, or at least a Yonge and Dundas store. I am hoping for more street front stores though.

I remember walking in manhattan and seeing a huge lineup in front of abercrombie. It was cool. It creates a buzz and brings more people to the neighborhood. Hopefully they can push bloor further west and further east. The exhibit and 1 bloor might help bring in more retailers. That way the area can get cleaned up a little too.

Also the article says that bloor has an extremely low vacancy rate. Which tells us that even if some retailer wants to move in there's no place for the to go. That's not good.

Also the article says that bloor has an extremely low vacancy rate. Which tells us that even if some retailer wants to move in there's no place for the to go. That's not good.

That's why they're all going to Yorkdale.

By the way, any idea what's taking over the old Fabricland store? I had thought at one point that part of it would be TopShop Bloor Street, but it makes no sense for them to open one on Bloor before The Bay Queen Street.

But that's the issue vatche, Yorkdale has the space and Bloor doesn't.
I'd like to see Yonge cleaned up on the southern parts of Bloor. By renovating and getting rid of some of the dilapidated buildings it would provide the larger space required for these retailers.

Then they definitely have to work on bloor then. Pushing it east and west. They can also use the little streets coming off of bloor. London has done it so has Paris and Chicago.

Speaking of cleaning up, I think Stollery's needs to go. I know it's an institution, but them leaving can free up space for up to three stores. And 1 Bloor East will make more room, too.

Then they definitely have to work on bloor then. Pushing it east and west. They can also use the little streets coming off of bloor. London has done it so has Paris and Chicago.

It has already started happening but it can't happen overnight.
A few retail analysts i have spoken to have hinted that this area will be much different within 5 years.

The fact that a Brooks Brothers is apparently opening at Bloor and Bedford tells me this process is already happening. That would have been inconceivable only five years ago.

Re: Yorkdale compared to Yorkdale, Yorkdale is considered a high-end mall and is becoming even more high-end so for retailers who want to enter the market, Yorkville simply doesn't have the necessary space for everyone. Yorkdale makes the most sense as an alternative. That's why I completely agree that Stollery's has to go and free up some more space - it doesn't fit the area any more anyway. I think 1 Bloor will definitely encourage more high-end retail development east of Yonge.

Yonge-Cumberland Terrace is another piece of crap that HAS to go. It is DEE-pressing! Looks like it will be a condo soon anyway.

I wanted to say that they r totally 2 different experiences. I'll take Shopping on a nice summer day on bloor then going someplace for lunch over shopping at yorkdale any time. Besides every big respectable ity has that special street where all the high end stores are!! Newberry in Boston, , bond in London , oak st in chicago, st honore in Paris .

I wanted to say that they r totally 2 different experiences. I'll take Shopping on a nice summer day on bloor then going someplace for lunch over shopping at yorkdale any time. Besides every big respectable ity has that special street where all the high end stores are!! Newberry in Boston, , bond in London , oak st in chicago, st honore in Paris .

I'm totally with you on that. And I think that if every retailer could set up on Bloor they would, but truly the space just isn't there yet, so until some of the legacy stores move out it will be a fairly gradual process. Yorkdale provides a profitable alternative - but, true, walking outside on Bloor is WAY more enjoyable.

Back