News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I can certainly see this stadium expanded and/or upgraded sometime in the future. I'm quite confident that Toronto can produce way more than 20,000 soccer fans for Toronto FC, given Toronto's experience with the recent World Cup. It appears that there will be plenty of room at Exhibition Place for stadium expansion.

As for the Argos, I don't see them moving to the soccer stadium in the foreseeable future. Their decision to stay at SkyDome appears to be their vote of confidence to the upgrades that Rogers has brought to the stadium. Remember that the renovations to SkyDome are still not complete, so the Argos are probably wanting to stick around to see how much better the place will turn out to be.

Given all the different cultural/national backgrounds of people living in Toronto I'm so surprised that we can't seem to put together a decent soccer team.

One thing this stadium has going for it is the location. The Toronto skyline as a backdrop will be awsome, especially when Trump, Sapphire, and all of cityplace is complete.

Given all the different cultural/national backgrounds of people living in Toronto I'm so surprised that we can't seem to put together a decent soccer team.

Yeah, but they'd only be popular if they were called Team Italy.

I can't wait for Toronto FC's debut. Even though the stadium isn't what we all want, it's still a servicable and decent looking stadium for the amount of money being spent on it. Also I'm sure its upgradable for future purposes. It's all good in my books.

Yeah, but they'd only be popular if they were called Team Italy.

It's possible. MLSE is already on its way to getting a Team Italy with the Raptors' No. 1 draft pick and its new GM.

New aerial shot of the stadium...

VkQjAhnn.jpg

Too bad that we can't have the same stadium they're building in Dnipropetrovsk, Ukraine for 40 million euros. Capacity 32,000

stad01.jpg

stad012.jpg

stad014.jpg

It's not really fair to try to compare the costs of construction in Ontario vs other jurisdictions. Sure it looks like a nice project in Dnipropetrovsk, but you have to consider the costs of construction. The OBC has some of the highest technical building standards in the world (even more so after January 1, 2007 when the new objective based format as well as the new energy efficiency measures come into effect).

Also the costs of labour, especially unionized labour on ICI projects throughout the GTA is much higher than it would be in most other areas of the world - especially the Ukraine.

Therefore it is pretty unreasonable to compare project costs in other jurisdictions with Toronto. Really it's like apples and oranges - it's not fair to compare the costs of any construction projects in other jurisdictions with those in the GTA.

I think pretty much the only thing that separates our stadium from many of the other soccer stadiums being built in other countries is the lack of a landmark roof (which I've mentioned on previous occasions).

There's no hurry for the soccer stadium to get a roof. The Olympic stadiums in Berlin and Athens got new roofs years after they were built.

Yes, the good old Olympiastadion in Berlin has proven itself quite amenable to renovation, and remains in very good shape. After all, it was built for a thousand-year Reich...

I like roofs, but for a night game, I think it would be nice to sit in the grandstands and enjoy the view.

Back