News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

That pub on the south west corner of King and Bathurst was crawling with jovial young men in red and white outfits on Saturday morning. I headed back downtown to see the opera broadcast and they marched south, singing their heads off.

Figured I would cross-post these from the Telus Tower thread:

skyline_from_BMO_1.jpg

-

skyline_from_BMO_2.jpg

The stadium and the city looked gorgeous on tv during the Sunday game against L.A., especially when the lights on the tower went on. Very impressive.

Originally Posted on 05-11-2006 by billonlogan
The team won't last 3 seasons before MLS&E bails and the City is left hanging. Don't say I didnt warn you!

Originally Posted on 05-11-2006 by bogtrotter
TO is a hockey town. Hockey is Canada- that's it. Jays are a solid second for TO and the raptors are a distant third. If TO got an NFL team- that would be a close second for the Jays. I'll watch the raptors but I could care less about them if they're not in the thick of things. A TO soccer team? hmm- I like soccer, I personally played it for several years in highschool and university, but quite honestly it's not going to fly in this town as a serious sport.

Oh how wrong you were!

And, on a side note, it's very easy to rent the place out.

I can organize a kickabout at the Stadium if any UT members are interested.

It's still possible TFC may not last three years. Too early to call that one false.

The glove has been dropped.

Gentlemen, start placing your wagers!

I'm more than willing to bet $100,000 that Toronto FC will start the 2010 season, unless the league completely folds (an unlikely scenario), but that wouldn't have anything to do with whether or not the city supports the team. As things currently stand I am convinced that there's no chance of this team folding within the next three years. If anything, I can see new teams in Montreal or Vancouver being added to the league come 2010. MLSE's exclusivity rights actually run out that year.

Globe

Link to article

Beckham's turf war

LARRY MILLSON

From Thursday's Globe and Mail

August 8, 2007 at 8:35 PM EDT

David Beckham harshly criticized FieldTurf yesterday, and suggested the artificial surface played a role in his decision to sit out last Sunday's game against Toronto FC at BMO Field in Toronto.

The Los Angeles Galaxy star made the comments in Washington, where he hopes to make his Major League Soccer debut against DC United at RFK Stadium tonight. RFK has natural grass, and there are indications that Beckham, who is nursing a sore left ankle, will play as a result.

"As a professional athlete, you can't play a game like soccer on that sort of field," Beckham said, referring to FieldTurf, which is in use at four MLS stadiums. "What it does to your body as a soccer player, you're in bits for three days after that."

Last month, Beckham told The Globe and Mail's Stephen Brunt that the BMO surface wouldn't be a factor in his decision to play when the Galaxy came to Toronto. His comments yesterday, however, suggest the surface was an obstacle.

"Every game, every team should have grass, without a doubt," Beckham said. "You can't ask any athlete to perform at a high level on the FieldTurf."

When asked what he would change about the MLS, the Galaxy star said: "I don't know whether I am being too controversial, but I think the fact that there are four or five teams with FieldTurf."

Asked whether the natural grass at RFK Stadium would play a role in his decision to play, he replied:

"I think it's a huge factor that it is on grass instead of FieldTurf because on FieldTurf, playing with my ankle the way it is, it's not right at the moment, it would be dangerous. But with grass, it's a lot more positive for me to play on this. We'll see. If it's not right, it's not right."

Last weekend, Beckham's Galaxy teammate, Landon Donovan, said the BMO Field surface "sucks."

"It's kind of a shame because it's a gorgeous stadium in a beautiful city," Donovan said. "I don't know why they decided to cut corners [at BMO Field ] but I'm not happy about it … maybe they'll change it one day."

Later, Galaxy coach Frank Yallop apologized for Donovan's comments.

A report given just before the final two games of the FIFA under-20 World Cup, held at six Canadian cities last month, showed that there was little difference in the injury rate between the games played on natural grass and artificial turf.

In fact, the injury rate was slightly lower for the games played on artificial surfaces.

Toronto FC striker Danny Dichio, who has a strained hip flexor, would not blame the artificial turf at BMO Field.

"It's a new turf and it's got a lot more give in it, so I wouldn't use it as an excuse," he said.

It's still possible TFC may not last three years. Too early to call that one false.

14,000 season tickets and a three year waiting list.

Everyone around me will renew next year.

They'll be around for a VERY VERY long time.

I certainly hope and think they'll be around, but no one can say beyond a shadow of a doubt what's going to happen to this team in 2+ years.

Admittedly they definitely sold more than I thought. Terrific that they're selling so well, however I also think it was expected that the first season with a new team and stadium they were going to do well. BUT I'm still yet to be convinced that the MLS will be embraced longterm here. As I also mentioned before, the true test will be if they still hold the same popularity five years from now.

Back