News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I posted this in the GO Construction thread but if could also be put here or the bypass thread. No idea what it's about so guess we'll have to wait until tomorrow.
o6d5Gyq.jpg

~$32MM of federal money for 6 transit projects in Brampton.....expanding the Sandalwood bus facility.....replacing 20 buses....buying 2 (I think) more articulated buses for Zum.....expanding the Bovaird Zum down Airport (sounds like to Malton) and 2 others i did not catch (or were not mentioned).

The transit facility and Bovaird/airport Zum get the bulk of this money. $12.4MM for Sandalwood facility, $9.6MM for Zum Airport Rd transit corridor

Last edited:
Press Release

Brampton

Acquisition of 3 articulated buses to meet ridership demand

$2,100,000

January 1, 2017

Brampton

Acquisition of Automated Vehicle Monitoring System (AVM)

$1,261,000

January 1, 2017

Brampton

Acquisition of 20 replacement buses

$6,100,000

January 1, 2017

Brampton

Sandalwood Facility maintenance expansion

$12,450,000

January 1, 2017

Brampton

Implementation of Züm Airport Road rapid transit corridor

$9,550,000

January 1, 2017

Brampton

Expansion and replacement of transit amenities

$1,000,000

January 1, 2017

The whole investment is $64M ..... the feds are matching a CofB funding contribution. Somehow the province manages the whole thing.

- Paul

I'm not sure that in current political climate CofB wants to take credit for spending the other 50%.... and I'm not sure what the Provincial vs local deal really is.....but in theory the federal infrastructure fund is a commitment to match local funding.

- Paul

Brampton has approved the purchase of 10 electric buses and 4 charging stations as part of an electric bus trial. SEE LINK

Running on the 23 Sandalwood and 26 Mount Pleasant.

Brampton Transit 2017 Service Plan is out:

• 6 James Potter - extended to Mount Pleasant Village (north side of GO station)
  • 27 Robert Parkinson - new route from Mount Pleasant Village to new growth area to the north
  • 58 Financial - extended to Lionhead Golf Club Rd
  • 60 Mississauga Rd - extended to Meadowvale GO
  • 104 Chinguacousy Express - new peak express service, every 10-15 min
501 integration with Spadina Subway extension - options:
  1. Existing routing
  2. 501 to Vaughan Metropolitan Centre / 501A to York University
  3. 501 to Vaughan Metropolitan Centre / 501A eliminated
505 Airport Rd extension - updated options:
  1. Bramalea GO via Steeles Ave
  2. Malton GO
  3. Pearson Terminal 1
  4. Viscount Station
Full document here - http://www.brampton.ca/EN/residents...ts/Documents/BramptonTransit_PICBoardsWeb.pdf

It's interesting to see Züm will continue to serve York University in 2/3 of the options. Looks to me like the fare integration discussion isn't going well. There's even this interesting but discerning tidbit:

"Passengers on 501 have option to transfer to Subway at VMC to access campus, but extra fare may be required"

After a pretty impressive growth in ridership (9%) in 2016 as compared to 2015, it looks like this may be continuing into 2017. Ridership in January was up 15% over January 2016 and February was 11% higher than the previous year (with one less day in the month).

I went to the open house today. The deal with the 501/501A is that Brampton Transit doesn't want to annoy the 3,000 riders that go to and from York University - a large segment of its ridership. Option 1 (501 and 501A serving the ring road) has the most costs to operate (combination of distance and 407 tolls), but it's the golden goose. The 501 via Highway 7 gets to pick up some of the riders that would otherwise take YRT/Viva. It's ridiculous that the fare structure for trips to York U on the subway extension haven't been figured out yet.

York U isn't as concerned about getting all the buses off campus as it was, but it still wants to reclaim York Commons. That's why BT plans to use the ring road, along with with some YRT and TTC routes. That guarantees the one-seat ride, as well as no additional fares.

Not on the boards are the schedule changes. Expect more scheduled buses on 501, 502, and elsewhere in the fall.

Last edited:
I went to the open house today. The deal with the 501/501A is that Brampton Transit doesn't want to annoy the 3,000 riders that go to and from York University - a large segment of its ridership. Option 1 (501 and 501A serving the ring road) has the most costs to operate (combination of distance and 407 tolls), but it's the golden goose. The 501 via Highway 7 gets to pick up some of the riders that would otherwise take YRT/Viva. It's ridiculous that the fare structure for trips to York U on the subway extension haven't been figured out yet.

York U isn't as concerned about getting all the buses off campus as it was, but it still wants to reclaim York Commons. That's why BT plans to use the ring road, along with with some YRT and TTC routes. That guarantees the one-seat ride, as well as no additional fares.

Went to the open house today as well. One thing to note is that 501A would not be stopping at Pioneer Village or Highway 407 station. This means connections with the 407 GO buses will be lost.... :confused: (However, according to BT staff, some GO bus trips may continue to enter York University, but no words on how many). Connections with YRT routes will be maintained, as all YRT routes that end at Pioneer Village will also serve the campus.

Agreed on the point about fare integration, can't believe they haven't figured it out yet, or the fact that it may not happen at all. And if 501 does continue to run between VMC and York U, it would be in direct competition with the Spadina Subway... In fact, without fare integration, I can see riders preferring to take 501 over the subway, because of the free transfer and similar travel time - it's non-stop via 407, and you don't have to go underground and transfer... The thought that ridership on a brand new subway would be undermined by a parallel bus route seems crazy, yet here we are...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Just as a point of clarification, the 501 has always used the ring road since its inception.

I cannot recall if construction started first, or the 501 did, but the proper ZUM stop was built on the ring road.

. In fact, without fare integration, I can see riders preferring to take 501 over the subway, because of the free transfer and similar travel time - it's non-stop via 407, and you don't have to go underground and transfer...

The 501 does not use the 407....the 501A does.....but even if the 501 did use 407 it is not clear to me how that would be the useful route from VMC to York U....would you not just go down Jane?

I am most interested in the discussion about the 505 being re-routed down Airport...was their any indication which way they are leaning on the southern terminus of that route?

Back