News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I think it's great that Brampton Transit has a pretty good direct airport service. In fact, it's better than Mississauga's route 7 at many service times (every 30 minutes Saturdays vs 45 min on MT 7). The transfer from BT 115 to TTC 192 is a nice alternative route to the subway.

MT's route 7 operated at 60 minute frequency all day Saturday until a few years ago, when the midday frequency was increased to the current 30 minutes. The Saturday service was never 45 minutes.

I think you confusing with it's Sunday service, which operated every 45 minutes until last year (I think) it was shortened (no more service to Woodbine Centre) and the frequency increased to 35 minutes as a result of the reduced running time (the frequency has since been reduced to ~40 minutes all day). To this day, the 7's Saturday service is still less frequent than its Sunday service outside of midday.

Honestly, I think airport service should be 24/7 service. Monday to Friday is not good enough. 107 and 130 needs to be 24/7. I think that is more important than frequency. But of course, 24/7 airport routes are not going to be very useful all by themselves. MT ridership has grown a lot in the past 10 years, I think it has reached the point where it support all night service. Brampton will too, maybe within a decade if the ridership continues to grow (and if MT implements 24 hour service then it will make a lot easier for Brampton to have 24 hour service too).

MT's route 7 operated at 60 minute frequency all day Saturday until a few years ago, when the midday frequency was increased to the current 30 minutes. The Saturday service was never 45 minutes.

I think you confusing with it's Sunday service, which operated every 45 minutes until last year (I think) it was shortened (no more service to Woodbine Centre) and the frequency increased to 35 minutes as a result of the reduced running time (the frequency has since been reduced to ~40 minutes all day). To this day, the 7's Saturday service is still less frequent than its Sunday service outside of midday.

Honestly, I think airport service should be 24/7 service. Monday to Friday is not good enough. 107 and 130 needs to be 24/7. I think that is more important than frequency. But of course, 24/7 airport routes are not going to be very useful all by themselves. MT ridership has grown a lot in the past 10 years, I think it has reached the point where it support all night service. Brampton will too, maybe within a decade if the ridership continues to grow (and if MT implements 24 hour service then it will make a lot easier for Brampton to have 24 hour service too).

7 ran every 60 on Sat until the year they used Sat schedule for the Christmas Holiday week.

Went before council at the first meeting in Jan and bitch how stupid it was for people trying to get to work during the week as well people trying to get to/from Sq One using Sat Schedule. Never happen again. I stated then like I have since 2002 that service should be 7/24 with 15 minute headway. Next board change for 7 saw 30 minutes on Sat and Sun. It has now creep backup to 45 minutes and the wrong way because of 107. Having the largest airport in Canada in your backyard, Mississauga forgets about it for transit.

Haven't heard when MT budget is to presented to council, but some 24hr service was to be in it.

I recommended back in 2002 that 1, 19, 3, 26, 48, 5 as first phase of 24hr routes follow by 61, 23, 39, 42 and 11 as 2nd phase. Service would be 30 or 60 minutes based on the route. Even the routes seeing 60 minutes would still pushing it, but has to happen regardless.

I used BT's 115 from the airport for the first time this past Sunday....just figured it would be easier to have my ride pick me up at BCC than schlep down to the terminal on a sunday night and it gave me a chance to try it out.

I should have checked the schedule better but did not realize it was only an hourly service on Sundays and had just missed a bus so it was a bit of a wait....other than that it was a great service. What I noticed was that, both, TTC and MT had much more frequent service (saw a ton of red buses and orange ones before the tri-colour BT bus arrived).

Probably will use it again going to and from the airport in the future. It does seem a bit strange with the hourly service on Sundays, though, don't a lot of people end their vacations on Sundays?

And so it begins:

Brampton’s budget squeeze could mean big transit cuts

Facing a potential 6.5 per cent tax increase, City of Brampton staff have proposed a number of deep cuts and fee increases to offset a dramatic hike in the city’s portion of residents’ 2014 property bill.

The proposed transit cuts, which would eliminate $15.5 million from the budget, include reducing service on weekends and off-hours, delaying the installation of bus service in new developments, decreasing the frequency on certain routes, and a 25-cent fare hike.

http://metronews.ca/news/toronto/839632/bramptons-budget-squeeze-could-mean-big-transit-cuts/

What the ???? are they thinking?!?!?!!?

Hopefully they won't delay opening the 505, as well as Steeles West and Queen West!

$3.75 is very shocking!!! I also heard that YRT's will increase to an even more shocking $4.00! Is this rumour true?

I gotta admit that 30-minute service on some arterials are not really warranted at all. In comparison to the southern neighbour, Rathburn and Derry have nice load of passengers on Sundays despite the 40 to 45-minute service.

Keeping the density low makes transit use more expensive and less frequent. Another reason for the lack of a desire for basement apartments, there will be more demand for transit. They can't have that in Brampton.

You are saying that Brampton is keeping density low in order to sabotage its own transit system and its own budget? Dude, wow.

What the ???? are they thinking?!?!?!!?

Hopefully they won't delay opening the 505, as well as Steeles West and Queen West!

$3.75 is very shocking!!! I also heard that YRT's will increase to an even more shocking $4.00! Is this rumour true?

I gotta admit that 30-minute service on some arterials are not really warranted at all. In comparison to the southern neighbour, Rathburn and Derry have nice load of passengers on Sundays despite the 40 to 45-minute service.

$4 was discussed in the YRT tread. It's no rumour, York Regional council already approved it.

And yeah, 30 minute Sunday/Holiday service on all arterials seems very aggressive for Brampton or Mississauga. Sunday/Holiday service is very expensive because the drivers have to be paid higher.

Do industrial routes like 14 Torbram and 30 Airport really need 30 minute Sunday/holiday frequency? I don't think so. Those two routes are interlined too, so I'm guessing demand is extremely low. Few people on the buses and few cars on the road. Doesn't seems like it's worth paying 1.5+ times the wage for that.

I just realized ShonTron might have posted the same article before me, but the Star is behind paywall now so it's hard to tell.

Id rather they raised their fares to $4 than cut the frequency of grid routes lower than 30 minutes during any day of the week. I am also ok with them cutting frequency or eliminating non-grid routes that are not well used.

I don't think that reducing the Sunday/holiday frequencies of 14 Torbram and/or 30 Airport to 40 or 45 minutes is going to have a noticeable impact on the intergrity of Brampton Transit's grid network, at least not any more than the complete lack of dedicated, bidrectional routes for Rutherford Rd S and West Dr does.

And, certainly, taking a few buses out of the industrial parks on Sundays and holidays wouldn't harm Brampton Transit's ridership as much as $4 fares would.

concrete pads at bus stops

I just wanted to share an email exchange I had with Brampton Transit. Was very pleased with their response:

These two bus stops lack concrete walkways (or platforms) that connect to the side walk. Here's the first location I noticed and here's the second one, which is located at Williams Parkway and Main Street.

The challenge with both locations is that the ground is uneven and muddy. I'm an able-bodied person so it's not a challenge for me but I do worry about senior citizens. When I got off at Main and Williams to catch a GO Bus back to Toronto on Wednesday, an elderly gentleman with a cane got off ahead of me and had to walk over mud and grass to get to the sidewalk.

Do you know who I could speak to and find out what the schedule is for adding concrete to these two stops? Does Brampton Transit have a prioritization list for completing this work? Is there a way for citizens to highlight to Brampton Transit or the responsibility City department stops that should receive attention?

And here's the response I received:

Thank you for forwarding your comments and request for concrete pads at these two bus stops in Brampton. Brampton Transit has an annual program where we are able to install concrete pads at approximately 50 locations every year.

Transit staff have arranged with other city staff to have a concrete pad installed at the stop located on the north side of William Parkway, west of Main Street before the end of this year. We are hopeful that this work will be completed within the next 2-3 weeks.

Regarding the stop located on the east side of Mcckay Street, north of Manorcrest, providing that there are no hindrances to the installation of the pad (underground utilities, grade issues, etc.) transit staff will have a concrete pad installed at this location for the Spring of 2014.

We greatly appreciate your feedback. Please let us know is you have any additional questions or concerns.

Regards,

Doug Rieger
Manager, Service Development
Brampton Transit

Its great to see Brampton Transit provide great service, if only city hall could get their heads out of the sand, stop paying each other off, and support the LRT.

New monthly ridership record - 1,898,337 in October 2013. This is almost exactly the same as the TTC's daily ridership - 1,805,077 on October 25, 2013.
Still, this is more than double the 848,528 in October 2005, more than doubling in 8 years.

Back