8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Eug

Member Bio
Reaction score
How does broadband internet access usually get implemented in new builds these days?

I'm not sure if this is accurate, but I seem to recall that the initial descriptions of the Cityplace buildings had Ethernet to all units at 10 Mbps with broadband included. Was that implemented when they actually built it? Or is my memory just incorrect?

Are a lot of buildings now going to FTTB, but with most internet access still a la carte with the usual ISPs and the usual broadband plans?

P.S. I'm on FTTN in my residential neighbourhood of detached homes. This 25 Mbps down 7 up service should keep me satisfied for years.

Wikipedia: FTTx

Just moved into a new building; we had to arrange whatever we wanted for internet/tv. No pre-install. I think that Maple Leaf Square was offering something, if I remember correctly from early promo material.

Fibre optics at city place was implemented during the construction phase. Telus has been investing in CP for a long time. It seems to be the only area in the GTA with fibre installed. I've heard that fibre is installed outside in the countryside. They've (government?) been trying to expand internet so everyone has access. Since GTA already has broadband, they placed the newer technology in places without internet. Hence you could get faster internet if you lived in the countryside. I think eventually they might upgrade the older regions of Ontario with better broadband technologies, but it might be a long time. They're going to put those in new developments first.

I've read that they will add super high speeds at the new areas such as the Donland areas and East Bay Front area. They expect to charge $60/unit for connection to recoup their cost which will be added to maintainable fees.

The other builders seem slow at catching up with using high speed internet as a selling point.

There wasn't any cap before, but it seems they've introduced several packages starting in July.

High speed light $38 DL up to 6Mbps UL up to 5Mbps Limit 75GB
High Speed $50 DL up to 25 Mbps UL up to 5Mbps Limit 200GB
High Speed Turbo $100 DL up to 100Mbps UL up to 5Mbps Limit 300GB (I've read someone mention it will be unlimited even though they specify 300GB)

Previous customers before May 18, 2011 pay $60 for Turbo. I guess CP still has the best deal then. You won't be forced to pay $60 and have a choice of lower speeds or choose other internet companies.

Last edited:

Back