News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
I am starting a thread on the Broadview Eastern Flood Protection Project as it is really quite separate from Lower Don work. The WT FARM Committee discusses it in their June 6, 2024 agenda with this illustration. From: https://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/sit...dit_Risk_Management_Committee-June-6-2024.pdf

1717777933953.png

and

1717777974072.png

and

1717778064446.png

Instead of adding more ramps to and from the DVP, removing the ramps would just moved all the cars to Dundas. The 505 will be more impacted with the long queue of cars trying to heed up the DVP.

The city is doing everything possible to make travels from west to east impossible with a car.

Instead of adding more ramps to and from the DVP, removing the ramps would just moved all the cars to Dundas. The 505 will be more impacted with the long queue of cars trying to heed up the DVP.

The city is doing everything possible to make travels from west to east impossible with a car.
honestly i see the on ramp is reconfigured. they should add an off ramp too. pull some more vehicles off lakeshore

If the ramp is there, the land can’t be flood proofed. What do you suggest be done?

If the ramp is there, the land can’t be flood proofed. What do you suggest be done?
I don't think that's specifically true. Especially since the various drawings show some geometric adjustments ramp that don't reflect how it is built today.

I suspect that the ramp will be regraded to a higher level to form part of the flood protection berm, cross over the top of it and then drop in elevation to meet the DVP before it crosses under Eastern northbound.

Dan

Which ramp is being removed? I see the plan seems to show the west-to-south loop ramp being reconfigured and normalized, probably allowing for westbound left-turns onto the ramp for those travelling westbound. Is the north-to-west off-ramp the "Eastern Avenue - DVP Ramp" being removed?

I don't think that's specifically true. Especially since the various drawings show some geometric adjustments ramp that don't reflect how it is built today.

I suspect that the ramp will be regraded to a higher level to form part of the flood protection berm, cross over the top of it and then drop in elevation to meet the DVP before it crosses under Eastern northbound.

Dan
Having squinted at the source PDF I see your point Dan. Maybe the difficulty here is that WT is only being asked for approval to conduct works for an initial phase, with ramp reinstatement / replacement in a later one. I think it would have been helpful for that to have been explicitly set out in the “remove” bullet though, if that is indeed the intention.

Unfortunately it is difficult to fully trust what WT drawings and renderings present - look how long the Harbour Lead rail line appeared in them until it was finally clear that it would be removed during the Gardiner stub removal/LSBE reconfiguration..

It may be helpful to also look at the info on Gardiner and QQE

Having squinted at the source PDF I see your point Dan. Maybe the difficulty here is that WT is only being asked for approval to conduct works for an initial phase, with ramp reinstatement / replacement in a later one. I think it would have been helpful for that to have been explicitly set out in the “remove” bullet though, if that is indeed the intention.

Unfortunately it is difficult to fully trust what WT drawings and renderings present - look how long the Harbour Lead rail line appeared in them until it was finally clear that it would be removed during the Gardiner stub removal/LSBE reconfiguration..
Taking the bullet points at face value, I see the confusion. They list the removal of the ramp but don't say anything about it's reinstatement.

The problem is that the drawings show that there will be an on-ramp on a slightly different alignment to today, and with a reconfigured Eastern Avenue. This indicates that once the project is complete that there will be a ramp there - but the accompanying text doesn't indicate that.

Thus in this case, the bulleted list can't be taken as complete. The drawings will be done to show (an approximation of) the final result of the project. The omission of the reinstatement of the ramp is just that, an omission on the presentation, and nothing more.

Dan

Back