News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Has anyone heard any news on this EA?

I don't see any future meetings or next steps on the City's webpage for this:

Has anyone heard any news on this EA?

I don't see any future meetings or next steps on the City's webpage for this:

If you really want to know why not ask the person listed on the web-page you referenced?

Tracy Manolakakis
Manager, Public Consultation Unit
Telephone: 416-392-2990
Email: Tracy.Manolakakis@toronto.ca

If/when you find out, YOU could let US know!

A little update in the 30th March Executive Committee East Harbour Transit Oriented Communities Proposal

e. the City and Cadillac Fairview (through its financial contribution) will each be responsible for funding fifty per cent of costs associated with the road portion of the Broadview Avenue Extension from Eastern Avenue to the Metrolinx rail embankment;

The cost for this segment of the Broadview Avenue Extension is estimated at $9.0 million based on schematic design (i.e. 10% design). A streetcar in the centre of the Right of Way will be protected for and implemented when the service is needed. Funding for this streetcar portion will be secured in a future budget cycle.

Received via email:

The City of Toronto is launching consultation for the Broadview Avenue Extension Environmental Assessment (EA).

The comment period is June 6, 2022– June 24, 2022.

Comments may be submitted by phone, email or through the on-line survey.

Visit the Broadview Extension EA webpage for study details, opportunities for feedback and engagement, and presentation material.

The Public Notice is attached.

toronto.ca/BroadviewExtension

Received via email:

In relation to the above, the presentation deck isn't up yet.

However, info on an in-person consultation date is (we're doing those again!) plus a virtual one; along with a link to the survey.

1654607672742.png

From here: https://www.toronto.ca/community-pe...ent/broadview-avenue-extension-have-your-say/

Survey here: https://s.cotsurvey.chkmkt.com/?e=275336&h=8AF04F8EC17B6E3&l=en

So looking at the survey, I'm extracting images we may not have seen and/or offering comment.

The first part shows you the proposed ROWs for Broadview and for the new E-W street w/in the site (we've seen these) and asks for the standard vote of support vs not support etc.

I voted 'not support for the Broadview portion to oppose the vehicle lay-bys which create a 37M ROW which I think is needlessly large. I supported the smaller E-W street as its ROW is 24M

Next the survey moves on to look at one change to the Eastern Avenue/DVP Ramp:

1654608338475.png

This is certainly an improvement over existing, but my challenge here is that I know this is part of a larger reorganization of that entire set up, along w/Richmond/Adelaide and I want to see the overall design
and how it works together to comment intelligently.

This is the interim concept for Broadview from Queen to Eastern:

1654608494544.png

Not a fan whatsoever of the Broadview from Eastern to Queen segment. That's going to be a complete traffic disaster which is going to result in terrible travel times for streetcars. The sb direction gives a dedicated lane at the intersection for streetcars but it doesn't even look long enough to fit an entire streetcar.. why bother? It'd be better off left as it is today. Definitely get rid of the right turn merge lane southbound onto Eastern, add a southbound dedicated streetcar lane approaching Eastern, and narrow the lanes to modern standard widths, but I would otherwise leave it as is.

I don't hate the Richmond / Adelaide ramp realignment, mainly because it allows for westbound access to the DVP from Eastern, which is a key missing movement right now.

Laybys are necessary on Broadview as people will inevitably be trying to do curbside drop offs at the station. The road won't function at all otherwise as people will be blocking traffic to perform drop offs without them.

I'd be supportive of reducing them to more strategic drop offs with wider tree planting areas on parts of the street instead of a continuous curbside lane, but given the densities here and proposed commercial uses anyway, I suspect demand for curbside layovers is going to be extremely strong in this area.

Last edited:
If the eastern - dvp ramp is going to be modified like that ... does that mean they are removing the queen - dvp ramp ?

That should be the last ramp removed. It's by far the highest volume DVP ramp from the core.

While in my Utopian fantasies I would prefer to remove the DVP entirely, I recognize pragmatically that may never be on the table and certainly isn't now nor in the foreseeable future.

That being the case, @innsertnamehere is entirely correct that Eastern as a ramp pretty much has to stay. Whereas the other access points to the north, up until Bayview/Bloor can be seriously considered for removal.

Bayview/Bloor can and should be modified substantially, but must likewise remain if the DVP is staying.

Last edited:
In all my years I don't think I've ever once taken the Eastern-DVP ramp. Certainly a bit hairy for those who do with the tiny merge onto DVP n/b. Broadview will be interesting whatever is done. The makings are there for it to become one of the greater streets in the city. I do have a bit of trouble wrapping my head around how it will have its own LRT, but also carry the 504 which is the busiest route in the city, and the 505 which is likely in the top 10. How will all those converge and terminate at Broadview, rhetorically speaking.

In all my years I don't think I've ever once taken the Eastern-DVP ramp. Certainly a bit hairy for those who do with the tiny merge onto DVP n/b. Broadview will be interesting whatever is done. The makings are there for it to become one of the greater streets in the city. I do have a bit of trouble wrapping my head around how it will have its own LRT, but also carry the 504 which is the busiest route in the city, and the 505 which is likely in the top 10. How will all those converge and terminate at Broadview, rhetorically speaking.
It's a speed trap there. Eastern looks like a highway through that section and cops love to nab those goes 70+.

It's the better ramp out of there others nearby. Both Queen and Dundas (especially Dundas) would hold streetcars while cars make a left to get on the DVP.

There should be less need for 504 to end at Broadview once the new route and OL is up. It should instead terminate at the Port Lands.

Back